Make-Up PRIMER....do u use it?

lisaross

DIS Veteran
i was in Sephora last week - looking for a translucent powder - they recommended the Bare Essentuals Mineral Veil - i got tinted not sure if i like the tinted may get the regual translucent.

But anyway i got a sample of a primer - maybe the smashbox not sure of the brand, but i got the green - just put it on this am and wow it goes on so so smooth and feels great. I usually wear tinted moisturizer but she said to use the primer just w/the powder. anyway, how do u wear the primer - can u wear it alone? it just makes my skin feel GREAT!!

Wondering ur routine.

thank u

I use Sue Devitt(?) primer. When I first bought it, I thought I was just letting them talk me into "another" product that I won't really use. I don't really wear a lot of make (and yes I am from NJ ;)

I love my primer. Mine is blue. It takes all the redness out of my pasty white skin. I use it with my tinted moisturizer and I think my skin looks and feels great. I actually think the little crease (wrinkle :eek:) that I was noticing above my eyebrow is going away.

I am very satisfied!

Do u also put on regular moisturizer b4 the primer?

I use Sue Devitt(?) primer. When I first bought it, I thought I was just letting them talk me into "another" product that I won't really use. I don't really wear a lot of make (and yes I am from NJ ;)

I love my primer. Mine is blue. It takes all the redness out of my pasty white skin. I use it with my tinted moisturizer and I think my skin looks and feels great. I actually think the little crease (wrinkle :eek:) that I was noticing above my eyebrow is going away.

I am very satisfied!

I use the Prescriptives primer. I have very oily skin so I don't use a moisturizer. Just the primer and then foundation. I love the way my skin feels and looks. The rest of my makeup goes on smoothly. I'll have to find another brand since Prescriptives is gone.

I hadn't been using primer until my last trip to Disney World. I have very oily skin and the primer helps keep it in check and helps my makeup go on even better. I have the oil-free Light one from Smashbox but I tried a sample of MAC's oil-free primer and I am :cloud9:. I put the primer on after I've put on my acne meds and moisturizer. :thumbsup2

As soon as I get out of the shower I put my moisturizer on. Then I comb out my hair, get dressed, make the bed (LOL) etc. Then I put on my make-up.

I do think I need a little bit of time for the moisturizer to "sink-in" before I put on the primer.

again, I love the way it cancels out the redness in my skin, without me having to wear a lot of make-up. I have two part-time jobs, one is a naturalist with the County Park System and the other is tutoring math at the local community college. Both jobs encourage a casual but neat appearance. Nothing to 'made-up (i.e. "Jersey Girl"). The primer helps me look like I have naturally even toned, smooth skin.

Thanks, thats pretty much my routine - moisturize after washing my face, then let it soak in then i usually put on the tinted moisturizer, but now i have a tan so today i used the primer (for the 1st time) think i'm going to go out and buy it, i only have a sample and i LOVE how it feels - then i put the powder over - thinking i can probably wear the primer alone! I'm not a big make-up person either - throw on some mascara the days i work and lipgloss and i'm good to go.

I'm not sure i'm gonna keep my mineral veil - so messy - any tips on a good compact translucent powder???
As soon as I get out of the shower I put my moisturizer on. Then I comb out my hair, get dressed, make the bed (LOL) etc. Then I put on my make-up.

I do think I need a little bit of time for the moisturizer to "sink-in" before I put on the primer.

again, I love the way it cancels out the redness in my skin, without me having to wear a lot of make-up. I have two part-time jobs, one is a naturalist with the County Park System and the other is tutoring math at the local community college. Both jobs encourage a casual but neat appearance. Nothing to 'made-up (i.e. "Jersey Girl"). The primer helps me look like I have naturally even toned, smooth skin.

I've become completely hooked on using a primer on my face before my make-up, but mine is a bit unorthodox. I wash and moisterize my face in the morning and then run off to get dressed.

I then put the primer on and my mineral foundation on top of it. What's a bit unorthodox is my primer. I followed a tip I got ages ago here on the Dis boards and use Monistat Anti-Chafing gel. It sounds a bit strange, but it works fantastic. It's supposed to be nearly an exact dupe of Smashbox's primer ingredient wise, but at just a small portion of the price. It doesn't bother my sensitive skin at all. I can't live without it anymore.

You ladies are probably going to laugh at me, but I read about this last year on the Budget board, and it works great. Go to Walmart or the drug store and buy a tube of Monistat Anti-Chafing Gel. It's not the medicated kind you use up inside, but rather a gel (that dries like a powder) that you use for areas where you get chafed.

The main ingredient is dimethicone, which is the same ingredient as the uber-expensive Smashbox primer. Makeup message boards have many posts about this, and if you look at the reviews on Drugstore.com a lot of people talk about using it for a makeup primer. You use a very small amount...less than a pea size drop.

Best part? It only costs $6 - $8 for a tube that lasts close to a year with daily usage. My makeup used to literally slide off my face after a few hours, but with this, it still looks good when I take it off at bedtime.

This stuff is multi-purpose too. I sometimes use it for its intended purpose, which is chafing around my panty line and bra line. It's good to help prevent blisters on your feet too. My husband and son got chafed down below on vacation last year, and said it worked really well for that also. We now have 2 tubes of it in the house...one in my makeup bag, and another for its more practical purposes.

I love the primer from smashbox, it's great. However, I've been using their powedered foundation "Halo" and I love it without using primer! It's light and doesn't make me feel like I'm wearing cake :)

I picked up Maybeline's Anti Age Rewind Primer this weekend. I bought it along with the Age Rewinder Eraser foundation and got it for half off. It was regularly $8.99 so i picked it up for $4.50. :banana:

So far it feels great on my skin. So silky and soft. I will post back later on how it holds up today. I had read several reviews online and this primer got very good reviews so here is hoping.

On a side note I did look in Walmart, Walgreens and CVS for the anti-chaffing and was unable to find it.

I found the monostat anti chafing cream for around $5 at Walmart. However it took a while to find it. It was located next to the condoms, and near the monostat yeast infection creams.
I compared it to my smashbox primer and can find no difference. I used Smashbox on onehalf of my face and the monostat anti chafing on the other half.
The Monostat is a fraction of the Smashbox price.
Thanks for posting this info.....I am now a convert.
You guys rock.....wishing you all pixie dust.

I'm a Floridian with oily skin... so I use a primer. :) I have tried about 20, but right now I am using Avon's MagiX primer, which I love. Others that I used and loved but can't justify the price of are Smashbox Photo Finish, MAC Matte Cream, and Tarte Clean Slate. Ones that broke me out MAC Prep+ Prime, Rimmel, and Sally Hansen. The rest didn't leave a big impression one way or the other.

I just started using it and it does make a difference!

I started with Urban Decay's Potion for my eye lids only. It really keeps the shadow on all day. Amazing. So then a friend told me to get Rimmel's Fix & Perfect for my whole face. It also works great. It's about $7-8 a tube and lasts a month or so.

But the Urban Decay is pretty darn amazing! If they make a whole face one, I'd go that route.

Interesting about Monistat. I may try that!

Please forgive a non-makeup wearing person's question. What is the "primer" supposed to do for you? I'm thinking the same thing as paint primer but maybe not :rotfl:.

Please forgive a non-makeup wearing person's question. What is the "primer" supposed to do for you? I'm thinking the same thing as paint primer but maybe not :rotfl:.

It's exactly like that. It helps the makeup stay on longer. :)

Primer helps even skin texture, smooth the appearance of fine lines, and make makeup wear longer and more true to color.

I'm a Floridian with oily skin... so I use a primer. :) I have tried about 20, but right now I am using Avon's MagiX primer, which I love. Others that I used and loved but can't justify the price of are Smashbox Photo Finish, MAC Matte Cream, and Tarte Clean Slate. Ones that broke me out MAC Prep+ Prime, Rimmel, and Sally Hansen. The rest didn't leave a big impression one way or the other.

Too bad you don;t live near me! I ahve a whole unopened tube and almost another whole tube of the Avon Magix. I've tried it 3 times, and I keep breaking out.

Hated the Rimmel, Revlon Age Defying (or something like that) and Sally Hansen. Ulta has their own version, a Smashbox knockoff. It's OK, but you have the same problem of not being able to get all of it out of the bottle. Plus, it's hard to find. I wonder if they discontinued it? I am going to try the Monistat.

I HATE that they discontinued the Vital Radiance makeup line (think it was made by Revlon). They had the BEST primer. Tons of the VR showe dup at Big Lots, but I never found any primer.

Lisa- Return it to Avon for a refund. I sold Avon for 4 years, and they have a great satisfaction guarantee. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter