Lots of questions for someone confined to a wheelchair

annemarie

Earning My Ears
I have MS and have no use of my legs. I am a total lift and currently confined to my wheelchair. Anyways...planning a trip with my brother and his wife and her family right after Thanksgiving to WDW. Lots of questions.... Thinking of staying at the Dolphin or Swan. How are the rooms there? Know I need a roll-in shower and raised toilet and grab bars. Not sure whether to use my manual wheelchair or rent an electric one...........suggestions??? My main worry is the restrooms at the parks. Since I am a total lift now, I need 2 people to help me in the bathroom. I understand they have family restrooms......has anyone used them? If I use the regular restrooms, are they able to fit an electric cart easily? I would also like any info on rides that I can and cannot ride. I will have help to physically get me in and out of rides if they are not too low or difficult. Enough questions..........but any advice is welcome. Thanks.

The companion restrooms at the parks are hugh as bathrooms go, they are about 10x10 so you will have no problem with extra people in their to help you. I have 2 kids in wheelchairs and we all fit with lots of room left over.

They are making improvements to rides that allow wheelchairs to roll on the rides but not ECV's. You will not be able to do the merry-go-round or Peter Pan ride. The Peter Pan rides doesn't stop so you have to be able to get on while it's moving. (This used to be my oldest DD's favorite ride until I could no longer pick her up and run with her she can't do it anymore).

Welcome to our board! Please see our FAQ, just click on the link in my signature for more information. We will be glad to help you find answers to your questions, just stick around a bit and we will help you plan the vacation you need. :)

Here is a link to a thread about rooms at the Swan and Dolphin If you have questions about other resorts, feel free to ask.

Companion restrooms are large enough for assistants. There are also accessible bathrooms in the First Aide stations.

When you make your reservations through your travel agent, such as Dreams Unlimited or Disney CRO, tell them you need fully wheelchair accessible rooms. They will do their best to accomodate your needs no matter which resort you choose.

I think if you can rent an electric wheelchair that is safe and comfortable, you will have more independence. Safety is the number one issue, and you should make sure that our choice is right for your needs. If there are people there able and willing to push and lift, then you will be OK... but the ability to move about on your own a bit will take some pressure off. There are a few very good rental companies for long-term rentals in Orlando.

Be sure to look at the information in our FAQ, just click on the link in my signature. There is also some Disability Information available linked from the DIS Main Page that has ride access information.

You already got a lot of good info. I can add a little more and please feel free to ask more questions. My youngest DD has cerebral palsy and is pretty much a total lift. The thing that we have found is some rides don't have a lot of room for anyone to help lift you on or off. You can still have a good time even if you only go on things where you can stay in the wheelchair.

As everyone else said, the companion restrooms and the ones in first aide are fine. Locations are listed in the Guidebook for Guest with Disabilities. There is a guidebook for each park and you can pick them up at guest Services. If you want a complete list, I can post it. The only parks where you will be able to use the regular restrooms are AK and some of the restrooms in the Studio. They are newer parks and have companion stalls in the ladies rooms. A wheelchair won't even fit in the handicapped stalls in the regular restrooms at MK and Epcot, so it's not even worth trying to go in them. Some of the restrooms, we can't even get my DD's wheelchair comfortably in the door, much less use the stall.

The most commonly rented power vehicles are ecvs. Depending on your needs and your ability to keep your balance, they may not work for you. They have a seat kind of like an office chair and are more suited for people who can get on and off themselves. As was already mentioned, ecvs users are not always able to go on all rides that wheelchair users are. Here are links to the various medical equipment rental companies mentioned by DIS posters:
Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee 407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com/

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html

Care is the only one that lists renting power wheelchairs on their web site. They only rent power wheelchairs to people who have one at home but have chosen not to bring it (because power wheelchairs are a little harder to drive than ecvs).

Lets see what informaton I can give! :) Alth you seem to already have a few thoughts in place what you want.

I see many have given you some killer information! :) But let me enlighten you just a tad! :)

the list of STAY IN CHAIR RIDES are as follows:

Magic Kingdom
  • BuzzLightYear
  • Carousel of Progress (ok its not really a ride in the full sense but I love it!! :))
  • Winnie the Pooh
  • Tom Sawyer Island (don't think I did this one but the book says so)
  • Walt Disney Railroad
  • Its a Small World

MGM
  • The Great Movie Ride
  • Disney-MGM Backlot Tour
  • Backstage Pass tour

Animal Kingdom
  • Kiliminjaro Safaries (the premis is silly but the animals are amazing!!!)
  • Wildlife Express to Conservation Station

Epcot
  • Ellen's Energy Adventure (can't vouch for this one I don't recall if I rode it)
  • Journey Into Your Imagination
  • Living With the Land
  • Friendship Boats
  • El Rio Del Tiempo

Let me also extent my welcome to you!! :)

My DW is a totle lift and when we'er in the mood to eride we do. The CM's are great about stopping the rides and giving you the time you need to get in. There are of course some exceptions if the rides are timed but there aren't to many. about the only ride that was alittle hard was rockin roller coaster, they do have a handicapped car where the side of the car swings out of the way but it is a drop down to hte seat. But it is well worth it if you can handle it. any other questions email me.:bounce: :pinkbounc :bounce:

They can and will stop some rides. One of the ones I kn ow won't stop is Peter Pan. My DH asked about that in March and was told it can't be stopped. He almost fell getting our DD out on our last ride, so I don't think we'll be doing that one again. My other DD and I were told by the CM to wait to board until after DH and DD were on. By the time we boarded, we were 3 cars behind him and could not help get her out. We should have gone in the car ahead of them. He knew that and should probably have asked to ride a second time so we could get out before them and be there to help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter