Looking for Like-minded friends (crossposted from DisAbilities forum)

BethCPTSD

Mouseketeer
Hi!
I usually post on the disAbilities forum and there are some great people over there. But I recently found out about this board, and thought this recent post of mine might work a little better over on this board. I hope you don't mind me posting or find me too forward. This is what I posted a couple of days ago, and I'd love to hear from any of you that might want to share your experience or support. I hope I can offer support to others as well! Thank you so much for your consideration.

Best, Beth

PS if you want any other background on me, I've included it in a lot of my recent posts on DisAbilities <3

Hi everyone.
I've recently returned to the boards after a long absence, though I initially joined back in March of 2016. My primary disabilities are related to serious mental illness (specifics in my profile if you want) and I come back here looking really for a place to talk to others who may relate to my experiences and to help my severe loneliness. I've had a little bit of a bumpy start back on the boards, but I don't want to give up.

I would never say anyone would have to have the same type of disabilities as I do to share similar feelings or experiences. I mostly just feel incredibly lonely and ostracized from society based on the nature of my disabilities and my experiences in the world. I also use a service dog (as some of you may know) and while I need him to function (I love him and he's my lifeline) that too creates drama sometimes in the world where it may not be accepted or people may not be welcoming.

Do other people experience any of these types of feelings in your lives based on your disabilities? Even if not, how DO you feel? What is your experience? I find people usually don't understand without knowing my life story and either trivialize my illnesses or (if they are more aware of the details) they express that I should be locked up somewhere or never leave the house. I can't win. I really just need people to talk to, discuss things (including fun or funny stuff!) and who won't judge me.

I hope it's okay to post something like this here. I've met a lot of really kind, interesting, fun people here through the years and I'm looking for a place to be. I adore going to Disney because it's really the only place I feel is somewhat safe for me. It was the only safe place I had growing up too (I went a lot by myself as a teen) and that hasn't changed! Anyway, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!
Beth

Hi Beth. To me disability is often isolating so even though the nature of what causes the feeling of "otherness" may be very different, in the end I think lots of people end up in this space to varying degrees. The way I see it we all just sort of swim in and out of sync with other humans as we drift through life and that's ok & to be expected to me. I can try to explain myself but really it's tough for me to do and tough for others to follow so really all anyone can do is their best on both sides. So wonderful that you have a service dog to help you through.

Hi Beth. To me disability is often isolating so even though the nature of what causes the feeling of "otherness" may be very different, in the end I think lots of people end up in this space to varying degrees. The way I see it we all just sort of swim in and out of sync with other humans as we drift through life and that's ok & to be expected to me. I can try to explain myself but really it's tough for me to do and tough for others to follow so really all anyone can do is their best on both sides. So wonderful that you have a service dog to help you through.
Thank you so much, LuvOrlando! (I love Orlando too!) Thank you for sharing your perspective!

Take care!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter