Looking for opinions about Ireland

mrudman

DIS Veteran
Just curious what people would say here...

I'm saving up to treat my mom to an Ireland vacation within the next couple years (it has always been on both of our bucket lists - have never been).

Been looking at an all inclusive type, which is 9 days. Would be visiting about 8 cities I think it was, and traveling by motor coach between them. This option would cost about $8,000 for both of us. Would still need to buy the occasional meals that wouldn't be included.

Or there's an 8-day cruise that visits 7 ports/cities (all in Ireland) and 1 day at sea. This option would cost approx. $6-6,500 for both of us. All meals included, but the excursions would cost extra (although there's deals out there that I could get 4 excursions paid for)

If you were to go to Ireland for the first time (and probably only time), which way would you choose?

Thanks for any input!

Driving. Ireland is beautiful and I think you'd miss out on seeing a lot of the countryside by being on ship the whole time. Even though you'd get excursions, it isn't the same. Plus with driving you'll have more opportunities to eat local places.

waves hi, Im from Ireland, I live in Dublin and have travelled to many parts of the country. Driving is by far the best way to see my country. The island is approx the size of the state of Indiana and all 4 areas, north south, east and west are very different. My country is like a living museum, you are literally walking down streets, driving through areas, seeing things which are hundreds and sometimes thousands of years old.

Also we really only have 4 cities, Dublin the capital of The Republic of Ireland, in the east of the island, Cork in the south of the island, Galway in the west of the island and Belfast in Northern Ireland. The most urban areas are Dublin and Belfast and outside of them the country is rural agricultural land with small towns and villages. Farming both crops and animals are the main industries outside of the 4 main cities.

Also you should look at DIY/ either hiring a car or using our trains and bus system.

"Also you should look at DIY/ either hiring a car"

A big yes to this great idea! My family and I did this back in 1992 and 1994, pre Internet. My mom got a huge in-country map of Ireland; through Air Lingus she was matched up with a list of participating B & Bs, and she mapped out both of our 12 day trips herself, a woman in her 60s who had never traveled out of the U.S. The first time we went counter-clockwise around the island, and the second time we went clock-wise. We picked up two new siblings for the second trip and lost one of the sibs from the first trip, so we did repeat a few note worthy places. Otherwise, we stayed in different little towns and villages, did sight-seeing like the Birren, the Cliffs, Bunratty Castle, the Ring of Kerry, Dingle Peninsula, the Slieve Teague mountains, the Giant Causeway, Blarney Castle, the Aran Islands, toured three of the four main cities (Belfast was still the scene of a lot of violence back then so we avoided it other than an emergency appointment to a very nice dentist), hunted through old cemeteries looking for old ancestors, ate pub food every evening when we landed in a new town/B and B for the evening.

On our first trip, my brother did all the driving. On the second trip, he did not come along, so myself and two of my sisters were designated drivers. None of us liked it so we alternated every third day. Lucky me drew the slot for Connor Pass down in the South west mountains! Driving on the 'wrong side" of the road (and the steering wheel on the "wrong side", too) was daunting. I lost a hubcap as we were returning the rental car at the airport--scraping the left front side on the curb. Darn! Almost made it back without a visible mishap! :-)

Ireland is a gorgeous country full of friendly, wonderful people. It will make you want to go back again--and soon!

My last trip was in 1998. My brother did honeymoon there in 2000, as well. In the years after, we have been busy raising children and have not ventured that far again. Some day, though!

Last edited:

Renting a car and driving is the best option. You can use some Ireland travel sites to help determine your route and book your hotel or bed and breakfast along your route.

Thanks for all the input everyone! So it looks as if land-based would definitely be the way to go. I don't think I'd be brave enough to try to plan it and drive it on my own though.. I'll keep researching and see.

I lived in Cork, Ireland for 6 months during college and did as much traveling as a broke college kid could. The bus system is really good and affordable (or at least it was in 2007) if you are uncomfortable with driving. I did lots of walking too. Dublin is huge and so is Belfast but Cork and Galway are very walkable. Don't miss Belfast, the Aran Islands, Ring of Kerry or Dingle. Obviously I am partial to Cork since I lived there but it is beautiful and has such great character.

Definitely rent a car or hire a driver. We actually just got back from Ireland last Sunday. We stayed at an AirBnb and did day trips, it was perfect and cost way less than the prices you are looking at!

Ireland is all about the adventure you find around the corner. If you are on a tour bus then you'll only be able to see the most touristy areas. You'll miss out on the hidden gems!

My parents went to Ireland on a Trafalgar tour a while back and really enjoyed it. But they are planning on renting a car for their next trip. If you are a Costco member I know they offer discounts on Trafalgar and Adventures by Disney.

That's exciting! Ireland is amazing. My preference when travelling is to see as much as I can, as well as I can. 8 Cities in 9 days would kill me. I'd recommend focusing on one or two cities and seeing everything you want to there. Take your time. It's like Disney World, you can't see it all in one trip, just decide what's important and do that. You can go back.

If you get away from the tour and the cruise I think the price will go down a lot...if that's important. B&Bs are quite reasonable, and there are books you can get that show all the listings in each city.

Dublin is a great place to start, there is so much to see. If you like books, do not skip the library at Trinity College and the Book of Kells. It was a religious experience for me.

If you are wanting to go cross country I found the driving to be easy enough, bad part was I was concentrating so much on sticking to the left that I didn't get to focus on the scenery. A coach ride would be good too!

Keep in mind that every wonderful thing you've ever heard about Ireland is true. It's magical.

Looke at travel websites like CIE Tours. http://www.cietours.com/us/Independent-Introduction.aspx
CIE helps book an independent driving tour. They even show on their website the routes, etc.

So there are two ways to look at it.

1) My family doesn't like "group tours" because you are stuck on someone else's schedule and time. You can't leave a location early or stay later depending on your mood. You also have to interact with other tourist in your group. Pretty much, there is no room for impromptu changes to your schedule.

2) However, if the idea of a a tour bus, tour guide, and everything pre-planned, and interacting with other tourist is appealing, then that may be the way to go for you. Some people prefer the tour groups and the social interaction it provides.

I adore Ireland. Belfast is probably my favorite city. I would definitely do the bus tour or hire a car yourself.

And don't miss the Giants Causeway & the Bushmills Distillery.

We had an airbnb in Dublin for 4 nights, and used that for a base to do some other exploring (day trip to Newgrange, day trip to Belfast/Giants causeway). Then we took a small group tour (10 people) around the south and west coasts). I did not want to drive ourselves, as we were 6 people and would need a large vehicle. It was a great intro to the country and we saw a lot. I think if we go back we might just stay in Galway and explore around from there.

Since you have a couple of years to plan, I’d research on my own. There are so many amazing private tour guides out there, which will give you a much bettter experience for cheaper.

Again, thanks so much for all the input!

I think I'm leaning toward a coach tour right now.. I like the idea of getting info/history for what we're seeing, which we wouldn't get if we were alone. And we do like interacting with other people.

The only downside to that is like some of you mentioned, you can't just head out on your own. But with this being our first trip there, I don't think that will matter much.

I'd just make sure to pick a trip that does visit the sites I know my mom would want to see.

I'm so excited to start planning this!

Again, thanks so much for all the input!

I think I'm leaning toward a coach tour right now.. I like the idea of getting info/history for what we're seeing, which we wouldn't get if we were alone. And we do like interacting with other people.

The only downside to that is like some of you mentioned, you can't just head out on your own. But with this being our first trip there, I don't think that will matter much.

I'd just make sure to pick a trip that does visit the sites I know my mom would want to see.

I'm so excited to start planning this!

We are planning our first trip to Ireland either August 2019 or August 2020! We also decided the tour is the way to go for us. We aren't comfortable going out on our own and want all of the help a tour can give.

I suggest looking at www.myirelandtour.com I believe we are going with them. Their tours seems really good and they seem to include a lot more meals than the other tours I have looked at. They also have smaller groups.

I have called and emailed them with a few questions and they seem great.

We are planning our first trip to Ireland either August 2019 or August 2020! We also decided the tour is the way to go for us. We aren't comfortable going out on our own and want all of the help a tour can give.

I suggest looking at www.myirelandtour.com I believe we are going with them. Their tours seems really good and they seem to include a lot more meals than the other tours I have looked at. They also have smaller groups.

I have called and emailed them with a few questions and they seem great.

Those tours do look nice! Which one are you thinking of doing? I'd love to do the combo north and south one, but not sure I could get 19 days off work (travel days included),

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter