Make A Wish Cruise Advice

Amy Ewell

HerMakeAWish
*Update* we had to change her wish to DW as they no longer allow children over 12 to wish for a Disney Cruise. A little sad about that but I'm sure she'll still have an amazing time.* My daughter was recently notified that she has been granted a Wish due to a rare congenital heart defect issue. She has decided to go on a Disney Caribbean Cruise and wants to swim with dolphins. She wants to go on the Fantasy because of the Aqua Duck Coaster. Any advice on whether the Eastern or Western Caribbean might be more enjoyable to her? She is a high school senior and we will also be bringing a 13 and 8 year old boy with us. Other Excursion ideas? TIA! :tink:

Last edited:
I have only been Eastern, but looking at port adventures it seems like the Western has more dolphin encounter opportunities.

We went on a western this past Jan and did a dolphin swim in Cozumel. We did the one at Dolphin Discovery. After the swim you can enjoy the other attractions, beach, pool, sea lion show, restaurants, and more. It was really nice. We picked a late morning time and wish we had gotten there earlier so we would have had more time to enjoy eveything. We have a 8 yr old daughter and she really enjoyed everything. There's 2 restaurants on site. We ate at the one that has seating by the beach, really good food with chicken nuggets and fries for kids like mine who are picky eaters.

Last edited:
We are big fans of the eastern, but go the port adventures page on the Disney website and look up the places they go to swim with dolphins in each stop. Then check out the reviews on trip advisor and see which is best.

Also I know on the eastern they list a dolphin swim on both stops but they are in the same place. One just had a longer ferry ride.

We are big fans of the eastern, but go the port adventures page on the Disney website and look up the places they go to swim with dolphins in each stop. Then check out the reviews on trip advisor and see which is best.

Also I know on the eastern they list a dolphin swim on both stops but they are in the same place. One just had a longer ferry ride.

It would depend on the Eastern itinerary. There is nothing dolphin in San Juan - and pretty sure not in St Maarten either - so if it is that itinerary no bueno for dolphins.

It would depend on the Eastern itinerary. There is nothing dolphin in San Juan - and pretty sure not in St Maarten either - so if it is that itinerary no bueno for dolphins.

I assumed the eastern on the Fantasy meant st Thomas and Tortola.

I have no experience with either itinerary, but I wanted to congratulate your daughter on being chosen for a Wish. I hope she and your entire family have the best time and make memories that will last forever. pixiedust:

After doing both, we think the Western has a more adventurous vibe to it while eastern is a more relaxing beachy cruise. We loved the Tranopy Adventure in Jamaica, (zip lining and bobsleds on Mystic Mountain, we're actually doing this again this summer), and highly recommend parasailing on Castaway Cay.

We did a 7-night Western Caribbean and were surprised at how many opportunities there were to swim with dolphins. We chose to do so in Grand Cayman and it was the most amazing experience.
Congrats on the Wish trip, I hope it is the trip of a lifetime for her!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter