Marital Status on Deed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mai Ku Tiki

DIS Veteran
Good Morning!
Need some advice before proceeding with my resale purchase if anyone can please help:

Purchasing resale DVC with mine & son's name on deed. FLA does not recognize his Domestic Partnership (legal in my state & state where they reside). Next year, they will be married but she will retain her name.

Will it be necessary to spend more money changing the title to update his marital status next yr in order for his wife to receive full DVC benefits he may be entitled to then, or will their shared address be enough?

Regardless of marital status, only DVC owners are eligible for benefits And as a resale purchaser there are currently no official ones as pool hopping is suspended and TOTWL is closed.

Only the owner will have a card, and in this case it will be a digital identification.

So, there will be nothing you will need to do differently

There are no owner benefits for resale. What "benefits" do you want? If you just want him to be able to book, you could make him an associate member.

I would never own property with someone I am not married to. I would structure this as an LLC in my home state, or I would make your son an associate member. There are other options than just two unmarried humans on the title, like trusts or other choices. I wouldn't want my timeshare mixed up in their now multi-state divorce/bankruptcy/whatever, what a headache.

Last edited:
There are no owner benefits for resale. What "benefits" do you want? If you just want him to be able to book, you could make him an associate member.

I would never own property with someone I am not married to. I would structure this as an LLC in my home state, or I would make your son an associate member. There are other options than just two unmarried humans on the title, like trusts or other choices. I wouldn't want my timeshare mixed up in their now multi-state divorce/bankruptcy/whatever, what a headache.
Should've made clear: I've been to WDW almost annually since 1972.
I'm of a certain age. Not too many years of DVC vaycays ahead. My goal is to enable my son to continue as owner to use or sell DVC as he chooses without any hassle when I journey on to hang out with Walt.... :thumbsup2

Hubs & I are simplifying legal stuff as we age. A trust is in place, but he won't do WDW again. So, this way DVC remains in son's control when I'm out of the picture & hubs won't have any bother.

I checked DVC rules. When he marries, he sends MS a copy of his Marriage Certificate. Done!

As to benefits, I think it's still true that family members of owners named on deed can purchase APs? That's the only concern. And who knows what may occur in future?

If even after 8 yrs of legal Domestic Partnership, son & "wife" split someday, he & she will deal with it.
(As long as they can book a few nites at the Poly each year, the honeymoon will last forever. 🌴🌺🍹)

But if not, it doesn't affect me. I'm doing this for him as much as for me.

But thanks for your input.

If you’re buying resale, no one gets the AP “discount” anyway. Even the Blue Card owners only get the sorcerer pass, which may or may not match what you are trying to do.

Got it. In 49 years, I've seen many changes. Like E-ticket..Thought they'd be around forever. LOL. And 10-day passes were only available to international guests (my Irish friends could get them when they went to WDW but they weren't sold to USA guests.)

Ya never know what Disney may do in terms of who gets what in 10 yrs or even next week... But my son & his wife will have the option to enjoy DVC or sell it.
So I'm good. Thanks again for all your help.

My question is. Why does it matter? You either stick her name on the contract or not. So Florida recognizing it or not has little benefit.

Now if you want her to have any benefits she might get access to as a DVC resale owner (nothing official) then she should be listed on the contract since her name is different and will remain different. Even if she was going to take your sons name I would say stick it on there and its unlikely she would ever have a huge issue explaining that its from before they got married (but I dont know for sure).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter