• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magic on Demand????

InstImpres

DIS Veteran
I just read about this itn a Disney tour book (yes, I still feel compelled to buy some that look new and exciting). It claims you can call for a bus at a non-peak time and they will send it right over.

I've never heard of this and we were just there. We gave up on the bus from OKW after 25 minutes and grabbed the car to MGM.

Hoping Tyler or someone knows, this sounds bizarre to me but who knows maybe it's true and it works too!;)

Thanks
Sandy

The original Magic On Demand idea was to have machines similar to Fast Pass machines at bus stops and you would insert or swipe your room key to request a bus. Computers would coordinate the scheduling and at bus parking lots a computer screen would flash the departure time and route for bus drivers.

The system has not evolved that far but instead "demands" are made only during heavy travel periods by a cast member monitoring the bus stop and/or by bus drivers whose buses fill up and who have to leave people behind.

During off peak hours buses serve bus stops at the usual 20 to 30 minute intervals although on occasion an additional bus will be dispatched here and there according to demand.

Magic On Demand could also save bus trips by allowing stops to remain unserved for hours if nobody registered a demand. One controversy centers around whether, if the computerized system were implemented and operating, swiping your room key should bring a bus "immediately" or "within 30 minutes".

Certain resorts (Port Orleans's, All Star's) may get more frequent service at certain times when for example shared buses running every 12 to 15 minutes is more efficient than separate buses running every 20 minutes.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

Imagine a traffic light where the traffic going the other way gets 60 seconds. (Neither of the following oversimplified situations are best but they do exist) Sometimes if you arrive and the other side has already been green for 60 or more seconds you get a green light immediately, at other intersections the 60 second delay does not start until you (or someone else going your way) get there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter