Magic Kingdom dessert party - info please

AdamsMum

DIS Veteran
I'm a little confused about the dessert party at Magic Kingdom. I've seen one review of the pre fireworks party where people stand to watch the actual fireworks. A few questions.
1. I'm not sure where the standing area is though, I thought it was from the rose garden area, but the review mentioned the castle hub. Where is this area?
2. If we do the seated dessert party inside the Tomorrowland Terrace. When do we get to check in and how much time do we have to actually enjoy the food and beverage offerings? The fireworks is only about 20 minutes long I believe. The real value for us is not having to stand for an hour before the fireworks then have some guy with a toddler on his shoulders come and stand in front of us 5 minutes before the start (it's a thing, really) :crazy2: , but it would be nice to be able to enjoy the desserts and drinks too.
3. Is the view of the high fireworks obstructed by the roof over the terrace? And is it better to do the pre party for better viewing?

We are 4 adults (my adult kids) and this will probably be a one and done for us if we can get a reservation. I think I'd rather sit for show but if we're seated towards the back of the terrace how good will the view be. Any veterans of the Magic Kingdom dessert party out there?

I can only help you with the pre-post FW parties and the viewing location question. It's definitely the rose garden area, just a short walk from the terrace/party area. We've never done the sit-down version. We got there at least an hour before the fireworks were scheduled - enjoyed the food for 30-40 minutes, and then headed out to grab a spot in the viewing area. The post dessert party people were already well settled by that time, and the viewing area felt much more crowded than previous years - but it still was a nice place to see the fireworks and the projections. But yes - there's always that threat of someone popping in front of you at the last minute either with a child on their shoulders, or the person doing a full-length recording on their phone that requires them to hold the camera right in your line of sight. But it was a much easier departure after the fireworks than when we're huddled among 10,000 or our closest viewing friends on Main Street! Good luck with your decision, and have fun!

We've done the seated dessert party, and it was wonderful! Worth every penny to us. We got there as early as they would let us in, and had plenty of time to enjoy all the amazing desserts and have some coffee. We were lucky enough to be seated right at the edge of the terrace, so viewing couldn't have been better for the fireworks themselves. Magical!! When it was over, we hung out and let the crowds disperse, then wandered slowly out as we enjoyed a quickly-emptying Tomorrowland. Was perfect. ❤️

We've done the seated dessert party, and it was wonderful! Worth every penny to us. We got there as early as they would let us in, and had plenty of time to enjoy all the amazing desserts and have some coffee. We were lucky enough to be seated right at the edge of the terrace, so viewing couldn't have been better for the fireworks themselves. Magical!! When it was over, we hung out and let the crowds disperse, then wandered slowly out as we enjoyed a quickly-emptying Tomorrowland. Was perfect. ❤️
How early did you get there to there when they let you in?

Do you have to line up for that an hour or so before to get a good seat?

We’ve only done the after party before, and got stuck standing in the rain waiting for a delayed show to start.

So, I thought the seated version would be the way to go next time.

Planning to try for it in September!

1. I'm not sure where the standing area is though, I thought it was from the rose garden area, but the review mentioned the castle hub. Where is this area?
The Plaza Garden in the hub. I circled it in yellow below. Note that it looks a lot further back on the map than it actually is irl.

Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 7.33.57 PM.png

2. If we do the seated dessert party inside the Tomorrowland Terrace. When do we get to check in and how much time do we have to actually enjoy the food and beverage offerings? The fireworks is only about 20 minutes long I believe. The real value for us is not having to stand for an hour before the fireworks then have some guy with a toddler on his shoulders come and stand in front of us 5 minutes before the start (it's a thing, really) :crazy2: , but it would be nice to be able to enjoy the desserts and drinks too.
Check in for all iterations of the dessert party is determined by showtime for HEA. It's 60 minutes prior to the start for Seats and Sweets. In reality they do tend to let you in a little earlier but iirc with S&S you get your food/drink and then you sit at the table they assign you.

3. Is the view of the high fireworks obstructed by the roof over the terrace? And is it better to do the pre party for better viewing?
The view of the entire show is objectively worse at the terrace. Your view of the castle is off center and blocked by the trees so you miss half the projections, and you're obstructed unless your table is right at the railing...which you don't have control over because they assign seats randomly based on your party size.

If you want to enjoy the desserts and drinks with the best view of the show, I strongly recommend doing the Post-Party in the garden instead. Seats and Sweets makes absolutely no sense to me and never has, you are paying more money for a worse view just to sit down during a 20 minute show. In the garden everyone sits on the grass until the show starts anyway. I've only ever done the pre-party but we have the post booked this trip just so we can chill out and eat while the crazy fireworks crowds disperse outside and maybe hit a couple of rides afterwards.

I went last month. I went to the pre-party, got in line about 30 minutes before check in time but they already had food out and seated me right away. I had a glass of wine, one round of desserts, and then headed right out to the viewing area that @kylenne circled on the map. (the other hub grass area is for VIP tours / Make a Wish Groups)

Since fireworks was my priority (1st time seeing Happily Ever After since it's return) and I don't eat a lot of sweets these days, I moved out to the viewing area pretty quickly rather than lingering over food (I spent only 25-30 minutes snacking). There were maybe half a dozen folks already there (most for post parties).

I would have preferred the post party but it wasn't available. AND since I was solo I didn't worry about rushing anyone else.

We have a child in a wheelchair in our party. Does anyone know how they handle that in the standing area? I made them aware of that but not finding anything about they handle placement in that area.

We have a child in a wheelchair in our party. Does anyone know how they handle that in the standing area? I made them aware of that but not finding anything about they handle placement in that area.
There is a section for wheelchairs that is directly in front of the dessert viewing area, but it’s open for everyone. Inside the viewing there is no assigned area for wheelchairs.

There is a section for wheelchairs that is directly in front of the dessert viewing area, but it’s open for everyone. Inside the viewing there is no assigned area for wheelchairs.
Well that is a bit disappointing to hear. Some kids like it was mentioned,can annoyingly go on shoulders. the one in our party cannot. Thanks so much for the info!

Well that is a bit disappointing to hear. Some kids like it was mentioned,can annoyingly go on shoulders. the one in our party cannot. Thanks so much for the info!
I'm afraid people who put their kids on their shoulders block everyone's view. You can get there early though and pick a spot right in front behind the fencing. Those outside the area are far enough away that even with kids on their shoulders, your view is not really blocked. Those directly in front of you are in the accessible area that is not included in the dessert seating.

I did the dessert party with the garden viewing in 2019 for the Halloween party. I use an ECV and they put me up on the fence line of the standing area so people were standing behind me. If it is still that way, I suggest getting the viewing area somewhat early so you can make sure you have a spot on the fence. I "think" in front of me was a walk way and the CM's did not let people stop to watch the show but you may have people in front of the child walking. It's just hard to see the castle projections from there when you're seated I think.

I think CMs will try to get the child along the front but if you arrive later you may only be able to keep one adult there and put the rest in any open space at the back (which is still a great spot to watch from if you can stand!).

Ask this question in the disAbilities thread as you'd get some better answers than mine no doubt!

I did the dessert party in April. They put the wheelchairs in the very front of the viewing area along the fence. About 5-10 minutes before the show starts, they have the rest of the people stand and that's when others can move forward to the open fence line and behind the wheelchairs.

They also told us kids weren't allowed to be on shoulders. And everyone complied! There were still some people with their phones up recording everything, but not as annoying as the shoulder children - and we distanced ourselves back a bit from the big group in the front so they didn't affect our view.

We thought the viewing and the dessert party were awesome, and I have it booked again for my trip in a few weeks!

slightly off topic - but genuine question. what do people with kids do that are in the general area on main street? We were there with my 8yo. clearly too big to put on shoulders but also too short to be able to see anything with people all around her. I held her on my hip so that her head was roughly in line with my head and she could see projections, but I didn't really get to enjoy the show as that's a very uncomfortable position for me. from what I could see, there was no way to get a spot, even early enough, where you can be sure that no one stands in front of you unless you are willing to pick a fight. any other suggestions (other than doing on of the parties)?

slightly off topic - but genuine question. what do people with kids do that are in the general area on main street? We were there with my 8yo. clearly too big to put on shoulders but also too short to be able to see anything with people all around her. I held her on my hip so that her head was roughly in line with my head and she could see projections, but I didn't really get to enjoy the show as that's a very uncomfortable position for me. from what I could see, there was no way to get a spot, even early enough, where you can be sure that no one stands in front of you unless you are willing to pick a fight. any other suggestions (other than doing on of the parties)?
Book a fireworks dessert party. At least that’s what we did.

If you arrive early enough to get a spot just behind a railing, then you can probably be assured that no one will be standing directly in front of you since that space is blocked off.

I did the dessert party in April. They put the wheelchairs in the very front of the viewing area along the fence. About 5-10 minutes before the show starts, they have the rest of the people stand and that's when others can move forward to the open fence line and behind the wheelchairs.

They also told us kids weren't allowed to be on shoulders. And everyone complied! There were still some people with their phones up recording everything, but not as annoying as the shoulder children - and we distanced ourselves back a bit from the big group in the front so they didn't affect our view.

We thought the viewing and the dessert party were awesome, and I have it booked again for my trip in a few weeks!
Was it spread out enough the kids could see in between adults? We’ve never done fireworks and wondering if this would work for us.

I've had the same issue with the closing show at Epcot in the past. Every spot along the railing gets taken, so shorter kids can't see. But if your kid is too big to sit on your shoulder, you're SOL.

maybe the "Seats & Sweets" option would be better for you?

Do you need to see the castle projections or are you cool with just some fireworks? I like to watch from the back of the castle in Fantasyland. People are more chill, there are much fewer people & you still get the music. It’s a surrounding fireworks view since they go off in front of you and behind you.

Do you need to see the castle projections or are you cool with just some fireworks? I like to watch from the back of the castle in Fantasyland. People are more chill, there are much fewer people & you still get the music. It’s a surrounding fireworks view since they go off in front of you and behind you.
honestly, the main purpose in watching the fireworks show IS the projections. We live in NYC and have great fireworks for July 4 and NYE, so just watching fireworks from the back is not that special. But projections is what makes it special. I guess I wish they had a kids area (or a couple areas) roped without dropping $500 for the family. none of us care about the food and that's steep price to pay for 20 min of the show, but yes, it is what it is.
I do like on Disney Cruise Line for the big deck parties, they have a roped off area for kids in front of the stage so they can watch the stage show and dance without adults. Since adults are all around, it's still easy to see your kid and they can enjoy the party and see everything. but oh well...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter