Magic Kingdom photoshoot on the day of the wedding

Discussion in 'Disney Weddings and Honeymoons' started by Jackie-ella093015, May 2, 2017.

1. Jackie-ella093015

Jackie-ella093015 Earning My Ears

Hi all! New to posting on this board...I have just been reading through for the past few weeks and listening to the Disney Wedding Podcasts. My fiance and I are somewhere in between the "Can we afford it?" step and the "We're doing it...and we're just waiting for our first call" step.

Something I haven't quite found information on (which impacts the can we afford it piece) is: How hectic would it be to do the MK shoot on the day of the wedding? We like the idea of only doing hair/makeup once and adding a little more magic to the day, but we haven't seen many trip reports or planning journals that outline this type of timeline.

We are thinking of noon wedding, would want a first look prior to, and in general would like to take photos getting ready and with family prior to the ceremony.

All we have seen in regards to this topic is that the dress will get wet and dirty.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance! I look forward to connecting with you all :)

lurkyloo likes this.
  2. lurkyloo

lurkyloo The Attic was just perfect!

People do it and survive it, but I don't recommend it. Our MK shoot was two whole days after the wedding and I was still so exhausted by it that I fell asleep on the Peoplemover later that day!

Beyond the dress getting dirty, there is the fact that your first look is going to be hastily shot in the lobby of your resort by a single Disney photographer who's trying to get you in and out of the MK in less than an hour—rather than, say, the two outside photographers who will be shooting your wedding. At the very least, you only get one person's reaction to the first look. At worst, you are assigned a DFAP photographer whose style you don't click with and s/he is in charge of one of the most photogenic elements of your wedding day.

But another thing to consider is that, for most of the brides and grooms I interview, the wedding day flies by, often with enough nerves before the ceremony that it's all pretty much a blur until the reception. The MK shoot is a magical, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for most of us, and I'd hate to spend the whole thing thinking about what was happening afterward.

That's not to say it can't be done. A noon ceremony should give you enough time that you won't feel rushed between the shoot and the wedding. And maybe you can hold your gown up the whole time so it won't get dirty. Just some things to consider...

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. Jackie-ella093015

Jackie-ella093015 Earning My Ears

Thanks @lurkyloo! These are two points we didn't consider at all, specifically the point of being too nervous to enjoy the MK photo-shoot! We also want to make sure that we are able to get what we are paying for, in terms of a beautifully shot (and magical moment) with a first look! Thank you so much for this feedback!

lurkyloo likes this.
  5. StephMarye

StephMarye Earning My Ears

How long after your DFTW can you do the in-park shoot? It just seems like so much to do in a few days.. I wonder, is it unusual to come back months later with your wedding attire to do this? :D

Jackie-ella093015 likes this.
  6. lurkyloo

Many, many couples come back and do it later. There is no time limit on when you can do it because anyone can book a park shoot—you don't have to have a DFTW. The only limit would be the 12-month priority booking window they give to DFTW couples—you would have up to one year from the date of your wedding to book with priority. After that you can only book 4 months out like everybody else.

Jackie-ella093015 likes this.
  7. StephMarye

StephMarye Earning My Ears

That's great news! If I do it in the 12 month window as a DFTW bride, is that included in the cost of my wedding? or is it paid separately whenever I choose to do it? Thank you for your help!

8. lurkyloo

All DFAP photo shoots require pre-payment now, so you will pay for it the day you book it, unless you add it to your BEO. In that case, you would pay along the schedule set up for making wedding payments (90 days = minimum expenditure, 30 days = everything else). So you could book now and then not have to pay til your 30-day wedding payment is due.

9. TheRustyScupper

TheRustyScupper Seeing isn't Believing, Believing is Seeing.

1) From personal experience, I can tell you the marrying couple is stressed enough.
    2) Adding all the activities for "The Shoot" n the wedding day just adds more stress.
    3) It is far better to do "The Shoot" on a different day.