Main Street Electrical Parade Dining Package- worth it?

MyWndrlnd

Earning My Ears
I am debating on whether or not to do the MSEP Dining Package at Aladdin's Oasis that provides reserved viewing area and an "on-the-go" type meal earlier in the day. I can't find any information online about where the reserved area is and whether it is worth it. Has anyone had this dining package? If so, would you recommend it? Where was the reserved viewing area?

Thank you!

Last edited:
It's over by IASW. From what someone else said the area was totally packed with people. I was debating on doing AO myself but none of the meals are all that appealing to me plus if the reserved area is just packed with people then I think we are going to pass.

Just returned Friday from Disneyland and did the Aladdin On-the-Go Dining twice while there. We found the viewing area to be excellent across from It's a Small World and it didn't take us hours of switching off (mommy and daddy) to stake out a place for the family. Both times we arrived to the waiting area around 6:15-6:30pm with a parade start time of 7pm. Both times we got front row viewing on the rails. Everyone below us was seated, so the view was unobstructed for our 6 year old and 1 1/2 year old. Had planned to only attend the parade once, but the experience was so fantastic that my 6 year old begged to go another night. For reference, we watched on a Monday and a Wednesday night so going during the weekend may have a very different viewing experience. If you can opt for a week night parade viewing, I think the reserved viewing area is a solid bet! Hope that helps! :)

It's over by IASW. From what someone else said the area was totally packed with people. I was debating on doing AO myself but none of the meals are all that appealing to me plus if the reserved area is just packed with people then I think we are going to pass.

I was worried about that. I did the Fantasmic Dessert Package when it was available and I've done the WOC Dessert Package and I really enjoyed both of those because it was a calm, uncrowded experience with wonderful service which made it well worth the money. Not to mention the ability to sit in an actual chair after a long day. But if this only provides the opportunity to stand squished together in a tiny area, I'm not really interested. Especially since, like you, I don't really find any of the meals offered that appealing. I tried to book the BB package in December (assuming it had a better reserved seating situation) but it was already all booked out.

I had the same question, and another disboarder recommended that I view this website for more info: http://dlrprepschool.com/special-dining-events-with-reserved-seating-for-shows/

I was also struggling on whether the AO package was worth it (I'm going in late March). Let's face it, the food isn't going to be the draw, it seems decent enough and you get a reserved area. I still can't fully decide but think I'm leaving toward reserving it since I'd rather not stress about scouting out spots hours in advance.

... I tried to book the BB package in December (assuming it had a better reserved seating situation) but it was already all booked out.

We viewed the parade directly across from the BB reserved area. Just to clarify, as far as we could see, there were no chairs in that area. BB guests sit on the curb or on the ground (no seats), or they stand. We had the exact same view, only across the street, without the price tag. While I would love to do the dining package and do plan to do so in the future, I would only recommend it to someone who was already planning on dining at BB anyway.

Last edited:
I've never thought the dining packages are worth it. What should be free, you're now paying up to $20+ more per person. Just find a spot an hour or so before the start and you'll be fine.

I've got the BB dining package reserved for Friday for the MSEP but due to rain may forego it now however forgot I made a backup that Saturday just later.

As two adults we find value in the packages because we enjoy BB anyway and not having to camp spots as long is a win for us. I think it's very dependent what you prefer to do. Besides WOC dinner I can't say I've regretted doing any andctgats only because I didn't know any better. With how popular MSEP is for us , it's worth it.

Yes yes yes!!! We did Aladdin's on the Go on Sunday and it was great. Good food, good view. At 7:55 that night they announced all parade viewing areas were full and invited people to watch the second show which with the rain we experienced during fireworks it may have been cancelled. If we hadn't done the dining package, we would not have seen the parade. It's a great parade!!!!

We are on the fence too. Mostly because I don't love the food that's available and the thought of eating dinner at 4pm (there's only one parade during our visit). How early are you guys getting in line? I read that they let you in 30 minutes before the parade but that people start lining up much earlier. I don't think we need to be on the curb but our 5 yo does need to be able to see without us holding her up the whole time. Are there certain spots that are better than others (besides the curb, obviously)? Any insider info is greatly appreciated! We have reservations for now I just worry that we'll pay the extra money and still end up waiting for an hour and maybe not have a good seat. Is that possible?

ETA: I'm really leaning towards doing it as I didn't mind waiting 2 hours for a curb spot for PTN and fireworks but I feel like MSEP isn't going to be as good as PTN and we are going during the week so no fireworks for us! So, I don't feel like dedicating hours to a short parade.

Ok, one more question...when do you select your food? I have a reservation and I thought it'd ask me to do it then but it didn't. Is it when you show up for your reservation? Thanks!

Ok, one more question...when do you select your food? I have a reservation and I thought it'd ask me to do it then but it didn't. Is it when you show up for your reservation? Thanks!

Yes, you pick your meal and drink when you show up and pay. They ask if you are planning to eat then or take it with you (though all this really controls is whether they give you a bag or not. The meals are in "to go" containers regardless) and give you a little stand with a number. You go sit at a table with your number to wait and they bring you drinks first then the food within maybe 10 minutes or so. We chose to eat there. I was worried about the time too but the 3:30pm "dinner" ended up working well for us. We had a small snack early in the AM, a decent (and really good!) breakfast at Rancho del Zocalo mid-late morning and filled in with the other snacks and treats DL has to offer early afternoon/later in the evening. Ultimately I think we saved on food a bit since we really only ate two meals in the park (and likely would have hit up most of those snacks anyway).

We did this for PTN at the beginning of Jan but the process, from everything I understand, is the same for MSEP. I will be back later this spring with DD5 and definitely plan to do it again.

FWIW, I wasn't wow'd by the choices either but actually found I enjoyed the lasagna more than I expected to.

The DLR Prep link has good info on the AO option. Can someone tell me....do people stand in front of the reserved seating area? In one of her photos, there are folks lined up in front of the rope, and I would think this would block the reserved view? Does anyone know? Thanks!

The DLR Prep link has good info on the AO option. Can someone tell me....do people stand in front of the reserved seating area? In one of her photos, there are folks lined up in front of the rope, and I would think this would block the reserved view? Does anyone know? Thanks!

No. That photo looks like people lined up waiting for the reserved section to open. No one stands in front of the reserved section during the parade or they would get run over by the floats ;)

I've done aladdins oasis twice, once for ptn and once for msep. The real advantages are

1. Aladdins oasis is a nice quiet respite from a busy day at the park. Definitely recommend eating there unless you are not hungry yet.

2. The price is more expensive than a comparable meal but not absurdly so.

3. You save a lot of time not camping out waiting for parade.

4. The view is great for fireworks, if fireworks comes about 20 minutes after show ends. It's not as good as front of castle, but much less crowded.

5. My six year old never had problems seeing the parade or fireworks.

I've done aladdins oasis twice, once for ptn and once for msep. The real advantages are

1. Aladdins oasis is a nice quiet respite from a busy day at the park. Definitely recommend eating there unless you are not hungry yet.

2. The price is more expensive than a comparable meal but not absurdly so.

3. You save a lot of time not camping out waiting for parade.

4. The view is great for fireworks, if fireworks comes about 20 minutes after show ends. It's not as good as front of castle, but much less crowded.

5. My six year old never had problems seeing the parade or fireworks.

For MSEP, what day of the week? How soon did you have to go to the reserved area to get a good view? I am mostly worried that my 3 year old won't be able to see if we aren't in front (and he is not a fan of being on our shoulders) but I don't know how well contained I can keep him waiting for the reserved area to open...

For msep, We were there on a Sunday. We got there about an hour before it began, but we could have probably gotten there 45 minutes early and still gotten a good location. Note that at least when we were there, the area reserved was quite large. I assume they change that based off the number of people eating at aladdins.
That day the park was at a crowd level of 10.

the area we were in had two levels reserved for us, the third level behind us was for other people. We stayed in the second level, it was less crowded than first level,and since we were higher than first level, it allowed my son to see everything nicely, just by standing. There were people next to me with strollers, and their kids were able to stay in stroller and watch, although they jumped out to watch too.

If only the first lower area is open, then you may need to get there earlier to get in the front, since otherwise it would be hard for your child to see.

I do not know how the areas are changed if there are less reservations for aladdins oasis, the area was s configured the same as when we went to ptn version, however others have said when they went it was small crowded area.

Just returned Friday from Disneyland and did the Aladdin On-the-Go Dining twice while there. We found the viewing area to be excellent across from It's a Small World and it didn't take us hours of switching off (mommy and daddy) to stake out a place for the family. Both times we arrived to the waiting area around 6:15-6:30pm with a parade start time of 7pm. Both times we got front row viewing on the rails. Everyone below us was seated, so the view was unobstructed for our 6 year old and 1 1/2 year old. Had planned to only attend the parade once, but the experience was so fantastic that my 6 year old begged to go another night. For reference, we watched on a Monday and a Wednesday night so going during the weekend may have a very different viewing experience. If you can opt for a week night parade viewing, I think the reserved viewing area is a solid bet! Hope that helps! :)

I'm so glad it worked out for your family! We will be viewing it on a weekday so perhaps we should try it. :-)

I've never thought the dining packages are worth it. What should be free, you're now paying up to $20+ more per person. Just find a spot an hour or so before the start and you'll be fine.

I like the reserved seating options when there is indeed a seat and an unobstructed view. But I agree with you, for this it might just be better to stake out a spot.
I've got the BB dining package reserved for Friday for the MSEP but due to rain may forego it now however forgot I made a backup that Saturday just later.

As two adults we find value in the packages because we enjoy BB anyway and not having to camp spots as long is a win for us. I think it's very dependent what you prefer to do. Besides WOC dinner I can't say I've regretted doing any andctgats only because I didn't know any better. With how popular MSEP is for us , it's worth it.

If we could have secured the BB package I wouldn't hesitate for a second, especially since we already have BB reservations for dinner on another night. Unfortunately, the BB packages are all booked out. :-(

Yes yes yes!!! We did Aladdin's on the Go on Sunday and it was great. Good food, good view. At 7:55 that night they announced all parade viewing areas were full and invited people to watch the second show which with the rain we experienced during fireworks it may have been cancelled. If we hadn't done the dining package, we would not have seen the parade. It's a great parade!!!!

Wow, I am so glad you guys had the reservations and were able to see it! :-)

We are on the fence too. Mostly because I don't love the food that's available and the thought of eating dinner at 4pm (there's only one parade during our visit). How early are you guys getting in line? I read that they let you in 30 minutes before the parade but that people start lining up much earlier. I don't think we need to be on the curb but our 5 yo does need to be able to see without us holding her up the whole time. Are there certain spots that are better than others (besides the curb, obviously)? Any insider info is greatly appreciated! We have reservations for now I just worry that we'll pay the extra money and still end up waiting for an hour and maybe not have a good seat. Is that possible?

ETA: I'm really leaning towards doing it as I didn't mind waiting 2 hours for a curb spot for PTN and fireworks but I feel like MSEP isn't going to be as good as PTN and we are going during the week so no fireworks for us! So, I don't feel like dedicating hours to a short parade.

Having a little one would definitely influence my choice since it can be hard for them to see. Hopefully some of the posters here will be able to provide more info!

Yes, you pick your meal and drink when you show up and pay. They ask if you are planning to eat then or take it with you (though all this really controls is whether they give you a bag or not. The meals are in "to go" containers regardless) and give you a little stand with a number. You go sit at a table with your number to wait and they bring you drinks first then the food within maybe 10 minutes or so. We chose to eat there. I was worried about the time too but the 3:30pm "dinner" ended up working well for us. We had a small snack early in the AM, a decent (and really good!) breakfast at Rancho del Zocalo mid-late morning and filled in with the other snacks and treats DL has to offer early afternoon/later in the evening. Ultimately I think we saved on food a bit since we really only ate two meals in the park (and likely would have hit up most of those snacks anyway).

We did this for PTN at the beginning of Jan but the process, from everything I understand, is the same for MSEP. I will be back later this spring with DD5 and definitely plan to do it again.

FWIW, I wasn't wow'd by the choices either but actually found I enjoyed the lasagna more than I expected to.

Thank you for this helpful info!

Trying to make reservations online for March and none are available.... anyone know anything about this?

Trying to make reservations online for March and none are available.... anyone know anything about this?
Is the entertainment schedule out yet for the date(s) you're trying to book? Even though regular ADR's open at 60 days, the packages that are tied to shows or parades don't usually show up until the entertainment calendar is posted. That can be 30 days (or even less) out....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter