Looking for suggestions for family of 5

ajspring00

Earning My Ears
We are trying to plan a Disney Trip June 3-8, 2013. Our last trip was in June 2010 and it was offsite. We have never stayed onsite before. Looking for suggestions on a resort for a family of 5. Three adults and two children ages 9 and 11.. both girls. Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!!!

The least expensive option would be POR but I am not sure how the beds would be shared. It has 2 queen beds and a very small pull down Murphy bed (about the size of a crib mattress). I would think one of the deluxes that sleeps 5 would work as they have a twin sized day bed and 2 queens. Also, fort wilderness cabins with bunk beds, a full size bed, and a full size Murphy bed. And then the family suites at either music or AoA. Do you spend more time at one parkocer the other? Do you need separate bedrooms? Need more than one bathroom?

It will be DH, myself, DD21, DD11 and DD9 so, we would not necessarily need separate bedrooms. Park wise, we were planning one day at each park. We have only been one other time for two days. (one at MK and the other at AK in the am and Epcot in the pm) We would not have to have more than one bathroom.

DD21 lives in FL and may not join us for the whole visit depending on her work situation. not sure yet. Would it be difficult to change a reservation if she cannot come??

2 value rooms may be your best bet if you can get adjoining - you get 4 real beds and 2 bathrooms.

I don't think it woukd be difficult to change the reservation but I don't know all the rules, especially if it's a package. I would consider either a stay at beach club (if you all are into pools, it's the best on property) which gives you access to the boardwalk area and easier access to Epcot and DHS or one of the monotail resorts (which ever theme you prefer). Another option is the swan and dolphin. I believe they have rooms that hold 5 (deluxe alcove rooms) and often offer good discounts (teachers, nurses, government employees). They are not owned by WDW but are boardwalk area resorts and have most of the WDW amenities (no magical express, package delivery, or dining plan but access to EMH and WDW transportation).

Thanks for the suggestions.. We were looking at the Beach Club.. also may check into the Swan and Dolphin.. I am a Government employee so that may be an idea. We are more than likely driving so we wont need ME and were leaning against NOT getting the DP anyway. Thanks so much!

Just called and the Dolphin is completely booked for our whole stay and the Swan just has rooms for 4 :(

Any of the deluxe resorts (with the exception of WL and AKL) accommodate 5 in a standard room. Our favorite resort is the Poly. The rooms are large and spacious and all rooms come with a daybed. Being on the monorail is great as the MK is the second stop from the Poly and you can walk to the TTC to catch the Epcot monorail. The tropical atmosphere is beautiful, the volcano pool is great and it backs up to the beach with a view of the castle in the distance, and the beach is a great place to watch the fireworks.

We are also a family of 5 with 3 boys, ages 13,11, and 8. We have stayed at POR the past two trips and used the trundle bed (which has been changed to the murphy beds now. We also considered the Family Suites in ASM the Mrs and I would have a separate room, plus two bathrooms. I am sure your girls would fit on the sofabed and the 21 year old would be fine on the twin pullout.

In November we are heading back, but decided on Poly for the larger room, day bed, monorail, beach, location, etc. If you can swing it and like the theme of the place the rooms are being remodeled as we speak in sections and by June you might be able ot get a brand spankin newly renovated room.

Let us know what you decide!

I was really leaning towards POR but, after having DH sit down with me, he felt the girls would enjoy Pop or AOA more than POR. Not sure the oldest will be going so it may just be 4 of us. I am NOT a decision maker.. Having a very hard time deciding. I know we will just be in the rooms to sleep but, have read that the beds at Pop are very uncomfortable. And while I would prefer a queen size bed, not sure it would be worth the extra expense. The girls favorite all time movie is Lion King but, I think they would enjoy the Little Mermaid as well.. Any thoughts??

if it is any concern, also keep in mind that the Value resorts have a tendency to be louder than the moderate or deluxe resorts. I have not stayed in one yet, but I have more than one friend who has and both complained of the people outside their room or in adjoining rooms being loud. Obviously this could happen at any resort, but maybe the outside doors combined with higher kid:adult ratio tends to make them louder.

I don't have girls, so it may be more of a thing for daughters vs sons, but mine don't seem to care much about the room themes. They care about the pool and they care about whether they have food they like. :)

We have stayed at POR several times and really enjoyed it. Great theme, good pool, etc. Stayed at Poly last trip and loved it but are trying Yacht Club this time. Beach or Yacht Club would be an option if you like to swim since they share a great pool. They are more expensive than POR but less than Poly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter