Lottery for turtle nesting????

dbkelly

Mouseketeer
Is it true that you can't just sign up for the turtle nesting tour at VB? Can anyone tell me how I sign up for the lottery and where? Does anyone know any tricks to getting picked? I wish I knew ahead of time that the turtle nesting tour is a lottery, because I would not of told my children about it. Now I got their hopes up.

Thanks,

D. B. Kelly

We've only done this once, so I may have some info mixed up. If I do, someone please correct me.
You are given an information sheet when you check in. It will tell you when to come down to the lobby for the lottery drawing. It's early in the morning. You then put your room key in a hat and they pick from this. (We were very lucky to get picked.) If I remember right, it's one key per room. But you can have more than one person for that key. I think it was up to four people per key.
I think it's the only fair way to do this, as it seems to be a very popular event.
Good luck.

Sebastian State Park just up from the VB resort takes reservations for their turtle walks.
Sea Turtle Walks
June and July
9 PM – Midnight

Sea turtle watch programs begin with a slide show about sea turtles, followed by a walk on the beach to the location of a nesting loggerhead sea turtle. The walk can be up to two miles. Insect repellant is suggested. Loggerhead sea turtle were seen on 2/3 of last year’s tours. Reservations required by calling (321) 984-4852. Reservations for June will be taken on May 15 only, starting at 8 AM. Reservations for the month on July will be taken on June 15 only.

Do the turtles only nest between June and July? Is the tour available year round at the hotel? We will be there in April.

D. B. Kelly

P.S. Thank you Barb and Madcoco for the info.

My understanding is that they only nest during the summer. You might see flagged nests that are now vacated on the beach. But, I don't think you would see any turtles in April.

I don't think there will be turtles nesting in April. I have never seen them in early May.

For others who will be there in June/July, here is the info from the latest VM.

Due to last year’s overwhelming success, we are
again offering a special sea turtle program on
Monday evenings this June and July. The session
begins with a special presentation hosted by
a staff biologist with the Caribbean Conservation
Corporation (CCC) and is followed by a field trip
to Archie Carr National Wildlife Refuge to see
a nesting turtle. The cost for the program is $20,
which includes an adopt-a-turtle packet
with an adoption certificate, name and
photo of a loggerhead sea turtle, a sea turtle
fact sheet, and a one-year subscription to
the CCC newsletter (one per household).
Disney Vacation Club Members can make
advance reservations for both the presentation and
field trip by calling the CCC at (800) 678-7853.
Payment is due at the time of reservation.

DBKelly -- Here's a site about the sea turtles. Maybe you can find out more information. The nesting season does actually run from March-October. (I seemed to recall a notice in the rooms at Vero advising to close the drapes at night during this time period.) The majority of nesting seems to take place in June-July but maybe there is something to see in April if you hook up with one of the authorized tour groups.

Sea Turtle Info

We spent the month of August in Cocoa Beach last summer. During that month, we saw signs of turtles laying eggs 3 times right in front of our resort. You can tell they were there by the impressions they leave in the sand crawling in then back out. They usually come in at night. We never did see a mature Loggerhead.
We were however, very fortunate to see a hatch just before dark one night. We saw over 60 turtles pop out of the sand and scamper into the ocean. It was very cool.
My point is, Fla has many miles of public beaches and the nesting happens along many of these miles. You don't need a tour to go look for sea turtles, just a public beach. Remember though, no flashlights, don't scare off a turtle and nature is unpredictable so you may have to hunt for the experience or just get lucky...spruce

Don't be surprised if there is a decline in nests this year.The beach renourishment project will almost definitely cut down on the amount of nestings this year on the local beaches. Please try not to disturb them. The females are easily spooked especially when coming up out of the water to nest. Just the slightest disturbance can cause them to return to the water or false nest where they nest but do not lay any eggs. It is hard to curtail a child or adult's enthusiasm when spotting a turtle for the 1st time.It's only natural to be excited. Have see on a number of occasions over the years of people trying to grab them,take pictures with flash, loud shouting etc. Please try to take an official tour or be at least educated in what not to do. It is a wonderful sight. The beach area in front of the McLarty Treasure Museum(A1A north of resort) is a great place at times to spot quite a few juveniles playing in the weed beds just offshore.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter