Main Street Bakery Cinnamon Roll??? School Bread?

weesignlanguage

DIS Veteran
Is there anywhere in MK or other park that has the same or very simliar gigantic cinnamon rolls they had at MK Bakery that is currently being remodeled??? I can't go and NOT have one!! Ha!!

Also...what does school bread from Norway look like and taste like??

Someone said they have them at Gaston's Tavern. Never tried school bread, but so looking forward to it - I actually had a dream (nightmare?) last night that I went to get some and they were all out! :rotfl2: The Disney dreams/nightmares have already begun, and we still have 5 months to go! MSB SHOULD be open again when we go though - hopefully the cinnamon roll does not change!

Does schoolbread normally have black flecks all through the bread? It doesn't look like it in the pic on the food blog, but when I had one it had tons of black flecks and tasted very strongly of some kind of spice. Just wondering if maybe we got a strong batch.

I was so excited to try my first school bread. The lovely CM that waited on me asked if I wanted it to go, and proceeded to shove the bread into a teeny-tiny container, cramming on the lid! LOL! By the time I got it back to the resort, it was a squished up mess - but still quite tasty! Still want to go back and get another one, but I will eat it in Norway!

Gaston's tavern certainly does sell the Cinnamon roll. It is the same as the one from the Bakery. We had one during the previews in October. Very good!

School bread tastes like one of the BEST creamy/pudding/custard type filled doughnuts you've ever had. I've eaten it 5-6 times now. I don't remember any black 'flecks' of any sort in it. I know that a few of ours have tasted more of a 'vanilla flavor' than others have, so could those flecks be crushed/chopped vanilla bean? This, by far is a favorite of my family! Also, those black 'flecks' that you may have thought you saw could possibly be the camera's version of the tiny little air pockets inside of the doughnut/bread and not black flecks at all.

I know that a lot of people have different feelings about what 'yummy treats' are- some prefer certain tastes, textures, some prefer light/heavy...BUT, with the schoolbread, SO MANY people LOVE it and that's why it's on the 'must try' list at Disney!

Does schoolbread normally have black flecks all through the bread? It doesn't look like it in the pic on the food blog, but when I had one it had tons of black flecks and tasted very strongly of some kind of spice. Just wondering if maybe we got a strong batch.

Those black flecks are a spice called cardamom. It is used sometimes in Scandinavian baking/cooking.

when I had one it had tons of black flecks and tasted very strongly of some kind of spice. Just wondering if maybe we got a strong batch.
Mine tasted stronger than I pictured too. I kind of wondered if the school bread thing was just a different version of "yeah drink the Beverly it's great ;) " I am somewhat adventurous when it comes to eating and I give school bread a rating of :crazy2: DH was happy to inhale it though so it was all good :thumbsup2

i thought the black flecks were nutmeg. It's one of those types of spices.
I'm not usually crazy about those, but it works in the schoolbread.
I wouldn't recommend saving it for later.
it's got refrigerated pudding in the middle...not sure it would keep well.

The one from Gaston's is just as big as Main Street but has a different taste as stated, more of a maple flavor in the icing, but still very good.

This isn't something we dealt with on our school bread, not in '10 or '11. No overwhelming flavor (though the food blog's recipe does include cardamom), no black flecks of anything. Just deliciousness. My picture:

IMG_4742.jpg

School bread is amazing. . . it's one of those "I wen't 20 plus years without it....discovered it....love it....have to have it!" :jumping1:

I was going to guess the spice was cardamom which doesn't bother me, it just was very strong. But from the replies, maybe I should try it again

I had my first infamous cinnamon roll last September. I bought it the night before to have for breakfast the next day & I wasn't impressed :( I think I should've just eaten it that day. I'll try another one on my next trip.

On another note, I have put off trying school bread & will DEFINITELY be getting one next January :)

Wow!! Thanks for all the awesome info on these two treats!!! I plan on trying both the week we are visiting!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!