Luaus - Chief's, Fia Fia, or Ka Wa'a?

leafyeon

blue skies & sunshine, guaranteed
Hi there! We are spending just three nights at Aulani in August, as two adults. We are having trouble choosing between Chief's Luau, Fia Fia, or the Ka Wa'a luau.

Chief's Luau: We have heard great reviews about Chief Sielu, and this luau is the cheapest, but we will not have a car with us for our time in Ko Olina. (We are doing a split stay, so we will have a car for our time in Honolulu but because we are only spending two full days at Aulani, it seemed unnecessary). Is there any way we can get to Wet 'n' Wild for the luau from Aulani without renting a car? We'd prefer to do it when we stay at Aulani because it's much nearer from Ko Olina than from downtown Honolulu!

Our other alternatives are seeing Chief Sielu at Fia Fia at the Marriott Beach Club nearby, or doing Ka Wa'a right on property. Ka Wa'a sounds like a great experience but it is definitely pricey!

We are looking for good food and a good show. If anyone has any advice or experience they'd like to share, we'd much appreciate it!

Paradise Cove luau is another good choice and it's within walking distance of Aulani. We have done the Chief's Luau and Paradise Cove. I thought the grounds (sunset over the ocean) and pre-activities were superior at Paradise Cove. The actual shows and meals were very similar. YMMV.

I researched luaus ad nauseam and decided on Fia Fia. I didn't want to drive to Chief's regular spot and I liked the location of Fia Fia plus the price was a little more manageable for our family. We go in July!

Dis Fia Fia last time and Ka was' this time. Both were great shows, food was much better at Aulani, and we did the VIP package which included alcohol and soft drinks. you won't go wrong with either. The prime rib at Aulani was soooo good.

Dis Fia Fia last time and Ka was' this time. Both were great shows, food was much better at Aulani, and we did the VIP package which included alcohol and soft drinks. you won't go wrong with either. The prime rib at Aulani was soooo good.
Can I ask you? I read they have a kids food area at Aulani. We have three adult kids with autism. They prefer the kids meal food. Did you see any adults in line for the kid friendly foods?

Can I ask you? I read they have a kids food area at Aulani. We have three adult kids with autism. They prefer the kids meal food. Did you see any adults in line for the kid friendly foods?

im 25 and i went in the line for the kids stuff because they had chicken fingers and bbq sauce. Granted, I still got the other stuff(poké, roast pork, fish, etc.) but I and multiple other older ppl were still wanting some kid stuff as well.

The only thing about the kids area is it is lower to the ground, so you probably have to bend down.

Thank you to all so much for your advice and responses! Information is power so I am very glad to have more of it to help us make our decision.

I think we are going to do Fia Fia. We are only in Ko Olina for a short time, and the timing of the luau is not great (it starts at 4:30 p.m.; Ka Wa'a doesn't start till 5:30!), but we do want to see the famous fire dancing. Ka Wa'a has also already sold out of VIP tickets for both of our dates.

I rang up the Chief's Luau line and asked them regarding transportation - they said I could easily take an Uber or taxi for around $30-$35 per vehicle, round trip from Aulani, and that there are plenty of cabs/Ubers in the area, so we wouldn't have to worry about availability. Because it is at a waterpark at night, however, I have been reading a lot of reports about bugs and insects around the still water, which would bother us a lot. It is also more expensive than Fia Fia, plus the added transportation cost.

Does the Aulani luau not have fire dancing?

Ah, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it didn't. I don't know about whether they have it at Ka Wa'a, but Chief Sielu, who heads up Chief's Luau and Fia Fia, is apparently a world champion in fire knife dancing. I didn't even know they held world championships for such things, but that's what they advertise!

There are always adults in line for the "kid food". There is no judgement passed on what you eat there.

yes, it does. they cover the story of Maui(not the disney version) stealing fire for his mom if i remember right. there are 4 fire dancers in this section.
Agree, that's what they had when we did the luau a month ago.

Hello, sorry to thread hijack - but just a quick question.

How far in advance do I need to book the Aulani luau. Is it something we can do at the resort, or does it sell out?

Hello, sorry to thread hijack - but just a quick question.

How far in advance do I need to book the Aulani luau. Is it something we can do at the resort, or does it sell out?

we booked a few months in advance because we wanted VIP seating. id recommend doing it ahead of time and for one of the early days of your trip. if it gets rained out, they will flex you to another showing on a later day(if you are still there)

This luau is only for guests staying at Aulani, correct?

we booked a few months in advance because we wanted VIP seating. id recommend doing it ahead of time and for one of the early days of your trip. if it gets rained out, they will flex you to another showing on a later day(if you are still there)
We also booked ahead and early in our trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter