Macarena - Kona Cafe Server, Cast Member Love

ParklandDISDad

Mouseketeer
Werner mentioned the great service that he received from Macarena at the Kona Cafe this week in the live show yesterday and “the biggest tip” he’d ever left.

Was interesting to me because we had the chance to have Macarena as our server twice during our stay at the PV last October. Went for breakfast and Tonga toast on check in day on the way to the park and she really was amazing.. so much so that we asked for her again when we went back for lunch the following day. So glad to hear she’s still there and hoping we have the opportunity to have her as our server again during our upcoming Poly trip next month.

I agree with Werner.. there is no shortage of things to pick at with all of the recent changes going on, but these interactions and the magic the cast members and imagineers continue to create reminds me of why I continue to return.

Has anyone else recently had a chance to have Macarena as a server at Kona Cafe or an experience with another server or other cast member that reminded you of why you love Disney and keep going back?

Last edited:
We haven't had any servers that really stand out to me and Kona was not at all on my radar for our Dec trip, but this almost makes me want to go there.

The CM interaction I remember most was from our first family trip in 2018. It was our first day maybe an hour after getting off the plane and we were in line to meet Mickey at Town Hall. My son had his 1st visit and birthday button on and the CM near us (who's name escapes me) was so sweet with him, gave him a bunch of stickers and a ton of Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom cards. It was basically our first experience with Disney Parks (I had only been 1 other time as a kid) and with the CM's and she just set the tone. It didn't hurt to see my son's face light up when he saw Mickey for the very first time as we entered the room.

We had a great server at Kona named Damane. This was back in 2016 but I still remember how fun and nice he was.
We haven't had any servers that really stand out to me and Kona was not at all on my radar for our Dec trip, but this almost makes me want to go there.

The CM interaction I remember most was from our first family trip in 2018. It was our first day maybe an hour after getting off the plane and we were in line to meet Mickey at Town Hall. My son had his 1st visit and birthday button on and the CM near us (who's name escapes me) was so sweet with him, gave him a bunch of stickers and a ton of Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom cards. It was basically our first experience with Disney Parks (I had only been 1 other time as a kid) and with the CM's and she just set the tone. It didn't hurt to see my son's face light up when he saw Mickey for the very first time as we entered the room.

That's awesome and goes to show that it doesn't really take a ton of pixie dust to make a magical experience that you'll remember and will keep you wanted to return. Whether its a cast member offering your child a complimentary ice cream bar as you walk past an empty snack cart, an extra caring server at a restaurant, a simple conversation with a friendly CM on the monorail platform at your resort, or something more over the top.. that's largely where the magic is. At least for me.

While I waited for my table … a server took me to 3 different spots to find Hidden Mickeys but probably gone now.
If I stood by the register and looked at those floating (?) balloons with nets wrapped around they will align to form a Hidden Mickey.
Also 3 tiny nails with the nail heads on windowsill by monorail.
I forgot the third…
Some of the servers have been there forever. I hope they were invited back to continue their excellent guest service.

The bartender at Crockett's Tavern in Fort Wilderness. I apologize but I do not have his name. This was in January/February of this year, we went at night a few times because parks closed early back then. Guy was a super professional, kept everything wiped down clean, chatted me up about football a bit. Had a cool western accent, just a hint of it.

Planning on going back in February and hope to see him again. One person's extra effort, even just a bit, can go such a long way especially when traveling and spending a lot of money.

The bartender at Crockett's Tavern in Fort Wilderness. I apologize but I do not have his name. This was in January/February of this year, we went at night a few times because parks closed early back then. Guy was a super professional, kept everything wiped down clean, chatted me up about football a bit. Had a cool western accent, just a hint of it.

Planning on going back in February and hope to see him again. One person's extra effort, even just a bit, can go such a long way especially when traveling and spending a lot of money.

Agreed. It doesn't take a lot, but goes a long way.

I always say whenever I'm at Tambu Lounge, ask for Walter. He makes an excellent Mai Tai and he makes it his own special way that isn't too sweet like the "house" recipe.

Several times a trip I have such outstanding customer service that I have to write in to Disney Guest Services to compliment them. On my last trip I had such a pleasant experience with a young lady working front desk at AoA that I wrote to guest services that night about it.
But yeah, I've had some excellent servers at Geyser Point, Spice Road Table, and a few of the resort pool bars. I mean sure, they just mix drinks but their personality, friendliness, and conversation really sold me.

But yeah, I've had some excellent servers at Geyser Point, Spice Road Table, and a few of the resort pool bars. I mean sure, they just mix drinks but their personality, friendliness, and conversation really sold me.
x2 on Geyser, only went once but the young man serving us was motivated and charming. great place and staff is on point.

We first met Byron when he worked at 50's Prime Time Cafe. He took such good care of us that he is a treasured memory of our visit to that restaurant. In fact, he is enshrined in our Disney Trip Hall of fame for introducing us to the Peanut butter and Jelly milkshake.

I gushed like a fan girl when I ran into him again at the Skipper Canteen in the Magic Kingdom. I got the chance to tell him how much he meant to our family and I left him a giant tip. On the way out after my meal I asked to speak with the manager about how great he is. Spoiler alert: The manager already knew Byron was a real gem. I also wrote a letter to Guest Services praising Byron when I got home from that trip, hopefully so the big cheese at the Skipper Canteen got to see it as well.

When Covid hit the parks and caused a shut down, the first CM I worried about was Byron. I hope he's alright. If I ever run into him again he's going to get a big hello and the royal treatment once again.
~NM

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter