Lordy! Lordy! DH is turning 40! Never too old for WDW! TR w/Pics 6/20/09-06/26/09

TheTXTaylors5

He's the Mickey to my Minnie
When Disney first announced the promotion for 2009, "What will you celebrate?", I knew exactly where we would be for DH's milestone birthday ...

:wizard: Walt Disney World! :wizard:

MK2009D.jpg

Cast of Travelers
Me (Jennifer) - SAHM and self-proclaimed Disney nut.
Favorite WDW ride/attraction: Rock 'n' Rollercoaster (DHS) (In the name of all that rocks. Hit it dude! - Stacy)
Favorite Disney Character: Snow White (Brunettes need to stick together!)

DH (Bill) - Hard working IT Manager. Our WDW trips are his "escape" from the fast-paced high stress environment of work.
Favorite WDW ride/attraction: Soarin' (Epcot) (EE close second.)
Favorite Disney Character: Mickey Mouse (The big cheese himself has always had a special place in DH's heart.)

DS9 - As he gets older, he gets more adventurous. Which makes our WDW trips more and more fun and a different experience for him each new trip. DH and I no longer have to ride RNR and EE alone.
Favorite WDW ride/attraction: Haunted Mansion (MK)
Favorite Disney Character: Pluto (Boy's best friend. Who doesn't love Pluto?)

DD6 - She is our girly girl. But, still a wild child at heart and up for some of the more adventurous rides at WDW now.
Favorite WDW ride/attraction: Test Track (Epcot) (Space Mountain close second. "That was awesome!" - DD6 after her very first ride on SM.)
Favorite Disney Character: Ariel

DS3 - He is like most boys his age, he loves anything related to Cars or Toy Story. With each new WDW trip, he is "willing" to ride more rides. A lot of people ask us why we visit WDW so much (usually three times a year). For us, each trip is a different experience and the children can atest to that.
Favorite WDW ride/attraction: Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin (MK)
Favorite Disney/Pixar Character: Buzz Lightyear (Little Green Aliens from Toy Story close second. He calls them Ewwwwww!)

:wizard: Itinerary :wizard: (updated 6/18/09)

Sunday (June 21st)
Morning
Check-in @ Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa
Afternoon
The Spa at Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort - DH Massage
Evening
Park: Magic Kingdom (EMH until 3 am!!!!)

Monday (June 22nd)
Morning
Park: Epcot
ADR – Nine Dragons (lunch)
Evening
Park: Animal Kingdom (EMH until 10 pm)

Tuesday (June 23rd)
Morning
Park: Hollywood Studios
ADR – Sci-Fi Dine-In (lunch)
Evening
Relax @ resort/DTD

Wednesday (June 24th)
Morning
Park: Animal Kingdom (EMH @ 8 am)
Evening
Relax @ resort (make Bill's birthday cake)

Thursday (June 25th)
Morning
Park: Magic Kingdom (EMH @ 8 am)
ADR – Crystal Palace (late breakfast)
Evening
Park: Epcot (EMH until 12 am)
ADR – Tutto Italia (dinner- just the two of us! :love:)
Kid’s Nite Out (Babysitter)

Friday (June 26th)
Morning
Park: Epcot
ADR - Les Chefs de France (lunch)
Afternoon
Depart WDW and head home to
Texas-1.jpg

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

We leave for WDW in NINE days!

:scared1: I can't believe how quickly this trip is approaching. So much to do, so little time. Isn't that always how it is? You anticipate and anticipate and then you want time to slow down just a tad. So, you can get everything done before departure day. :yay:

:woohoo: I am excited to report a few additions to our itinerary...

We arrive at SSR on Sunday (June 21st/Father's Day). I booked DH for a massage at the spa at SSR. That will be his Father's Day present. I was browsing the boards and another family was going to be at WDW for Father's Day. She had all sorts of special things planned for her DH. I honestly forgot Father's Day was that Sunday. I was planning and worrying about DH's birthday (June 25th) going well. The massage will be nice for DH after driving from Texas to Florida. He will need the stress reliever. :cloud9:

Also, initially we were scheduled to depart on Friday, June 26th. I booked us through the weekend (June 26 - June 28) at the Yacht Club. I've never stayed there. DH stayed there last year on business and enjoyed it. So, I thought it would be a nice surprise for DH to extend our stay for more Disney fun! :wizard:

:goodvibes Jennifer

:surfweb: I have planned and re-planned this trip so many times. I'm done creating the itinerary and am ready to go have some fun! I am dreading the heat and crowds. We have never gone during a peak season. We've been lucky enough to visit during value season = less crowds.

:wizard: We've been to WDW twelve (12) times in five years. I guess that probably makes us WDW pros by now. ;) But there are still things we haven't done. Disney always seems to be "plusing" their parks with refurbishments and new rides/attractions. So, every trip is a different experience for us. We never get tired of visiting WDW and now that we bought into DVC ... we have many, many years ahead of Disney magic. :wizard:

TOURING THE PARKS
As you can see below, I have an itinerary in place. I have a more detailed one in Word (with all the park hours, parade and fireworks times and what rides we want to do in each park). No matter what time of year you visit WDW, you should have some form of a plan in place. Trust me, it makes life so much easier when you get there. I just use it as a "guideline" and if we stray from it, oh well. We've been known to fly by the seat of our pants on certain days too. I plan to utilize FPs whenever possible. The invention of the FASTPASS system has saved us hours of wait time. I know the heat and humidity are going to be a big energy drainer. That is why I am trying to work in a big break mid-day to swim at the resort pool and get into AC. We were exhausted during our recent visit to WDW in May. By mid-day our energy was zapped by the heat. I can't imagine it now. I plan to bring lots and lots of water and maybe some gatorade and/or Smart Water.

Family Park Goals (I let everyone pick one "must" ride. Everything on top of that is extra magic.) :wizard:
Magic Kingdom:
DH - Splash Mountain
Me - Pirates of the Caribbean
DS9 - Haunted Mansion
DD6 - Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (She has now told me she doesn't want to ride this. Probably a good thing. With Space Mountain in refurb, I've read there are long lines now.)
DS3 - Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin

Epcot:
DH - Soarin'
Me - Soarin'
DS9 - Spaceship Earth
DD6 - Test Track
DS3 - Living Seas with Nemo and Friends

Hollywood Studios:
DH - RNR
Me - RNR
DS9 - The Great Movie Ride (Yes, we've raised a very bizarre nine year old!)
DD6 - TSM
DS3 - TSM

Animal Kingdom:
DH - EE
Me - EE
DS9 - EE
DD6 - Kali River Rapids
DS3 - The Boneyard

DISNEY DINING
We don't enjoy big elaborate dinners at WDW with the children. Our big meal is usually lunch. So, I plan our ADRs for lunch or even a late lunch/early dinner. This also saves on money, because we sometimes pay less at lunch for the same item on the dinner menu. We usually eat breakfast in our room (cereal or muffins). I do have one breakfast ADR booked this trip. On DH's birthday, I got an ADR for breakfast at Crystal Palace. We have tried to eat there the past few years and always have missed our ADR by not getting up in time. This time, I made sure we would be in bed early the night before and plan to be at MK for rope drop. That's the plan. We'll see what happens. :rolleyes1

Our ADRs
Nine Dragons - We eat here every trip. Can't get enough of the potstickers and honey sesame chicken.
Sci-Fi Dine-In - We've eaten here in the past for dinner and enjoyed the atmosphere. We even special requested burger for dinner (not on the menu, but they'll do it.)
I wanted to try it for lunch this time. We plan on sticking to burgers and shakes. That's what they're known for. Everything else is a crapshoot I've read.
Crystal Palace (DH's Birthday Breakfast) - New to us. I can't wait to finally dine with Pooh and Friends.
Tutto Italia (DH's Birthday Dinner) - New to us. DH and I both like "good" Italian food (I'm 1/2 Italian). I can't wait to try Disney's version of Italian cuisine.
Les Chefs de France - New to us. I lived in Belgium for four years. I miss three things about Belgium ... frites, "real" waffles and croques monsier. When I saw croques monsier on the menu, I knew we had to try it!

DH'S 40th BIRTHDAY
Being away for such a milestone birthday, I want to make it "extra" special for DH. As previously mentioned, I have two ADRs booked for his birthday (Crystal Palace and Tutto Italia). I know the CMs will treat DH extra special. We plan to tour MK on his birthday morning. He is probably going to get the Birthday Fastpass as his "gift". I'm curious to see how that is going to work. Looking at the crowd predictor, we may need it. 8's all week, :scared1: Yikes! We looked at all the parks and their FP offerings and figured MK would give us the most bang for our buck using the special FP. Also, there's no place like the Magic Kingdom.

We are relaxing at the resort the night before his birthday. We are staying in a one-bedroom Villa at SSR with a FULL kitchen. So, I plan to make DH's birthday cake that night and put in the fridge for the next day. His favorite is yellow cake with chocolate icing. Usually, I can't find one already made in the bakery. They have either white or chocolate cake. So, he has gotten use to me making his annual cake. Even though we will be at WDW, I will continue the tradition. I love the convenience of the full kitchen and in-room washer and dryer. Once you stay in a DVC Villa, you will be spoiled for a "regular" room.

I already bought some "Happy Birthday" signs and will get some balloons to decorate the room. I know I can have Disney to do it. But, I know the kids will have fun decorating for their Daddy. I'll probably put a request in upon check-in for a birthday card from Mickey to be delivered on his birthday too. SSR is pretty good at that sort of thing. DS3 was sick during our stay in December and they sent a card from Pluto (one of his favorites) to help cheer him up.

I am working on a t-shirt for DH to wear on his birthday. Right now I have the wording ...

It's my 40th birthday and all I got was this t-shirt ...

and a trip to Walt Disney World!
June 25, 2009

I'm trying to find a graphic to put in between the phrases.

DH will be pleasantly surprised in the birthday presents department. We are booked for the DIS Adventures by Disney California Backstage Tour next April. We went to DLR this past March for the first time and had a blast. However, I want to go back and experience it with ABD and just DH (NO KIDS!!!!). This will be our first trip without the kids. I can't wait! DH was born and raised in Texas (Dallas area). So, his other present is a paver to be place in the Legacy Plaza outside the new Dallas Cowboys Stadium. I got notification the other day of the paver's location. They sent me a brick/paver engraved with the wording on the actual paver. I plan to wrap it and present to DH on his birthday. The box will be so heavy, he'll probably joke and ask if there's a brick in there. Little does he know, there is! :lmao:

It reads:
#1 Cowboys fan
UR #1 in my heart!
Happy Bday Bill

I plan to buy DH and DS9 tickets to a game this season. So, he can locate the paver.

HALL OF PRESIDENTS AP PREVIEW

I just found out about the Passholder Preview of the refurbished Hall of Presidents on June 28, 2009. We plan to depart WDW that day. However, I may change plans a bit and leave later in the day. So, we can make the preview. We have never timed it right to be at WDW to take advantage of an AP preview.

From the Annual Passholder website:

Be among the first to see the Hall of Presidents attraction before the official re-opening July 4th weekend! Open to all Passholders, this preview includes the Animatronics® figure of our 44th President, Barack Obama. And his predecessors will look more amazing than ever in a re-imagining of this inspiring, unforgettable attraction.

Preview Event Details

Date: June 28, 2009
Time: 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Passholders do not need to sign up to attend the preview, but they do need to show a valid Pass and Photo ID at the Hall of Presidents attraction entrance.
Seasonal and Epcot After 4 Passholders will need valid admission to the Magic Kingdom theme park in order to attend.
Additional Information

The preview is subject to temporary closures. Thank you in advance for your patience.

:cool1: I pulled out our "Disney luggage". One step closer to being at WDW. This has made our DISdog a little skiddish. He knows when those bags come out, soon he's off to the border. We bought a really great set of luggage off disneyshopping.com a few years ago. It is red with Mickey-head designs on the top of it. Just pulling it out gets me in the Disney spirit. :wizard:

I was grocery shopping the other day and picked up a box of Pocky sticks (chocolate dipped thinly shaped biscuits). A lot of people like to get them at the Japan Pavilion in World Showcase at Epcot. The kids and I love to snack on them occasionally. Having a little taste of Disney at home is nice at times.

PACKING FOR WDW

:rolleyes1 As the clock ticks away, I am still hours and hours away from hopping into the minivan. But, the packing has begun. Packing is a BIG ordeal for me. I pack for the whole family. That way nothing is left behind thinking someone else packed it. I have a few items already in the suitcases. The usual bathing suits and our mathing t-shirts always make it in first. I've sneaked in some birthday decorations for DH's BIG day. We have a door magnet and Disney characters banner from when we got DD6 the Birthday Celebration package on our Disney cruise last September. They will be perfect in the room.

I don't have a physical checklist for packing, I probably should. I just pack the clothes in sections for each day. We will be in a one-bedroom Villa at SSR. Having a washer and dryer in the room, helps me pack less too. However, I do still pack at least one outfit for each day and assume, with the heat, we'll be changing our clothing in the evenings. So, with a few washes, it will all even out.

THE WEATHER

I have seen post after post of people returning home from WDW complaining/commenting on the heat and humidity at WDW right now. We have never been to WDW this time of year. Am I going to come back saying "What were we thinking going to Florida in June?!?!?!?!" I know we have to prepare for the worst. I always check the weather forecast before our trips. It helps in packing and maybe rearranging our itinerary if needed.

Here's the weather forecast for our WDW trip:
(information obtained from The Weather Channel's website)

WeatherForecast.jpg

As you can see, there are scattered/isolated thunderstorms predicited the whole week of our trip. We are NOT "poncho people". I bought some for our last September trip (rain predicited). They were NOT comfortable. I felt like I was being choked and they keep all your body heat inside the poncho. So, we were burning up. We finally tore them off and enjoyed the rain. We're not going to melt. Our kids love playing in the rain. Once the rain let up, the humidity dried us in no time. However, I might plan on bringing extra dry socks next time.

Child + Rain = lots of puddles to jump in!

:headache: I've modified our itinerary once again. We are NOT staying for the weekend. :guilty: We need to get back. With the heat and humidity being experienced at WDW right now, it might be a wise thing too. Sadly, we will miss the Hall of Presidents AP Preview on Sunday. I'm kind of bummed by that. Now, we'll just have to wait until November. :rolleyes1

:cool1: Soon this Pre-Trip Report will turn into an actual Trip Report. Hopefully all you "lurkers" will come out and say "Hi!" ;)

:goodvibes Jennifer

TODAY'S GOALS

Since we leave for WDW bright and early tomorrow morning (We'll arrive on Sunday around 1 PM). I have a checklist for today...

To Do List: (Updated)
:thumbsup2 Bring DISdog to the boarder
:thumbsup2 Get car serviced
:thumbsup2 Quick trip to Target (last minute items)
:thumbsup2 Charge the kid's gaming systems (2 DSs 1 Gameboy, 1 Zune and a partridge in a pear tree.)
:thumbsup2 Finish Laundry
:thumbsup2 Finish Packing
:thumbsup2 Stop Mail
:thumbsup2 Police Vacation Patrol
:thumbsup2 Make DH birthday shirt.

I'm out the door on my way to make a dent to this list ...

:woohoo: I am happy to say, we are ready for WDW! I'll be back in a week to turn this Pre-Trip Report into a Trip Report.

Keep posted ...

:surfweb: Jennifer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter