Manual Wheelchair rental

Discussion in 'disABILITIES!' started by janette, Jan 22, 2019.

1. janette

janette DIS Veteran

I'm going to be traveling in March with my 85yo MIL; we have a split stay at Animal Kingdom Villas and Saratoga Treehouses. When I traveled in the past with my mom we used a resort wheel chair but that won't be practical for a split stay. I'd like to rent one that is very portable; with my mom we were able to fold it up like a stroller if needed and that helped on buses. My MIL is very petite so don't need anything big. Any recommendations on which rental provides a smaller lightweight manual chair? Thank you.

RaySharpton likes this.
  2. RaySharpton

RaySharpton Retired and going to Disney.

Hi, janette. I saw some other threads here about folding wheelchairs and comfort between the four-wheel hospital type transport chair and a regular wheelchair.

Here is the link: https://www.disboards.com/threads/suggestion-for-lightweight-wheelchair-rental.3728677/

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. janette

janette DIS Veteran

Thanks Ray! Good to talk to you, I haven't been around here much.

RaySharpton likes this.
  5. RaySharpton

RaySharpton Retired and going to Disney.

Hi, janette. Your name just registered with me. I am sure others will come with personal experiences.

One person mentioned she didn't like one particular transport chair because it was uncomfortable to sit in over time in the parks, especially with bumps or cobblestone pavement. I have to admit, I do not like bouncing with driving my mobility scooter and now my electric wheelchair.

6. JennyDrake

JennyDrake Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

I used the very chair you are asking about from Walker Mobility and had a great experience.

janette likes this.
  7. mamabunny

mamabunny DIS Veteran

Janette, just as an FYI, there are no more Resort wheelchairs. Parking lot chairs are hard to come by, and if you are very lucky, you might find a stray chair at the Resort Bus Stops at the Parks. I think it would be so much better for y'all to rent, just to make sure you have one for your MIL.

I hope y'all have a great trip - March (and Flower & Garden) is so pretty!

arminnie likes this.
  8. Bete

Bete DIS Veteran

I would think about buying a lightweight, travel portable wheelchair. You can probably get one for $150. They are much lighter and easier to push then the ones you rent.

Ours fit in our car trunk. We bought a padded cushion, too. For airlines, the wheelchair doesn't count against you for luggage.

arminnie likes this.
  9. SueM in MN

SueM in MN combining the teacups with a roller coaster Moderator

A few years ago, the resort wheelchairs changed to being reserved for emergencies and urgent needs.

People who know they will need one should plan to rent one from an outside company.

mamabunny and RaySharpton like this.
  10. ChevyNat

ChevyNat DIS Veteran

Which company do you suggest? I am looking for renting one for my mom when we visit in May! We are going to Disney for 5 nights then transferring to Universal Studios for 4 nights. Do the rental place deliver to the resort then pick it back up again? Thanks everyone for your help!

11. kaytieeldr

kaytieeldr Post hoc, ergo propter hoc