Magic Band Selection

NEMouse

Earning My Ears
I know it’s not required but we want to use magic bands for our upcoming trip. We have some solid color ones that are 3+ years old so I have been looking to buy new ones through our reservation on MDE.

The selection on MDE is not an expansive list or in some cases even relevant to current trip, like references to 2020. My question is- is there a better selection available on site? I have looked at MDE and Disney online shop. I don’t mind having to pay full price, I just want to buy a band once and with a better selection if possible. I am looking for bands with Marvel or Star Wars (Mandalorian) characters.

Our arrival day will be spent at the water park and Disney Springs so I can wait if the choices are better on site. Thank you!

I have found that the best prices are when you purchase directly from Disney. In my experiences, magic bands are way overpriced on sites like Amazon and eBay. If you haven't found anything you like on the Shop Disney website, you will have better luck checking out the options once you are on property.

I was surprised by the lack of options at shopDisney. Only one Mandalorian option?

Wait until you're on site. So many to choose from.

I find the selection through MDE changes constantly as stock updates. I’m a sucker for different MB designs & actually bought 3 each for my son & I, for our upcoming trip. Each time I went in to order some of the selections had changed. And I definitely saw both Mandalorian & Marvel options available at times. If I were you, I’d keep checking back to see what other options come up.

The only downside to me in buying onsite is the time it will take. We're staying at the Dolphin so I doubt there will be any to buy there. We plan on going to Epcot after checkin and getting settled and would hate to waste time (with 11 of us) picking out magic bands and then linking them.

Can one "upgrade" or trade in the magic band we buy on the Disney Store site once we are there?

Myself, I'll be fine with a plain color one and I think most of us in our party will be too.

However - the kids will be a different story.

Another option I guess is buying a plain one and then get a ""skin" for it from etsy or other places.

We're staying at the Dolphin so I doubt there will be any to buy there
There’s a Disney store in the lobby of the Swan. We didn’t look inside, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they sold MBs there. You could probably ask on the Swan & Dolphin thread to find out. Also, the Screen Door store on the Boardwalk sells them, and the gift shops at Yacht & Beach likely have them too.

You can have multiple bands per person. All bands associated with a person are interchangeable. You could go ahead and get the $5 plain colored bands for everyone and then once you get there, get another band for the kids if they find something they like. We did that for our December trip when my daughter didn't like any of the ones available on the site. It took her 2 days to find the band she wanted, once we were there, but she had one to use, so she felt she could take her time looking and wasn't rushed to make a decision.

Steve

The gift shop attached to space mountain has a massive selection. You use a kiosk to make it and pick it up in 20 minutes. My daughter made a customized purple Mandalorian one with her name inscribed on the band. There were a few Marvel ones too.

Pretty interesting info - thanks much.

But sadly there is no $5 band option for us (staying at the Dolphin) so buying a $15 band and then another when we are there adds to the expense.

(And I say that laughing to myself - because if $15 was some deal breaker, why are we going to Disney of all places? Not exactly a value-driven trip now, is it? :) )

It USED to be that you could buy a replacement "puck" and put it in any band you wanted (or in a holder that you could clip to your belt with a retractable "chain". . I don't see that as an option anymore.

Along that thought - it would appear a magic band has a limited life unless you can replace the puck, right?

The only downside to me in buying onsite is the time it will take. We're staying at the Dolphin so I doubt there will be any to buy there.
When I stayed at the Swan in February of 2020 they had a large selection of magicbands in the hotel gift shop. I assume the Dolphin does as well.

Thanks for the info on the Swan gift shop; I may call the Dolphin to see if they have that too (it's likely)

One important question though - are these bands reusable for a future trip say two years later? That is, assuming the battery doesn't last that long - the only thing that needs to be replaced is the "puck". I know you need a special tool to remove / replace and that alone may make it impractical - but do they even sell the puck alone anymore?

It shouldn't surprise me, but it seems the bands are "temporary". Sure, I could buy a new band and take out the puck and use it to replace the one in the band I prefer to keep - but even that is less than ideal since the color probably won't match.

It certainly seems like Disney is "encouraging" people to get a new band every (say) two years. I could get one with a style I really like (say a Star Wars one) and find I can't use it two years later even if I was willing to replace the puck.

I don't mind "planned obsolescence" and I don't mind buying a new one every trip ( we don't go more often than once every two years) but with the selection on the website almost absurdly limited, it seems less than ideal.

Relatively minor point I realize.

For everything that matters, a Magic Band will last virtually forever, unless damaged in some way. While there is a battery in the bands, that battery is used only for the long range functionality - getting ride photos where there is no tap point and special experiences like having your name show up at the end of Small World. For everything where you tap your band to some device, no battery is required.

The long range battery lasts 2-3 years.

I'm unaware that they ever sold just the puck by itself.

Steve

Why even get one if staying a Swan or Dolphin?

There are no FastPasses to use them for, no opening door at the resort and no charging (Disney really should link a MB to your credit card of choice and not just to a room reservation).

We took our bands.... but the MobilePass worked great on our phones (don't even have to unlock them), so didn't wear them but one day.

Plenty of other things to spend $15 a pop on... ;)

MobilePass available on Android yet? But even still, how does that work for those who don't have a phone (we have 4 kids with us). And what about pictures?

(totally off subject, but I see some downside to MobilePass given it seems to imply every one needs a phone OR be with someone else with a phone that somehow "verifies" they have a ticket. Impractical for groups with kids - especially if someone in the party isn't tech savvy (like my wife) and doesn't have MDE or whatever set up with everyone in the party and wants to go to the park with a grandkid or two while their mom and dad are off somewhere else. Magic bands would work great in that case.)

I agree the "value" or utility is limited without FP and using as a room key but there is some value still. Last trip the kids loved putting it up to the Mickey circle and seeing it turn green.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter