Magnets for Concierge Doors

klass3

Mouseketeer
I read on a post that stronger magnets are needed for Concierge Doors as they have a wood/plastic layer. I just want to do minimal - Mickey Ears over room # and individual ears with names. It was mentioned that Guest Services will provide magnets if asked. Does anyone know? I need to secure strong magnets. TIA for any info.:wave2:

I didnt see any magnets on the Concierge doors. We used Post it Notes sheets and printed onto them.....

We were on concierge in February 2012. We had one Pirate Sword made out of wood with our family name and Dream 2012 printed on it. We then had a Mickey/Minni mouse head for each family member with their name on them. They were made out of wood and we had to apply heavy duty magnets. We received personalized magnets as part of our FE exchange. None of the magnets were were given would stick to the door. We placed them inside on the bathroom door. Hope this helps.

Billinaz said:
I didnt see any magnets on the Concierge doors. We used Post it Notes sheets and printed onto them.....

Nothing sticky is allowed on the doors!! Just an FYI for all those that looking for alternatives.....

I think a nice alternative would be to get something to hang from the "SeaHorses" to the right of the door and place the Designs on it instead of magnets. You could even use hot glue to place magnets you already have on the hanging item made of cloth. When you get home you just peel the magnets off the cloth and then the dried hot glue off the magnet.

Nothing sticky is allowed on the doors!! Just an FYI for all those that looking for alternatives.....

Nothing with residue. The Concierge teams all loved our post it notes. Tapes and glues will mar the doors, post it notes wont.
The entire back of the sheet isnt all sticky, just a couple of strips across the page. Think of the post it notes we all use, its the same design just on a larger sheet of paper.

post it.jpg

door.jpg

Nothing with residue. The Concierge teams all loved our post it notes. Tapes and glues will mar the doors, post it notes wont.
The entire back of the sheet isnt all sticky, just a couple of strips across the page. Think of the post it notes we all use, its the same design just on a larger sheet of paper.

post it.jpg

door.jpg

Your stateroom hosts/concierge team aren't really going to say anything. They don't want to make your trip seem "unmagical". But DCL, when they made the request as to stateroom door decorations said:

we ask that guests no longer affix anything to their stateroom door utilizing any adhesive or tape.

:cutie:

Your stateroom hosts/concierge team aren't really going to say anything. They don't want to make your trip seem "unmagical". But DCL, when they made the request as to stateroom door decorations said:

we ask that guests no longer affix anything to their stateroom door utilizing any adhesive or tape.

By not saying anything and encouraging it, they are allowing it. When they saw it was actually post it notes, they thought it was perfect.

The problem came because people used duct tape and other tapes that were heavy with residue. As you can see post it notes remove CLEANLY.

So by allowing and encouraging it, they are granting permission.

If you dont want to do it, then dont. If you want to decorate your door, then do so but use something like post it notes instead of tape. Worked great for us on the last 3 cruises on the Dream/Fantasy.

Love the post-it note idea. Last cruise on the Wonder nothing stuck to our door with the magnets we normally use. This would have been a great alternative.

Our neighbor in 12524 had a just married sign taped to their door with clear packing tape. It was up all cruise. This was on the 9/14/12 Fantasy. I like the idea of the magnetic FE.

Our neighbor in 12524 had a just married sign taped to their door with clear packing tape. It was up all cruise. This was on the 9/14/12 Fantasy. I like the idea of the magnetic FE.

And if there was damage to the door when taking down the tape, they would have been charged for it. That's why DCL asks that door decorations be magnetic.

Love the post-it note idea. Last cruise on the Wonder nothing stuck to our door with the magnets we normally use. This would have been a great alternative.

I think the paint on the Wonder doors is quite thick, some of our magnets had problems staying on, also. I found that the ones that were larger (with a lot of magnetic surface area) stayed on better. The littler ones (like our Mickey heads) tended to not stick as well.

PrincessShmoo said:
And if there was damage to the door when taking down the tape, they would have been charged for it. That's why DCL asks that door decorations be magnetic.

Interesting. Didn't really seem to bother anyone from Disney, including our three concierge. How would the average cruiser know all these rules if they weren't privy to your knowledge?

Interesting. Didn't really seem to bother anyone from Disney, including our three concierge. How would the average cruiser know all these rules if they weren't privy to your knowledge?

I would say that most people who decorate thier doors probably heard about it here. And doing a little research here (as well as the FAQ sticky: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2434632) would point them in that direction.

I'm not saying that it isn't done, and that (in most cases) your stateroom host or concierge will not say anything about it. I think they should make mention of it, if they see someone decorating with tape/sticky stuff. But, I'm not running the show, I just try to play by the rules that I know.

Thing is, I have seen magnets ruin doors as well. We got a bunch as FE gifts on one of our cruises and one night some (presumably) kids came and messed up the door, moved the magnets all around, and scratched up the door in the process. We tried rubbing out the marks, but no luck. They were the big, heavy duty magnets that were glued onto wooden objects and I guess dragged around the door. We didn't get a charge for damage though.

Thing is, I have seen magnets ruin doors as well. We got a bunch as FE gifts on one of our cruises and one night some (presumably) kids came and messed up the door, moved the magnets all around, and scratched up the door in the process. We tried rubbing out the marks, but no luck. They were the big, heavy duty magnets that were glued onto wooden objects and I guess dragged around the door. We didn't get a charge for damage though.

My guess would be that DCL couldn't really charge you for anything, since the decorations were magnetic and that's what they ask for. Any damages done from items not OK'd by DCL you'd probably get charged for.

My guess would be that DCL couldn't really charge you for anything, since the decorations were magnetic and that's what they ask for. Any damages done from items not OK'd by DCL you'd probably get charged for.

I don't know, that doesn't make much sense though. For all they know I intentionally scraped my magnets around and in that case, shouldn't I be charged?

But if I used tape, like someone else said, how would anyone know not to? I have a friend sailing on her first ever cruise Saturday. It's the Disney Fantasy. She knows NOTHING about cruising, DCL, or these boards. She will not have magnets. She is already planning another cruise after this one. Once she sees the door decorations, she might want to make some for her next cruise. She wouldn't know not to do tape, and if they aren't telling people, how can anyone be responsible?

I would say that most people who decorate thier doors probably heard about it here. And doing a little research here (as well as the FAQ sticky: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2434632) would point them in that direction.

I'm not saying that it isn't done, and that (in most cases) your stateroom host or concierge will not say anything about it. I think they should make mention of it, if they see someone decorating with tape/sticky stuff. But, I'm not running the show, I just try to play by the rules that I know.

As already mentioned above by PrincessShmoo......the door decorating adhesive situation became such a problem that the webmasters were prompted to post the warnings here in the Sticky Thread (back a few years). So, it is a big problem. If DCL asks that people don't use adhesives they shouldn't. That siad the new ships were not out at that time with the different type concierge doors but I can't imagine their policy would differ.

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter