Mardi Gras parade -- what time?

songbird

Jewish American Princess
I think I read on this board that the Mardi Gras parade would start around 2/16 this year. we'll be at Portofino 2/16-2/19.

what time is the parade? and what time will the park close on nights when they have the parade?

songbird
star4w.gif

Hi songbird,

The parade starts at 8P and following the parade is the concert featuring a headliner on weekends. I called the other day to see if I could get info on the bands and it is not yet available. The woman I spoke with told me the park closes at 8P and that the parade starts at 8P with the concert starting at 8:30P. Now I am wondering if the rest of the park is open during the parade and concert? Or is it just this area that remains open? Can anyone that attended Mardi Gras in the past help me with this please? I looked at the hours posted on the official site and they have the park closing at 8P. Just curious how this works. Thanks!

jessica5.gif

If it's like last year everything (rides and shows) closes at the scheduled time. Right at close the parade starts and immediatly following the parade the concert starts. What time the parade and concert starts generally depends on what time the park closes (7p or 8p usually this time of year).

Jim

Jim, did you get to see a concert last year? Who was there?

jessica5.gif

Concerts are held at a main stage across from Mel's Diner.

guy.gif

Barry Hom
The moderator formerly known as Barry aka usagi
Moderator, Universal and Sea World Boards

We were there last year. We actually rode the float one night. The best thing my kids got to do. I still have beads all over my house. Anyway I know the bands were better on the weekends and we were there during the week so I don't really remember them. I think KC and the sunshine band was there before we got there. It also ran every night of the week that we were there. So I guess blacking out MOn and Tues is different. It was definitely a fun thing to do. My kids were 4, 7 and 8 and loved it. We went every night which was 4 times. Funny I can't remember any of the bands. Seriously I wasn't drinking I think we just usually left after the parade because the kids were young and tired. We actually planned Feb again hoping to catch the parades again.
Patti
Portofino bound Feb 12 - Feb 22nd and very sorry that we will not be there for the March meet and birthday celebration. My husband turns 40 in March and I do in May. It's a banner year for us. I guess we will be there in spirit.

Patti,
Mardi Gras is something I am really looking forward to. Sounds like you enjoyed it too! Going back again the same time :D I read the same thing about the major bands performing on the weekends cant wait to find out who they are! How did you get to ride the float? Are you staying at Portofino the whole time? 10 days what a great vacation :) I wish you could be there in March also. We will have to plan another! :D Maybe do a same time next year trip.

jessica5.gif

I didn't get to see any of the major bands last year as I went on a weekday, but I know one of them was Pat Benetar. Most of the bands they have are well known and appeal to a wide audience (generally bands from the 70's and 80's). Sorry I don't remember more names! The stage is in the same place as the HHN stage, right across from Mel's in front of the lagoon, near the much debated Gory Grutesque Horror Make-Up show! It's definatly a good event no matter what night you go. It's definatly not as large in scale as HHN, but still very fun, especially since there is no extra charge.

Jim

Thank you again Jim for sharing. Now I know not to expect Creed :rolleyes: One more ques to anyone that may know...The band that plays on weekends..is it usually the same band fri and sat?
Thanks!

jessica5.gif

Nope.....it's usually a different band (in fact always that i know of). Makes it good for those staying the whole weekend, 2 seperate free concerts!

Jim

So, if the park closes at 8 and then the parade starts, when does the concert start? Nine-ish? So, is the parade and the concert free to only those people who were already in the park before it closed? In other words, is the parade and concert open and free to all or is it only held for people who have paid admission to the parks?

If all goes well, we'll be arriving at the HRH around 8 at night. Can we just stroll into Universal for the parade and concert without paying admission?

I wouldn't think you can watch the concert without paying admission.

guy.gif

Barry Hom

Jessica,

All 10 nights at the Portofino. In a kids suite no less. Gotta love that. We waited standby to get on the float. I think we got there around 7 pm. Just a note on the float. There is a height restriction so my youngest didn't get to ride. But trust me we threw her a lot of beads. She was kind of disappointed but my husband did the Amity start and then ran to see us again at the end. It was so much fun. I am actually trying to see if I can get us vouchers to ride this time rather than risking standby. I know some people had tickets because they were annual pass holders last year. Well we are pass holders and staying at the Portofino. That has got to count for something. Here is an email I received today.

Hi

Unfortunately we do not have any information yet on whether or not they will
be giving vouchers to be on a Mardi Gras float. At this time we have only
been given the Mardi Gras dates which will be from February 16 - March 17,
2001. Headliners will be appearing on Saturday evenings with the house band
performing during the rest of the week. Our marketing department is still
in the process of getting everything finalized. We should know more within
the coming weeks and all new informatin will be posted on our web site
www.universalstudios.com

Lisa
Universal Orlando

PS The other poster is correct. I do believe Pat Benetar was there the weekend after we were there. I'll keep you posted if I hear anything else from them.
Patti

Thank you Patti!

Keep me posted please :) 10 days in a kids suite...very nice! Thats my idea of a vacation. Thanks for also sharing the email about Mardi Gras. How old was your daughter when she couldnt ride the float? Or should I say what is the height requirement? If you even remember! I would think you being an AP holder and staying onsite should count for something. Hopefully you will get to again. :D

jessica5.gif

I don't remember the height requirement but my then 7 year old just made it. Katherine was 4 and not even close so I am sure she won't be able to ride again this year if we get on. But maybe one day.... we will just have to keep going back.
Patti

How crowded does it get after the park closes, the parade starts and the band starts?

What happens if one wants to participate in the parade and listen to band but not go to the park? Can they?

The crowds are kind of light at the beginning and end of the parade route. The Party Zone is wall-to-wall people!

You need to buy an admission ticket to view the Mardi Gras parade and band. I doubt they will let you in free.

guy.gif

Barry Hom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter