Mandatory Covid-19 test in Cannes, Unless Fully Vaccinated or Boosted Within 270 Days of Arrival

cwis

DIS Veteran
Just got this message from Guest Services regarding our day at Cannes:
Good afternoon,
The European Health Authority requires that
Guests whose last vaccination dose is older
than 270 days to take a COVID-19 test upon
debarking in Cannes.
In compliance with these regulations, testing
will take place in the comfort of your
stateroom on 5/25 (Livorno) at 8pm for 1st
seating Guests, and 7pm for the 2nd seating
Guests.
We kindly ask for you to remain in your
stateroom during the time listed above. The
process will take less than 15 minutes. A
Prenetics Team Member will knock on your
door to provide you with the test and guide
you through the process.
If you have a vaccination record that
indicates last vaccination date after August
31, 2021. Please bring the vaccinated record
to the Port Adventure Desk (Deck 3 midship)
to verity
as soon as possible this evening from 6.00
pm to 10.00pm.
Thank you for your understanding and have
a magical evening.
Attached the screen as well.

1653403485857.png

The attachment actually reads that you need to test if you were fully vaccinated more than 270+ days ago, not unless you've been vaccinated more than 270+ days ago. They want more recent vaccinations and not older vaccinations. The solution is to get a booster before you go.

Edited, I see you edited your subject :thumbsup2.

Last edited:
France requires booster shots of your original vaccine course was more than 270 days ago or else you need to be tested. We’re going to Paris before our cruise so I have been paying attention to this.

France requires booster shots of your original vaccine course was more than 270 days ago or else you need to be tested. We’re going to Paris before our cruise so I have been paying attention to this.
Really? I'm going to Paris in early July, I had no idea but good thing I read this. I was boosted in October so I shouldn't have to test . . .

Really? I'm going to Paris in early July, I had no idea but good thing I read this. I was boosted in October so I shouldn't have to test . . .
Oops sorry I missed a key line in my post. If you aren’t boosted you can enter but you need to be tested. Currently you aren’t required to isolate if not boosted but France seems to change things a lot so if you are going to France I’d get a booster.

Oops sorry I missed a key line in my post. If you aren’t boosted you can enter but you need to be tested. Currently you aren’t required to isolate if not boosted but France seems to change things a lot so if you are going to France I’d get a booster.
Okay thanks for clarifying. I'm already boosted so I think I'm all set, then. Enjoy your trip! :)

I believe you have it backwards.
From the French Interior Ministry: French Interior Ministry

Since 1 February 2022, in order for their vaccination schedule to continue to be recognized as complete, persons aged 18 years or older wishing to enter French territory must have received a booster dose of messenger RNA vaccine no later than nine months after receiving the last mandatory dose.

I believe you have it backwards.
From the French Interior Ministry: French Interior Ministry
Since 1 February 2022, in order for their vaccination schedule to continue to be recognized as complete, persons aged 18 years or older wishing to enter French territory must have received a booster dose of messenger RNA vaccine no later than nine months after receiving the last mandatory dose.
This has to be a mistranslation. It makes no sense to stipulate that your booster had to be "no later than" nine months after completing your primary series. What if it wasn't, and you just had your booster a month ago? Are you supposed to start over?

The french page says:

"Depuis le 1er février 2022, pour que leur schéma vaccinal reste reconnu comme complet, les personnes de dix-huit ans ou plus souhaitant entrer sur le territoire national doivent avoir reçu une dose de vaccin à ARN messager complémentaire au plus tard 9 mois suivant l'injection de la dernière dose requise."

That does, indeed, literally translate to "no later than 9 months after," at least by my imperfect french, but I'm pretty sure it's meant to be interpreted as "... must receive a booster dose if it is later than 9 months after the last required dose."

Maybe a native french speaker can confirm.

Funny thing here is that nowhere does it imply, in english or french, that the booster dose itself must be within the last nine months. And this is also inconsistent with other EU countries that do not currently put an "expiry date" on booster doses.

Just got this message from Guest Services regarding our day at Cannes:

Attached the screen as well.

View attachment 671371

Are they charging to test?

I don't especially care if they test me, but I'd rather not have to pay for it. My "booster" was last summer (taken to satisfy cruise requirements at the time, when all of the cruise lines were confused over the validity of mixed mRNA vaccines), and where I live I'm not eligible for a fourth dose, even if I wanted one.

I have to confess I am French, and didn't know about it. Quite a few people seemed to learn it with Guest Services message.
In addition to the message on the app, Disney went forward and the stateroom hosts/hostesses put a printed version of the same message on everyone's bed.
This has to be a mistranslation. It makes no sense to stipulate that your booster had to be "no later than" nine months after completing your primary series. What if it wasn't, and you just had your booster a month ago? Are you supposed to start over?

The french page says:

"Depuis le 1er février 2022, pour que leur schéma vaccinal reste reconnu comme complet, les personnes de dix-huit ans ou plus souhaitant entrer sur le territoire national doivent avoir reçu une dose de vaccin à ARN messager complémentaire au plus tard 9 mois suivant l'injection de la dernière dose requise."

That does, indeed, literally translate to "no later than 9 months after," at least by my imperfect french, but I'm pretty sure it's meant to be interpreted as "... must receive a booster dose if it is later than 9 months after the last required dose."

Funny thing here is that nowhere does it imply, in english or french, that the booster dose itself must be within the last nine months. And this is also inconsistent with other EU countries that do not currently put an "expiry date" on booster doses.
I am a Native French speaker. Obviously will not give legal advices, however I just took some time to carefully read all the documentation from the Ministère de l'intérieur website.

The key here is that, coming from a “green” country (i.e. Italy/Spain/the rest of the European Union) you need to, either:
  1. be fully vaccinated: La preuve d'un schéma vaccinal complet redevient suffisante pour arriver en France, quel que soit le pays de provenance, comme c'était le cas avant la diffusion du variant Omicron.
  2. OR prove you don't have covid: Pour les voyageurs non vaccinés, l’obligation de présenter un test négatif pour se rendre en France demeure.
Now, regarding vaccination, the rules are as follows:
  1. your may enter 28 days after your last dose (Jannsen) / 7 days after your last dose (Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZenecca, Vaxzevria/Covishield),
  2. AND if you got a first dose with a vaccine not in the list above, 7 days after a booster shot from an ARNm vaccine of the list,
  3. AND if you're 18 years or older and if your last dose was more than 9 months ago, you need a booster shot with an ARNm vaccine
Reference: comme complet 28 jours après l'administration d'une dose pour le vaccin Janssen, 7 jours après l'administration d'une deuxième dose pour les autres vaccins reconnus par l'agence européenne des médicaments (Pfizer/Comirnaty, Moderna, AstraZeneca/Vaxzevria/Covishield) et, pour les personnes ayant reçu toutes les doses requises d'un vaccin autorisé par l'organisation mondiale de la santé ne bénéficiant pas d'une reconnaissance de l'agence européenne des médicaments, 7 jours après l'administration d'une dose complémentaire d'un vaccin à ARN messager bénéficiant d'une telle reconnaissance. Depuis le 1er février 2022, pour que leur schéma vaccinal reste reconnu comme complet, les personnes de dix-huit ans ou plus souhaitant entrer sur le territoire national doivent avoir reçu une dose de vaccin à ARN messager complémentaire au plus tard 9 mois suivant l'injection de la dernière dose requise.

Last, if you need to prove you don't have Covid, you may:
  1. provide a PCR test less than 72 hours,
  2. OR an antigen test, less than 48 hours,
  3. OR a proof of recovery, i.e. a positive Covid test that is no sooner than 11 days earlier and no more than 6 months.
For reference see https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/sites...egles-a-respecter-deplacements-pays-verts.pdf: Résultat positif à un test PCR ou antigénique réalisé plus de onze jours et moins de six mois auparavant. Ce certificat n’est valable que pour une durée de six mois à compter de la date de réalisation de l’examen ou du test

Last but not least, CHILDREN 11 YEARS OR YOUNGER ARE EXEMPTED.
For reference, open “Vous souhaitez entrer sur le territoire français” (i.e. You want to enter French territory) which states: Les enfants de moins de 12 ans sont dispensés de ces formalités.

Are they charging to test?

I don't especially care if they test me, but I'd rather not have to pay for it. My "booster" was last summer (taken to satisfy cruise requirements at the time, when all of the cruise lines were confused over the validity of mixed mRNA vaccines), and where I live I'm not eligible for a fourth dose, even if I wanted one.
It is my understanding that testing is free. If I were you I would worry more about being locked down in the ship if the test comes back positive.

Last edited:
Now, regarding vaccination, the rules are as follows:
  1. your may enter 28 days after your last dose (Jannsen) / 7 days after your last dose (Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZenecca, Vaxzevria/Covishield),
  2. AND if you got a first dose with a vaccine not in the list above, 7 days after a booster shot from an ARNm vaccine of the list,
  3. AND if you're 18 years or older and if your last dose was more than 9 months ago, you need a booster shot with an ARNm vaccine

Thanks for confirming, that was my understanding as well.

But here's the question: if your last shot, more than 9 months ago, was itself an mRNA booster (third shot), is a second booster shot required? I don't see that, either in my passable-but-limited french or the english translation, but that seems to be DCL's interpretation (or what they've been told) based on your original post.

It is my understanding that testing is free. If I were you I would worry more about being locked down in the ship if the test comes back positive.
Well, obviously I'd prefer not to take the test, and I'd likely just get another booster if I could - even though it's medically pretty pointless - just to avoid the issue. But since my jurisdiction will not administer fourth shots to healthy individuals under the age of 60, my options are limited.

On the upside, our French stops are towards the end of our 12-night itinerary, so while it certainly would suck for a test to come back positive at any time during the cruise, I'll be far more concerned with the pre-boarding test.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

The french page says:

Native french speaker here: It translates to « must have received a booster dose no later than 9 months after the last required dose ».

Native french speaker here: It translates to « must have received a booster dose no later than 9 months after the last required dose ».

Yeah, I know that's the literal translation, but it doesn't make any sense. Maybe it's just one of those things that doesn't translate well?

In English, that sentence implies that if your last shot was a booster taken a year ago, but only a month or two after your primary series was completed, you're considered fully vaccinated. You "received a booster no later than 9 months after the last required dose." But if you completed your primary series twelve months ago, and had a booster last month, then you're out of luck - because your booster was "later than 9 months after the last required dose".

And I still don't see any requirement for a second booster if the first booster (third shot) was more than 9 months ago. Best I can tell, France itself is limiting fourth shots to the 60+ population, so I'm not sure how it makes sense to require one of younger travellers.

Doesn't add up, but I guess I'll find out in a couple of months. Or I'll go to Gatineau for a booster, just like I did the last time. 🙄

In English, that sentence implies that if your last shot was a booster taken a year ago, but only a month or two after your primary series was completed, you're considered fully vaccinated. You "received a booster no later than 9 months after the last required dose." But if you completed your primary series twelve months ago, and had a booster last month, then you're out of luck - because your booster was "later than 9 months after the last required dose".
No, it's not the way it is. Read again my post or @mevelandry's: if your last dose was more than 9 months ago, be it your second, third, or whatever, you need another dose, that has to be an ARNm vaccine.

So you know, with these rules, everyone living in France (and I believe the EU) can comply with these rules. Those who received a booster early are eligible for a second booster, and those who don't are well within the 9 months window.

Sorry for those living in countries with different regulations that received their last dose more than 9 months ago and are not eligible for an additional one, it looks like they are in a loophole and will need to get tested.

No, it's not the way it is. Read again my post or @mevelandry's: if your last dose was more than 9 months ago, be it your second, third, or whatever, you need another dose, that has to be an ARNm vaccine.
😄 I have read it. Many times. It is the exact same translation I came up with. And what I am telling you, as a native english speaker, is that it does mean what I said, in english.

What you're saying is that the same sentence in french, or read by a native french speaker, has a different meaning, which I completely believe. But in english, there is no ambiguity. What I described is really the only way it can be interpreted. The one place it's a little unclear (again, in english) is around what is meant by the "last required dose". In context, it would seem that the "required" dose refers to the primary series, in which case a single booster would be adequate regardless of how long ago it was taken - which, incidentally, would be consistent with the rules in the rest of the EU.

If you're telling me it's interpreted differently in France, fine. At the end of the day, all that really matters is how DCL interprets it anyway.

So you know, with these rules, everyone living in France (and I believe the EU) can comply with these rules. Those who received a booster early are eligible for a second booster, and those who don't are well within the 9 months window.
Sure, I can believe that too. The most recent information I could find was from April, and it may well have changed since then. Thanks for the info.

https://www.sante.fr/cf/centres-vaccination-covid.html

La quatrième dose de vaccin est ouverte :

• aux personnes immunodéprimées et aux plus de 80 ans ayant reçu leur dose de rappel depuis plus de 3 mois ;
  • aux personnes âgées de 60 ans à 79 ans dès 6 mois après l’injection du premier rappel ou dès 6 mois après la dernière infection.
Perhaps what you meant is that only those over age 60 would have gotten an "early" booster more than 9 months ago anyway, which is probably true. It's the same in Canada, with a few exceptions. But still, it would appear that the French government does not feel that second boosters are necessary at this time for French residents under the age of 60, regardless of how long ago they got their third shot.

😄 I have read it. Many times. It is the exact same translation I came up with. And what I am telling you, as a native english speaker, is that it does mean what I said, in english.
Sorry if I appeared to you as if I was being rude. I know I'm French but I try to behave :love:
What you're saying is that the same sentence in french, or read by a native french speaker, has a different meaning, which I completely believe. But in english, there is no ambiguity. What I described is really the only way it can be interpreted. The one place it's a little unclear (again, in english) is around what is meant by the "last required dose". In context, it would seem that the "required" dose refers to the primary series, in which case a single booster would be adequate regardless of how long ago it was taken - which, incidentally, would be consistent with the rules in the rest of the EU.
The way I read it, the “last required dose” is phrased like it because the rules of how many doses you need are somehow complex and varied over time:
— in the early days, you needed a dose only if you hadn't caught covid;
— at some point if you needed a 2nd dose if you hadn't received an ARNm vaccine;
— later most needed a second dose unless being positive to Covid (which at this stage was an issue for traveling to some countries that required 2 doses for everyone);
— then you would have needed a booster shot (disregarding how many doses you had) with an ARNm vaccine
— then certain groups (based on age or illness) may receive additional boosters

To me it is pretty smart saying “last required dose” because it alleviates you from describing all the possible paths and number of doses. One you are at the “I received my first booster” this dose should be the “last required dose” and you probably would need a new booster in 9 months (unless things change in the meantime).

Once again I am not a lawyer, and I would even say your reading is perfectly valid and stands ground grammatically speaking. I would maybe trust mine more, based on a hobby I have of reading official documentation and French legal texts, but I could very much be mistaken.
If you're telling me it's interpreted differently in France, fine. At the end of the day, all that really matters is how DCL interprets it anyway.
That is very true. The French government specifically exempts children under 12, and I don't believe Disney has this exemption in place. (Didn't ask as we don't have children nor do we know any parties on the ship who does.)
Just for the record, this French government source appears to disagree:

https://www.sante.fr/cf/centres-vaccination-covid.html

La quatrième dose de vaccin est ouverte :

• aux personnes immunodéprimées et aux plus de 80 ans ayant reçu leur dose de rappel depuis plus de 3 mois ;
  • aux personnes âgées de 60 ans à 79 ans dès 6 mois après l’injection du premier rappel ou dès 6 mois après la dernière infection.
That one I can tell I am correct, but for a very specific reason: the calendar.
We started our vaccination campaign late in France, compared to other countries.
I received my booster at the end of November, 2021, and was maybe in the first two weeks this campaign was open. Which means I am good until August (we have elections in June and I expect things will change after that).
As you correctly found out, some other groups (based on age/illness) were eligible before November, but these people at also eligible for a 2nd booster, which would further extend the 9 months period.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!