Looking to buy resale

cooks

:)
Hello all just returned from our holiday. Went to the DVC open house and I think it may be the way to go from now on. They offered me some "deals" that were only there for 72 hours...and after them I wouldn’t be able to use them. Well after coming home on Wednesday I decided to check the resale market and I could save so much £. Well after coming home I decided to look at the resale market even after our Disney salesman said " I wouldn’t bother buying resale you don’t get the same perks". These “perks” don’t seem good value anyway :/ so I’m fine with that. I’ve been looking at okw as I’m not fussed about having 40 odd years of vacation. The shorter the contract the better :). Just been looking at getting 150 points as that enough to get 13-14 nights in September which is when we like to go :). Oh and you can still use resale at any dvc resort (just checking)? My question is what would be a good price to pay for resale price per point for OKW. I’ve seen a contract I like the look off although the 2011 points have been used. That does not bother me as 2012 points come in at august. Any help or advice would be great and how much I should be paying per point :) as we all love a bargain ;)

You should take a look at this thread; should give you a good idea what is being paid resale :thumbsup2

You can use resale to book any DVC resort but you can not use it for cruises, adventures by Disney or for trading with other timeshare deals. If these are not important to you nor closing your contract quickly then shop around resale you will be able to find a good deal I'm sure.

We've always bought direct personally because we always want specific use year and when we added on this month we wanted to put back points we'd borrowed into this year and only Disney can do that for you when you buy direct. Either way you won't regret your decision it's the best purchase we ever made :)

You can use resale to book any DVC resort but you can not use it for cruises, adventures by Disney or for trading with other timeshare deals. If these are not important to you nor closing your contract quickly then shop around resale you will be able to find a good deal I'm sure.

We've always bought direct personally because we always want specific use year and when we added on this month we wanted to put back points we'd borrowed into this year and only Disney can do that for you when you buy direct. Either way you won't regret your decision it's the best purchase we ever made :)

Wow i never realised you cound not use resale DVC membership for the Disney cruises. That kinda scuppers my though of buying a resale :(

Wow i never realised you cound not use resale DVC membership for the Disney cruises. That kinda scuppers my though of buying a resale :(

Honestly 99% of the time you are better off renting points and paying cash for DCL. The points cost are really high and a $95 fee for booking and there is not as much availability as there used to be for points bookings - DCL don't need to take the points bookings any more as they have plenty of demand since the new ships started booking.

We will buy resale when we add on as the cost savings themselves could easily pay for a cruise or 2!

Honestly 99% of the time you are better off renting points and paying cash for DCL. The points cost are really high and a $95 fee for booking and there is not as much availability as there used to be for points bookings - DCL don't need to take the points bookings any more as they have plenty of demand since the new ships started booking.

We will buy resale when we add on as the cost savings themselves could easily pay for a cruise or 2!

That's spot on, it's really not a great value to use your points for cruising (especially if you've had to pay direct prices for them). You would be better off either renting points, or if cruising is a regular thing for you perhaps just buying a smaller contract.

Hello all

I'm new to the forum so apologies if I'm not posting in the right place or just repeating stuff that's readily accessible elsewhere.

Anyway I'm very interested in buying some resale points. I have spec'd out the idea of joining the DVC & it is something that will be worthwhile for me & my family so the next step is to set about the best method of buying points & any necessary due dilligence...

I wasn't even aware you could buy resale points until a random fellow passenger mentioned it to me in an airport queue a week or so ago. So I checked out dvcresale.com & it does appear there are massive savings to be made vs purchasing from disney directly - it's not really an issue that i wouldn't be getting points for the full 50 years & the limitations on buying resales vs new don't appear particularly restrictive (I'm not really bothered about cruises or trading in points for other hotels, etc I just want to be able to take the family to Disney as much as possible, hopefully each year). At the moment I'm contemplating buying 200 points at the Animal Kingdom

However, I'm not yet confident enough to proceed as I still feel I'm at the beginner stages knowledge wise & would be extremely grateful if anyone could assist with the following questions along with any other snippets of advice:

1) Exactly what are the disadvantages of purchasing resales vs new (hidden or otherwise -eg are you in anyway predjudiced by Disney when making bookings

2) What are the best resale agents to use & how can one be sure they are legitimate - I've only really so far looked at DVCresale.com & they look above board but how do you really go about making sure before parting with your cash that you aren't being ripped off?

3) How does the bidding process work?

4) What's the likely turnaround time from putting in your bid to having your points available to being able to book your vacation (I'm potentially looking to start bidding on points in around 4 weeks time with a view to booking a holiday this October?

5) What's the cost of the dining plan to a DVC member?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

1) Exactly what are the disadvantages of purchasing resales vs new (hidden or otherwise -eg are you in anyway predjudiced by Disney when making bookings

2) What are the best resale agents to use & how can one be sure they are legitimate - I've only really so far looked at DVCresale.com & they look above board but how do you really go about making sure before parting with your cash that you aren't being ripped off?

3) How does the bidding process work?

4) What's the likely turnaround time from putting in your bid to having your points available to being able to book your vacation (I'm potentially looking to start bidding on points in around 4 weeks time with a view to booking a holiday this October?

5) What's the cost of the dining plan to a DVC member?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Firstly have a look at the stickies on the Purchasing DVC forum for a good outline also DVC News had a good guide for beginners.

The only difference between direct and resale is the restrictions on use of points.

There are 4 main agents: Timeshare Store, DVCbyresale, Fidelity and one that is not allowed to be named on these boards by google DVC resale and you will find them.

Once you find a contract you like you contact the broker and make an offer. Everything is negotiable - price per point, maintenance fees and who pays closing costs.

Time scales average 8-10 weeks from offer to being in Disney system. If you are looking to travel this October you will be very limited in choice as we are already in the 7 month window.

Thank you very much for your help - I am becoming increasingly mindful of the lead time vs getting something booked for October......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter