Malasadas

No...at least not since I was there in November of 2018. We had to drive to the bakery in Honolulu or there are several mobile trucks that sell them. It's worth it!

I think you can still get mini ones at Ulu Cafe.
They are not quite as authentic as the ones from Leonards etc but they delicious. The dough is a little less egg-y than the big ones. I took this off the internet but it gives you an idea of how small they are.

upload_2019-4-22_21-22-10.png

We were there in September 2016 and they sold them in the mornings at Ulu Café, just as @alohamom mentions. But they were only available in the morning and went quickly.

e had to drive to the bakery in Honolulu or there are several mobile trucks that sell them.

The bakery known for malasadas is Leonard's. They have a store in Honolulu, and they also have a food truck that is permanently parked at the outlets on the way to Aulani. You can see it from the highway, its right off the exit. The food truck is much closer and easier to visit from Aulani and they had a good amount of kinds to choose from. Definitely worth the stop!

We were there in September 2016 and they sold them in the mornings at Ulu Café, just as @alohamom mentions. But they were only available in the morning and went quickly.

The bakery known for malasadas is Leonard's. They have a store in Honolulu, and they also have a food truck that is permanently parked at the outlets on the way to Aulani. You can see it from the highway, its right off the exit. The food truck is much closer and easier to visit from Aulani and they had a good amount of kinds to choose from. Definitely worth the stop!

Thank you...I was hoping...wishful thinking on my part.. the food truck sounds good though!

I second this. Get them fresh from Leonard's Bakery.

We just got back from our first ever stay at Aulani and yes they do still sell the mini ones at the Ulu Cafe. They were $1.50 each and we saw them throughout the day and afternoon.

We just got back from our first ever stay at Aulani and yes they do still sell the mini ones at the Ulu Cafe. They were $1.50 each and we saw them throughout the day and afternoon.

Were they sold individually? When we were there, they were sold as a box of four (like the photo above) and they stored in them in the pastry case. I don't recall the cost.

Were they sold individually? When we were there, they were sold as a box of four (like the photo above) and they stored in them in the pastry case. I don't recall the cost.
Yes they were sold individually and you just grabbed them out of the pastry case along with the other items - e.g. bear claws, cookies, etc .

Another recommendation for Leonards. In addition to the malasadas they also have a portuguese sweet bread (Pao Doce) that is wonderful with coffee in the morning. I don't believe they carry it at the truck though.

I didn’t care for the ones at Ulu. My kids loved them. We always go to the Leonard’s truck at the outlets. So worth it!

Yes they were sold individually and you just grabbed them out of the pastry case along with the other items - e.g. bear claws, cookies, etc .

That’s good to hear. When I was there in 201) they wouldn’t sell anything but a 6 pack which is a problem if you’re the only one eating them. I tried to ask for a half serve and they said no. Although I think they were cooking to order which I prefer. I’m fussy about liking hot fresh donuts.

I didn’t care for the ones at Ulu. My kids loved them. We always go to the Leonard’s truck at the outlets. So worth it!

I think the ones at Ulu are not a traditional recipe and that is why I liked them. My whole family much prefers Leonards or any other traditional malasada with that egg-y rich taste.
I would say try the ones at Ulu but if you can, also try a more authentic one somewhere else and compare

Hmm.. I've had the Leonard's truck ones a few times, but it's not as consistent as the actual store or Ulu's. The truck seems to fry them too much and they get kinda burnt for my tastes. I actually prefer the Ulu ones.

So glad to see that we can try these at Aulani as we won't be hiring a car. We may take an Uber to Target for supplies for the villa though - is Target near one of the Leonard's food trucks?

So glad to see that we can try these at Aulani as we won't be hiring a car. We may take an Uber to Target for supplies for the villa though - is Target near one of the Leonard's food trucks?

Not really - Target is close by, maybe 5mins up the highway at Kapolei. The Malasada van is further up the highway at Waikele, near the factory outlets (maybe 10-15mins).

Not really - Target is close by, maybe 5mins up the highway at Kapolei. The Malasada van is further up the highway at Waikele, near the factory outlets (maybe 10-15mins).

Oh no - that's even worse! If our DD knows there are factory outlets nearby, she'll want to visit those too! :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter