Love fireworks and night time shows but I am SO over these dessert parties

joyjoy

DIS Veteran
I've been previously convinced that the only way to truly enjoy fireworks shows (MK and EP specifically) is to purchase a dessert party with viewing. We've done HEA dessert party 3 times in the past 2 years and the Frozen dessert party for Illuminations once in 2018. We bought all of them for the viewing. The alcohol at the Illuminations thing was nice and so was the ride at park closing, but the food at all of them is just kind of ... meh. Now that the Illuminations party is no more... I need to know. Is watching the fireworks without these prime viewing spots just as good? I am not at all interested in fighting giant crowds at MK to see HEA. We are DVC members and will be at the Poly in May and CC (WL) in October. What are the fireworks like without seeing the castle projections and story? We CRY watching that, y'all. And at Epcot, is the new show as good without that Illuminations dessert party premium spot? There is a FP for that one, right? Do you have to arrive hours before the show? My dream is to watch fireworks from my balcony at WL or the beach at the Poly and have that warmy-warm happy magical feeling... for anyone who has done both- does that happen?

There's no projections for Epcot Forever, so, really anywhere around the lagoon is fine. You can grab a Fast Pass if you want, but I don't know if it's really that much better than just grabbing a spot around the lagoon.

I only did the one dessert party at MK right before the big price jump (about 5 years ago?!). We all agreed that the view, while close and unobstructed, really wasn't that great, as the fireworks are choreographed to be viewed looking head on at the castle. While we were happy to have done it once, nobody has ever mentioned doing it again.

I refuse to pay that kind of upcharge for a view, but I admit I am a bit nervous about finding a spot to see HEA this trip. I have not seen it and may end up changing my mind about price vs convenience.

My dream is to watch fireworks from my balcony at WL or the beach at the Poly and have that warmy-warm happy magical feeling... for anyone who has done both- does that happen?

I get that feeling from the Poly when I stay there and watch the fireworks, mainly because of the convenience. I can jump in the pool or go back to my room right after. :)

I wouldn’t make a special trip to the Poly just to watch the fireworks though. The beach area can be crowded and the pathways by the beach can be clogged.

Yea, there is absolutely no need for it at either park IMO. You definitely don't need to show up hours in advance at MK, not sure why people continue to say that. If you are there during a major holiday or with a very large group that wants to stay together, then that is different (maybe an hour, tops, in those situations). I have walked up about 15-20 minutes before the show to a perfect spot countless times at MK with zero issues.
Epcot has definitely never needed a dessert party to enjoy the viewing, not sure I've even heard that on here recommended at any point. There are tooooons of great spots all around the lagoon that you can walk up to literally as the show is starting. The dessert party or FP viewing areas could actually put you at a disadvantage depending on how the wind is blowing that night.

You will be absolutely fine! No need to think you won't see the projections! I have never attended a dessert party or FP for viewing of anything, and always manage to find a prime spot. It's absolutely not necessary to pay all the extra $$ to see these shows. They are planned so that ALL can see them, and they do!!! Especially Illuminations (or Epcot Forever, now) - there is absolutely no problem seeing it from virtually anywhere in the World Showcase. Save your money and enjoy the show!!!
Having said all that, this year, finally, after years of WDW visits, I considered the fireworks dessert party during MVMCP because I wanted to sit down during the fireworks. It was sold out by the time I decided, but no big deal, I'll watch from Main Street, like always. And also this year, for the first time we are doing the Fantasmic Dessert thing. It's kind of like a Fast Pass with a bag of food, looks pretty laid back, so we're trying it.

You will still need it for MK especially if you are used to enjoying a good view without showing up hours before. For Epcot not really.

This has NEVER been my experience. We've never ever shown up hours before (or really even minutes before) a fireworks show at the MK, and always just stood on Main Street within minutes of it starting. I can't ever remember people actually waiting more than 20 minutes or so in a spot for the fireworks in MK. Parade yes, fireworks, no. Also, the view for the people at the party is inferior to the view I've always had over the years - straight down Main Street! :)

My dream is to watch fireworks from my balcony at WL or the beach at the Poly and have that warmy-warm happy magical feeling... for anyone who has done both- does that happen?

I’ve watched numerous times from a WL room balcony, as well as a couple spots from Poly, and IMO, it’s just as magical to me. In that comparison, I give slight edge to Poly since you can actually hear the music... also, the surrounding atmosphere makes it a little extra special. I’ll add, I do not need to see the projections to enjoy the night time shows. The music is a big part for me, so I’d honestly be happy as long as I can hear HEA playing (or any accompanying soundtrack.) If the projections are a big deal to you, you might be a little disappointed.

I've done night time audience control at all the parks and worked most of the dessert parties thousands of times, so I'm very familiar with what takes place before the shows. Only 125 to 250 people attend any given dessert party. It's a tiny percentage of the total number of people who watch the shows and most of those thousands of people do just fine. It's also incorrect that you have to stake out a spot hours before the show, not even for the MK shows. Whenever I'm a Guest at a park, I start looking for a spot about 30 minutes before the show, but I know exactly where to look.
Now that the Illuminations party is no more
While Illuminations did end, Epcot's Frozen Ever After dessert party did not, it continued to be offered and will continue when the the new show begins. The Illuminations Sparkling Dessert Party actually ended over two years ago when the FEA party replaced it. As others have said, there are plenty of other good viewing spots to be had around the lagoon.

I've never been a Guest at a WDW dessert party but I know that it's unnecessary to do it just for the viewing alone. I'd do it for the party experience.

I'm also not a fan of watching the shows from anywhere other than from in the parks. I guess it's better than nothing.

I've never gotten a party just for the view. It's about adding something to the overall experience. It IS unnecessary but a nice add on and nothing more

This has NEVER been my experience. We've never ever shown up hours before (or really even minutes before) a fireworks show at the MK, and always just stood on Main Street within minutes of it starting. I can't ever remember people actually waiting more than 20 minutes or so in a spot for the fireworks in MK. Parade yes, fireworks, no. Also, the view for the people at the party is inferior to the view I've always had over the years - straight down Main Street! :)

As I have pointed out to others, my dad & I got stuck behind the castle at about 15minutes before the show. This was in 2017 back in the last week of November so HEA was the show. They were not letting people to Main Street then. So yes there is very much a risk of not getting the full experience if you don't get there early enough

We showed up to HEA about an hour before showtime and had a great viewing spot right behind one of the gated garden areas (so nobody stood in front of us). I don't really think theres a need to spend so much money on a viewing spot... unless, of course, your plans are so condensed that you can't arrive at least 30mins before to secure it.

WYOmOIs.jpg

As I have pointed out to others, my dad & I got stuck behind the castle at about 15minutes before the show. This was in 2017 back in the last week of November so HEA was the show. They were not letting people to Main Street then. So yes there is very much a risk of not getting the full experience if you don't get there early enough

That’s something people need to be aware of. ^^^
This happens when the hub gets too crowded, which is a lot of the time these days.
I had no idea this was a “thing” until a friend couldn’t meet us in the hub for the fireworks because they had closed entry to it.

We do parties because we think they are fun. I always book the MK party. I like knowing where my spot is. We travel during peak crowd times and I won’t stand in the mess that is Main St.

You do what you’re comfortable with.

We have never done a dessert party.
MK -have always been able to get a good view arriving about 30 minutes before. We are not there during Holidays, so a dessert party may make sense then.
EPCOT - we were always able to find a good view of Illuminations, EPCOT Forever has next to nothing directly on the water, its all above, so there are good views all around.

I've done the MK party a few times, and honestly, if you want a prime view, you have to show up and secure your table early anyway. There really aren't that many perfect viewing tables. On our last trip (the Halloween show), I felt like the food offered was less enticing that previous parties. We are doing the HS Jingle Bam show this trip, but that's largely because it gets such high marks for the gingerbread martinis, LOL! I'm over the dessert parties for the most part.

We used to book the parties when my kids were young but since they started to get charged the adult price we don’t do them anymore. Why should my kids get charged an adult price when they can’t drink the alcohol.

We do the MK one twice every trip, however, with the price going up AGAIN in early 2020, I'm not sure if that trend will continue. Now with the addition of savory items like the spring rolls, we just have a light dinner on party nights. Can you make do without the party?...absolutely. It is nice to watch the fireworks with the dessert party though...an even more resounding "absolutely!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter