Lunch on Our Own in Juneau?

Mackie Mouse

Even my dog loves Disney
I searched the Alaska excursions thread for this, but couldn't find anything...so I'll see where starting my own thread takes me. :)

Hubby and I have decided to put together our own itinerary in Juneau on our Alaskan cruise this summer so we can save some money and do the things we want at our leisure. Our plans include a trip to Mendenhall Glacier (shuttling ourselves there and back should cost $16 pp), a ride on the Mt. Roberts tramway ($30 pp), and a tour and tasting at the Alaskan Brewing Company ($7.50 for the shuttle to the brewery - tasting and tour are free!).

Somewhere in there, we'll need to grab lunch. Any recommendations? We are definite foodies, so something convenient that isn't too touristy (might be hard to find in Juneau during tourist season, though!) should fit the bill.

Some names of places I looked up today:
-Tracy's Crab Shack (should fit the bill perfectly, but is it overpriced?)
-Red Dog Saloon (decidedly touristy, but a friend went there and liked it)
-Hangar on the Wharf
-Twisted Fish (looks like we might have a nice view of the cruise ship from here or the Hangar?)
-Zephyr
-Sandpiper Cafe

Any suggestions?

Yes, Tracey's Crab Shack is a bit pricey. Honestly it was very good, possibly the best crab cakes and bisque that we ever had. If our family ever makes it back to Juneau we will definetly eat there again. I am sure you won't be disappointed.

Tracey's was great! We had the bisque and Dungeness crab. The King Crab legs were huge and I wish we would have tried those too!

I've heard enough about Tracey's crab shack here on the boards that it will be a top priority when we're in Juneau in June. Can't wait!

I thought the crab legs were overpriced; however, it is convenient to the dock and the tram and had the best bisque I've ever had. I wasn't disappointed with the food; I just didn't find value in the price of the crab legs.

In 2002 brand new DH and I went wandering and found a tasty Mexican restaurant in Juneau. In 2009 my stepdad went wandering, without ever hearing our story, and found the same place. Really good. Don't know where. But it's walking distance!

LOVED the Red Dog Saloon. Yes, it is touristy, but it is a lot of fun and the food is delish. Highly recommend the Red Dog! :thumbsup2

LOVED the Red Dog Saloon. Yes, it is touristy, but it is a lot of fun and the food is delish. Highly recommend the Red Dog! :thumbsup2

We loved the Red Dog! You feel like Jack London might walk in at any minute, and the food is really good!:goodvibes

Another vote for Tracy's Crab Shack. The best I have had. And coming from the Pacific Northwest I have had my share.

Kevin

In three times to Juneau, I've always gone to the food truck/shack area by the ships, haven't been disappointed at all.

Thanks for the advice! A friend who did Alaska by land last year also recommended Hangar on the Wharf...looks like we'll have some great options!

I searched the Alaska excursions thread for this, but couldn't find anything...so I'll see where starting my own thread takes me. :)

Hubby and I have decided to put together our own itinerary in Juneau on our Alaskan cruise this summer so we can save some money and do the things we want at our leisure. Our plans include a trip to Mendenhall Glacier (shuttling ourselves there and back should cost $16 pp), a ride on the Mt. Roberts tramway ($30 pp), and a tour and tasting at the Alaskan Brewing Company ($7.50 for the shuttle to the brewery - tasting and tour are free!).

Somewhere in there, we'll need to grab lunch. Any recommendations? We are definite foodies, so something convenient that isn't too touristy (might be hard to find in Juneau during tourist season, though!) should fit the bill.

Some names of places I looked up today:
-Tracy's Crab Shack (should fit the bill perfectly, but is it overpriced?)
-Red Dog Saloon (decidedly touristy, but a friend went there and liked it)
-Hangar on the Wharf
-Twisted Fish (looks like we might have a nice view of the cruise ship from here or the Hangar?)
-Zephyr
-Sandpiper Cafe

Any suggestions?

Are you going to visit the capital?

Probably blasphemy in an area known for seafood, but any recommendations for guests who like burgers and fries while we're on the topic?

Probably blasphemy in an area known for seafood, but any recommendations for guests who like burgers and fries while we're on the topic?

We stopped by Twisted Fish because DH wanted to buy a shirt. It's a very nice table service place and even serves buffalo burgers in addition to beef burgers.

It's been several years since I've been there, but Hangar's on the Wharf (the pub and grill) had a good burger. The other food there was great too - so if others in your party want something a little less "plain" it's great for that too.

When we were there in 2011, my son and his wife loved the crab shack (they are big seafood eaters). My mom and I are not but the crab shack is located where there are a few "shacks" and we found a place that sells crepes that we absolutely loved. I had a chicken and cheese crepe while my mom had a ham and cheese crepe (they make them to order). We finished it off by sharing a dessert crepe that was fabulous!! If I get back to Juneau, I would definitely seek this out.

FYI - when we were coming back from our excursion, people were asking the bus driver where they could get the best seafood and he's the one that recommended the crab shack. He mentioned the Red Dog is nice and gives a great experience but if you're strictly looking for food then head to the crab shack.

Red dog may be a bit touristy but fun and the food wasn't half bad. It's an experience anyway. And not far from the dock.

Are you going to visit the capital?

Probably not...although it's a possibility if we have time. Right now, they plan is to:
1) Take the "blue bus" shuttle up to Mendenhall Glacier, see the visitor's center, and make the hike out to the waterfall
2) Head back downtown for a ride on the Mt. Roberts tramway
3) Eat lunch
4) Take the Alaskan Brewing Company shuttle up to the brewery for a tour and tasting

We'll see where we're at time-wise after that!

I haven't been anywhere yet, but a friend did recommend both the Hangar and Twisted Fish as generally good sit-down lunch places.

Thanks for this post as I'm not planning on taking any excursions in Juneau and planning to see and do everything myself before enjoying the food Juneau has to offer!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter