March Not-That-Madness - Our Surprisingly Smooth March 2022 Vacation! *NEW 4/3*

Newsies

Headlines don't sell papes.
Confession time! My expectations for this vacation were on the ground. Seriously, my expectations for Disney have never been lower. Recent reports about insane crowds, long wait times, poor dining reviews, and uncertain feelings about our resort and the Genie+ system all curbed my expectations for this trip before we embarked on our journey this time around.

So maybe this is the extremely low expectations talking, but... I have to say, we just arrived home from a very enjoyable week at the parks. This was my fourth vacation to WDW since the parks reopened back in 2020 and I can honestly say it was the best of the four. It's nowhere near the top of the list when it comes to our best trips EVER, but as someone who has been in a funk about the state of the Parks recently, I am really happy to say that we encountered more positives than negatives this past week. The Parks seemed cleaner than they've been the past three trips, were operating more efficiently/seemed more equipped to handle the crowds, our hotel blew my expectations out of the water, we encountered more friendly CMs than the past three trips, we were able to enjoy more entertainment offerings, in general we liked Genie+ (with some exceptions to the system), we had some great food, and we enjoyed the 50th celebration offerings.

Was everything perfect? No, Disney has a lot to work on re: crowd control, food quality, the Genie+/Lightning Lane system. But things went a lot better this trip than they did for us back in July 2021, and we'll talk about the good, the bad, and the ugly of WDW's current state throughout the TR.

With that being said, welcome to the TR! We are the Newsies family from NJ!

00-rzLKQUj5kKatSFLkdZHXV775i8RwtoKLpUn2UYhiUYO3wH0a1guVmTJxgXW-3UcqqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw

We're a party of four and we've been going to the Parks yearly since 2014. In 2017, we became DVC members at the Polynesian resort and we are (fingers crossed) hoping to expand that with a second contract by the end of the year. We loooooove all things Disney and when we're not at the parks, we're watching various streamers and vloggers together. We find so much joy in traveling to Disney together!

On the far left of the photo is Dad, our chief of transportation/logistics coordinator. He loves Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway, 7 Dwarfs Mine Train, The Magic Kingdom, watching fireworks, and of course... all things GRUMPY! He's usually the first one awake in the morning to get the coffee brewing before our trip to the parks. If there's a souvenir in the parks that lights up, he WILL find it (and purchase it).

In the middle of the photo is Grace, my younger sister! Grace is a 20-year-old college student who loves all things Ratatouille! Her favorite park is Epcot and she also loves Slinky Dog Dash, the PeopleMover, and any type of sweet snack you can find at the Confectionery.

In the bucket hat is me! I'm Kaitlyn! I'm a 24 year old performance marketing associate for a company I absolutely adore. Previously, I completed two Disney College Programs at Walt Disney World-- I live and breathe all things Disney! I love Epcot, character hunting, Rock'N'Roller Coaster, and as I found out last week: drinking at Disney's Animal Kingdom. But more on that later.

Finally, we come to Mom, my best friend ever! Seriously, I don't know what I'd do without her. Mom loves visiting the Parks at night, but would rather sleep in and spend time at the pool in the morning! Her favorite park is Magic Kingdom and she loves Winnie the Pooh, Oga's Cantina, and caramel popcorn from Karamell-Kuche.

Here are the stats on our latest vacation:

When: March 6-11, 2022
Where we stayed: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort (6-Day Park Hopper Ticket Package with Genie+)
Where we ate: Space 220, Steakhouse 71, Skipper Canteen, Primo Piatto, Banana Cabana, two or three Flower & Garden booths, Yak & Yeti, Oga's Cantina, Beaches & Cream, and other places!

If you're interested in hearing more about how we managed to have a great vacation despite crazy crowds, crazy weather, and the learning curve that came with our first time using Genie+... come along for the ride and I'll post my first update soon!

Click
here to begin!

Last edited:
I don't think I have ever been first to post that I am subscribing to a trip report!! But here I am :). Your family (and you) are adorable!! I am mother to a Kailyn (no t :)) she is only a year older then you. She loves drinking in AK lol so I can't wait to hear your adventures!!

I've been getting really nervous about my upcoming trip because it is the first one back for my husband. It certainly doesn't have to be perfect but I don't want it to "suck"! (Even a sucky day at Disney is still a day at Disney!)

I can't wait to read about your trip! You've already set my mind at ease a bit!

Joining in :surfweb: We were there March 2-6 so very interested in reading about your trip. I seriously need a do-over - learned that our young grandsons just weren't ready for Disney. We missed SO much. On the upside we had great experiences with CM's, dining was good, encountered no rude guests and the weather was perfect. Did OK with Genie + but I think I would do better next time around. It was hard with a party of 7.

I don't think I have ever been first to post that I am subscribing to a trip report!! But here I am :). Your family (and you) are adorable!! I am mother to a Kailyn (no t :)) she is only a year older then you. She loves drinking in AK lol so I can't wait to hear your adventures!!

Hey hey, welcome aboard!! Thanks for joining in! Kailyn has GREAT taste... drinking in AK > drinking in Epcot!!

I've been getting really nervous about my upcoming trip because it is the first one back for my husband. It certainly doesn't have to be perfect but I don't want it to "suck"! (Even a sucky day at Disney is still a day at Disney!)

I can't wait to read about your trip! You've already set my mind at ease a bit!

Hey there, thanks for checking in! You're going to have a great time at the Parks :) Crowds are up, but CMs are great and the Parks are running waaaay more efficiently than they have been in recent past. You're going to have a blast!

Joining in :mickeyjum

Hey, thanks for joining and commenting!

Joining in! Glad to hear there's been some positive experiences lately.

Hey, thank you so much for joining in! We had a great time :)

Joining in :surfweb: We were there March 2-6 so very interested in reading about your trip. I seriously need a do-over - learned that our young grandsons just weren't ready for Disney. We missed SO much. On the upside we had great experiences with CM's, dining was good, encountered no rude guests and the weather was perfect. Did OK with Genie + but I think I would do better next time around. It was hard with a party of 7.

Hey hey, I was just thinking about your trip! I'm sorry you missed a lot-- we had a similar experience with Genie+, it will be better next time around for sure! Glad to hear you enjoyed the dining and weather as much as we did!

Your post was so reassuring. The last time we were at Disney was Dec 2019 right before the world shut down. We were thinking of trying again soon but with all the reports of crazy crowds and Genie + we’ve been very resistant (we have kids ages 3,8&12). So happy to hear all was managed and fun was had.

Your post was so reassuring. The last time we were at Disney was Dec 2019 right before the world shut down. We were thinking of trying again soon but with all the reports of crazy crowds and Genie + we’ve been very resistant (we have kids ages 3,8&12). So happy to hear all was managed and fun was had.
I also meant to say I’m eager to hear more from your trip and how you managed

Here and looking forward to reading all about your trip! I'm still deciding if I am going to write about our trip :)

Confession time! My expectations for this vacation were on the ground. Seriously, my expectations for Disney have never been lower. Recent reports about insane crowds, long wait times, poor dining reviews, and uncertain feelings about our resort and the Genie+ system all curbed my expectations for this trip before we embarked on our journey this time around.

So maybe this is the extremely low expectations talking, but... I have to say, we just arrived home from a very enjoyable week at the parks. This was my fourth vacation to WDW since the parks reopened back in 2020 and I can honestly say it was the best of the four. It's nowhere near the top of the list when it comes to our best trips EVER, but as someone who has been in a funk about the state of the Parks recently, I am really happy to say that we encountered more positives than negatives this past week. The Parks seemed cleaner than they've been the past three trips, were operating more efficiently/seemed more equipped to handle the crowds, our hotel blew my expectations out of the water, we encountered more friendly CMs than the past three trips, we were able to enjoy more entertainment offerings, in general we liked Genie+ (with some exceptions to the system), we had some great food, and we enjoyed the 50th celebration offerings.

Was everything perfect? No, Disney has a lot to work on re: crowd control, food quality, the Genie+/Lightning Lane system. But things went a lot better this trip than they did for us back in July 2021, and we'll talk about the good, the bad, and the ugly of WDW's current state throughout the TR.

With that being said, welcome to the TR! We are the Newsies family from NJ!

00-rzLKQUj5kKatSFLkdZHXV775i8RwtoKLpUn2UYhiUYO3wH0a1guVmTJxgXW-3UcqqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw

We're a party of four and we've been going to the Parks yearly since 2014. In 2017, we became DVC members at the Polynesian resort and we are (fingers crossed) hoping to expand that with a second contract by the end of the year. We loooooove all things Disney and when we're not at the parks, we're watching various streamers and vloggers together. We find so much joy in traveling to Disney together!

On the far left of the photo is Dad, our chief of transportation/logistics coordinator. He loves Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway, 7 Dwarfs Mine Train, The Magic Kingdom, watching fireworks, and of course... all things GRUMPY! He's usually the first one awake in the morning to get the coffee brewing before our trip to the parks. If there's a souvenir in the parks that lights up, he WILL find it (and purchase it).

In the middle of the photo is Grace, my younger sister! Grace is a 20-year-old college student who loves all things Ratatouille! Her favorite park is Epcot and she also loves Slinky Dog Dash, the PeopleMover, and any type of sweet snack you can find at the Confectionery.

In the bucket hat is me! I'm Kaitlyn! I'm a 24 year old performance marketing associate for a company I absolutely adore. Previously, I completed two Disney College Programs at Walt Disney World-- I live and breathe all things Disney! I love Epcot, character hunting, Rock'N'Roller Coaster, and as I found out last week: drinking at Disney's Animal Kingdom. But more on that later.

Finally, we come to Mom, my best friend ever! Seriously, I don't know what I'd do without her. Mom loves visiting the Parks at night, but would rather sleep in and spend time at the pool in the morning! Her favorite park is Magic Kingdom and she loves Winnie the Pooh, Oga's Cantina, and caramel popcorn from Karamell-Kuche.

Here are the stats on our latest vacation:

When: March 6-11, 2022
Where we stayed: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort (6-Day Park Hopper Ticket Package with Genie+)
Where we ate: Space 220, Steakhouse 71, Skipper Canteen, Primo Piatto, Banana Cabana, two or three Flower & Garden booths, Yak & Yeti, Oga's Cantina, Beaches & Cream, and other places!

If you're interested in hearing more about how we managed to have a great vacation despite crazy crowds, crazy weather, and the learning curve that came with our first time using Genie+... come along for the ride and I'll post my first update soon!

This is great to hear. I went in January of this year and enjoyed myself also, as did my girlfriend. We also stayed at CBR. I wish we had been able to get reservations at Space 220.
I enjoy hearing from someone else a WDW trip and still be a lot of fun.

Love your trip reports! I'm really glad to hear you had a mostly positive experience. My husband and I have a big trip planned for May and the recent reports about disappointing visits have had me really down in the dumps, so it's great to hear that things might be on an upswing. Looming forward to hearing about your trip!

Following! Excited to hear your thoughts on all the changes with the 50th and everything else at Disney!

Following! I'm new to the disboards and JUST finished your last trip report and loved it! So happy to be following this one from the beginning. Can't wait to hear about all of the fun!

Following! So excited to hear about your trip - and your fam (and your description of them) is absolutely joyful! The pic brought a huge smile to my face!:tigger:

I also meant to say I’m eager to hear more from your trip and how you managed

Hey hey, thank you so much for following along! The Parks were great this week-- definitely a little different than 2019, but with some patience and tempered expectations, we ended up having a blast and doing almost everything we wanted to do at least once. Hopefully, my report (and others!) can give you a good enough picture for the current state of the parks!

Here and looking forward to reading all about your trip! I'm still deciding if I am going to write about our trip :)

Thank you so much, I appreciate you joining along! I love writing about trips and I highly encourage others to write, write, write!

This is great to hear. I went in January of this year and enjoyed myself also, as did my girlfriend. We also stayed at CBR. I wish we had been able to get reservations at Space 220.
I enjoy hearing from someone else a WDW trip and still be a lot of fun.

Hey, thanks so much for joining along! I'm glad you guys enjoyed yourself back in January-- CBR was great!

Following along! love your trip reports

Thank you so much, this means the world to me!

Love your trip reports! I'm really glad to hear you had a mostly positive experience. My husband and I have a big trip planned for May and the recent reports about disappointing visits have had me really down in the dumps, so it's great to hear that things might be on an upswing. Looming forward to hearing about your trip!

Thank you so much, I appreciate the comment so much! I definitely think the parks are coming back to normal. Operations were running soooo much better this trip than they were back in September when I did my solo trip. Wait times and crowds are still pretty bad BUT at least the Parks seem more equipped to handle most areas as far as staffing goes. I think you're going to have a great time in May!

Following! Excited to hear your thoughts on all the changes with the 50th and everything else at Disney!

Thank you so much, I appreciate it!

Following! I'm new to the disboards and JUST finished your last trip report and loved it! So happy to be following this one from the beginning. Can't wait to hear about all of the fun!

Hey, welcome to the DIS! Thank you so much for the nice comment :) I can't wait to share more and I'm so glad you're here!

Joining in. Looking forward to hearing about this trip. Glad you had a great time!

Hey, thank you so much for joining in, I appreciate this so much!

Joining in! So excited to read all about your adorable family’s adventures!

Thank you so much for being here, I appreciate it!

Following! So excited to hear about your trip - and your fam (and your description of them) is absolutely joyful! The pic brought a huge smile to my face!:tigger:

Hey, thanks for following and for the sweet comment! I can't wait to share more :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter