LOST baggage from Hotel bag *CHECK IN**

shopn24seven

DIS Veteran
Never again will I have a WDW hotel check my bags IN.
I still have no bags.....3 days, now.

Requested a 7 am bag pick up, as we were going out for breakfast at the AKL.
They arrived an hour early, HELLO...LOL.
Picked up my bags and they were off...
We later received a letter that our bags were at the airport. LOL.
We flew home and watched EVERY bag get claimed. Our bags were not there.

Called DME and CBR, and they told me my bags were never SCANNED...and that they would fed ex my bags to me. That was Monday. TODAY, I called just to make sure they WERE...and this person told me my bags just now arrived at CBR. HUH??? First guy said they were there and 2nd guy said they just arrived there. WHATEVER...
He claims they will be UPS's (not FED EX'd, as the other guy told me) tonight (WED). So we shall see.
I am so MAD....I fell like writing a LETTER...:headache:

What kind of claim check do you have or did you get when you surrendered your bags?

Or mayge the above is not relevant since the resort has admitted still being in possession of your baggage and agrees to get it returned to you even though you and your plane are long gone.

By the way, its a good idea to get receipts from the bellhop on the spot unless he is accompanying you down to the front desk when you and your family are all ready to go down. But I'm not sure of the exact procedure. For all I know, if you say you saw the bellhop come early and take the baggage, then he did.

Remove yellow Magical Express tags before going home. Otherwise baggage might end up back at your resort.

Note: DME is not connected with baggage going home; another process (with a company called BAGS, Inc.) does that.

I removed my tags as requested. Not sure what happened to them after that, but they didn't go to Philly. :rotfl:
I did have a white strip claim number for my bags. They looked like the DME w out them mouse head on them amd should have been put on my bags, but I was in possession of them, LOL.

I will give them until 1/3 before I call them AGAIN. :rolleyes1

I've never used resort baggage check-in because I always fly SW but I thought you had to check the bags in at the desk in the lobby. They will pick them up from your room and send them directly to the airport?

That was the problem, they did NOT send them to the airport. They stayed at the hotel, while I was flying back home. Someone evidently did not follow through with their responsibilities. Next time, I WILL check in my OWN bags.

A miscommunication occurred during you rstay.

Bell Services CANNOT take your bags and check them in for the airport.

You must go to the BAGS airline check in desk at the hotel and check them in yourself. A bell hop can bring them down for you and take them to the airline checkin desk for you, but you must be there and hav eyour ID checked and give the bags to the airline desk yourself- who are not DW employees, but employees of BAGS - a TSA approved agency..

I am guessing they did not make this clear to you as bell services could not check your bags in for you per TSA regulations. You must be present yourself with ID at the airline checkin desk, otherwise all bell services is doing is storing your bags until you take them.

They told me none of that.
When we got back from breakfast, I had the note that the bags were on the plane or the airport, so I did not follow up with it.
From now on, I will just take care of it myself. BIG waste of time and no bags, to date.

You must go to the BAGS airline check in desk at the hotel and check them in yourself. A bell hop can bring them down for you and take them to the airline checkin desk for you, but you must be there and hav eyour ID checked and give the bags to the airline desk yourself- who are not DW employees, but employees of BAGS - a TSA approved agency..

I am guessing they did not make this clear to you as bell services could not check your bags in for you per TSA regulations. You must be present yourself with ID at the airline checkin desk, otherwise all bell services is doing is storing your bags until you take them.

I agree, this is the policy. Only the flyer can check their own bags in person. The agent must ask you the required language -- "any liquids, or film in the bags" "did you pack them". Yes it appears that both the OP and the bellhop were not aware of the required rules that TSA imposed several years ago. We have used RAC more than a dozen times now and always in person at the counter and all adults must show picture ID. OP while the bellhop should've made sure you knew he was only taking them to the front desk, you also should have been aware of the rules too as a flyer. Sorry this happened to you, but at least when you talk to the folks at Disney, you now know what they are going to tell you and the blame would be not on Disney alone. Hope your bags arrive soon. I imagine there was some redtape involved with shipping your bags and security issues.

I agree, now I dont know about a letter you would've gotten saying they were at the airport as I also use SW. It sounds to me like the person that picked up your luggage thought you were just having them check it at bell services so you could go and do whatever on your last day and not have to deal with luggage. Then you come back to the resort and claim your bags from bell services and goto the airport with them in tow. Or the person thought you were going to be down shortly and do the resort airline checkin so they just took them down and were waiting for you to show up. Who knows exactly what happened, but I agree it a bummer it happened.

Yes, it would be a violation of federal law for anyone other than the person who packed the luggage to check it in for the airline. I suspect the hotel thought every traveler would know that. :confused3

Yes, it would be a violation of federal law for anyone other than the person who packed the luggage to check it in for the airline. I suspect the hotel thought every traveler would know that. :confused3

Every day is an opportunuity to learn something new. Unfortunately, many persons who are not seasoned travellers may not know that they are required to answer these questions each time they check in their bag.

Never again will I have a WDW hotel check my bags IN.
I still have no bags.....3 days, now.

Requested a 7 am bag pick up, as we were going out for breakfast at the AKL.
They arrived an hour early, HELLO...LOL.
Picked up my bags and they were off...
We later received a letter that our bags were at the airport. LOL.

Called DME and CBR, and they told me my bags were never SCANNED...and that they would fed ex my bags to me. That was Monday. TODAY, I called just to make sure they WERE...and this person told me my bags just now arrived at CBR. HUH??? First guy said they were there and 2nd guy said they just arrived there. WHATEVER...
He claims they will be UPS's (not FED EX'd, as the other guy told me) tonight (WED). So we shall see.
I am so MAD....I fell like writing a LETTER...:headache:

Yeh, it was just a very unfortunate circumstance that you didn't realize how it all worked.

PLEASE, I hope you don't feel attacked or piled up upon by my comments and the other comments above. It's just one of those things where you innocently didn't realize how the system worked.

Now, some might say it's Disney's responsibility to tell you when you arrange the pick-up that they don't check the luggage onto your flight for you. To those people, I'd respond that Bell Services picks up and stores all the time, only a fraction of which will eventually be checked by the passengers with Resort Airline Check-in.

Even just think of it from a common-sense point f view, even if you aren't travel-savvy. Before you flew out of PHL or ACY or EWR or wherever you started, you had a DME tag on each bag you checked with the airline. In addition, when you brought those bags to the airport, someone at the airport, in your presence, put a tag on each bag that had specific info such as your flight number and your final destination's 3-letter airport code. That tag got the bags onto your plane, and the DME tags got your bags from the plane to your resort.

When you had your bags in your room awaiting pickup by Bell Services, they weren't tagged with anything. There would be no way for them to know where your bags are going ... no way to know you wouldn't be picking them up from storage later. There would be no way for them to know to send your bags anywhere.

When people go to the resort Airline Check-in counter, they have to check-in for their flight, show ID, etc. Think of RAC as curbside check-in, only it's in your resort lobby and not at the airport.

So, again, please take this as educational info and not as piling on of criticism. I have no criticism for you. It's just that we all need to know our own responsibilities before trusting a system to work for us.

That was the problem, they did NOT send them to the airport. They stayed at the hotel, while I was flying back home. Someone evidently did not follow through with their responsibilities. Next time, I WILL check in my OWN bags.

There have been several issues here. 1. BAGS should NOT take bags from people who cannot provide photo ID that they are the passenger. 2. Bell Services should NEVER have told you that they were going to check your luggage. If they did, I would write Disney. They need to get AKL Bell Services in line. This was WRONG on two sides. BAGS violated TSA regulations (which while useless are the rules) and Bell Services should not commit to things they can't do.

For anyone else DO NOT TRY THIS! CHECK YOUR OWN BAGS!

1. BAGS should NOT take bags from people who cannot provide photo ID that they are the passenger. 2. Bell Services should NEVER have told you that they were going to check your luggage. If they did, I would write Disney.

But neither of these things happened. 1. BAGS didn't take the bags. They were never checked in. 2. There is no indication that Bell Services said they'd check the luggage. They simply took the luggage because they were asked to picke them up. It sounds like they simply stored it.

As for the letter the OP received, it may simly be a form letter they give to all guests using DME. "If you used BAGS, your luggage is at the airport..." type of thing. Obviously, I'm guessing here.

There have been several issues here. 1. BAGS should NOT take bags from people who cannot provide photo ID that they are the passenger. 2. Bell Services should NEVER have told you that they were going to check your luggage. If they did, I would write Disney. They need to get AKL Bell Services in line. This was WRONG on two sides. BAGS violated TSA regulations (which while useless are the rules) and Bell Services should not commit to things they can't do.

For anyone else DO NOT TRY THIS! CHECK YOUR OWN BAGS!

Actually, it sounds like BAGs Inc. did nothing wrong: the bags were still sitting at the resort days later, probably still with bell services.

To me, the oddest thing about the OP's post was the statement: "We later received a letter that our bags were at the airport." Has anyone ever received a confirmation, other than an airline baggage claim check that matches the tag placed on the bag, showing your flight and destination airport, that your bags have been checked? -- Suzanne

Has anyone ever received a confirmation, other than an airline baggage claim check that matches the tag placed on the bag, showing your flight and destination airport, that your bags have been checked?

Yeah. That part is confusing. That's why I was wondering if it were some type of form letter--one meant to reassure guests and to provide additional information IF they used BAGS.

We used the service years ago (well, when it first began) and I don't remember getting a letter. It might be something they do now?

shopn24seven said:

Called DME and CBR, and they told me my bags were never SCANNED...
Between your bags not appearing at the airport and you calling DME and CBR, did you approach your airline's lost luggage office? What was their response?

shopn24seven said:
When we got back from breakfast, I had the note that the bags were on the plane or the airport, so I did not follow up with it.
I'm not doubting you, but in the three and a half plus years that Magical Express has been in operation, I've never seen or heard of such a letter - and yes, I have checked bags early in the morning for a late flight.

I've never done any type of resort check in, or dropped bags to be delivered to the airport...but somehow wouldn't the OP have NEEDED to have some type of receipt or claim checks in her hands? While I realize it doesn't always happen, aren't these type of things necessary if security stops you to prove the bags you're removing from the carousel are yours?

Somehow I don't think a letter that says "Your bags are at the airport" would fly.

I remember hearing of some guests getting their boarding passes delivered right to the room, also the baggage checkin stuff. Could this have been the case??
Personally, I don't see how that could have happened. I can't imagine that Bell Services can take your bags and then check them through for you..that would be against federal law....or some law.
I think the OP 'thought' the bags were going to be checked when they said goodby to them in the room. The situation wasn't fully understood. We see many instances where the guest/traveler isn't as educated as they should be when it comes to getting to and from the airport.
I can't say for sure what kind of notice the OP got either. It would seem that the bags remained at the hotel/resort, sitting in Bell Services.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter