Looking for a hotel on the beach in FL

mommy2allyandaveri

DIS Veteran
Pretty much anywhere. Looking for a nice, clean beach/area.

We are really unfamiliar with the areas and I feel a little overwhelmed. Napes, Amelia Island and San Marcos have been suggested. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

Check out Anna Maria Island, the St. Pete Beach area or the Clearwater beach area.

I would definitely encourage you to stay on the west side (gulf coast) vs the east side (Atlantic coast). The Atlantic beaches are smaller and rougher and you're facing east so you miss out on the sunsets.

The gulf coast beaches are some of the best in the US. They have powdered sugar sand and gorgeous sunsets. Anywhere from Clearwater to St. Pete Beach is good and there's tons of lodging options of all kinds and prices as well as restaurants, activities, etc. The Opal Sands in Clearwater is amazing, but a splurge. The Doubletree at North Reddington Beach has amazing balconies right over the beach and further down the Thunderbird is kitschy, old-school fun.

I've found the beaches further south (Siesta Key, Venice Beach, Ft. Myers, Naples, Marco Island) to be a little more challenging to enjoy just because is less available directly beachside. Siesta Key is the most incredible beach, but lined by privately owned condos, same with Venice Beach. Naples has an amazing downtown, but you'll have to take a shuttle to the beach from almost all of the hotels. Marco Island pretty much has the very expensive Hilton on the beach, or the super duper expensive JW Marriott on the beach.

Hope you have a great time!

Last edited:

So many great suggestions, thank you!

I would definitely encourage you to stay on the west side (gulf coast) vs the east side (Atlantic coast). The Atlantic beaches are smaller and rougher and you're facing east so you miss out on the sunsets.

The gulf coast beaches are some of the best in the US. They have powdered sugar sand and gorgeous sunsets. Anywhere from Clearwater to St. Pete Beach is good and there's tons of lodging options of all kinds and prices as well as restaurants, activities, etc. The Opal Sands in Clearwater is amazing, but a splurge. The Doubletree at North Reddington Beach has amazing balconies right over the beach and further down the Thunderbird is kitschy, old-school fun.

I've found the beaches further south (Siesta Key, Venice Beach, Ft. Myers, Naples, Marco Island) to be a little more challenging to enjoy just because is less available directly beachside. Siesta Key is the most incredible beach, but lined by privately owned condos, same with Venice Beach. Naples has an amazing downtown, but you'll have to take a shuttle to the beach from almost all of the hotels. Marco Island pretty much has the very expensive Hilton on the beach, or the super duper expensive JW Marriott on the beach.

Hope you have a great time!

Pretty much anywhere. Looking for a nice, clean beach/area.

We are really unfamiliar with the areas and I feel a little overwhelmed. Napes, Amelia Island and San Marcos have been suggested. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?
Did you mean Marco Island or San Marco (nearer to Jacksonville)? There are three main hotels on the beach, the Hilton that just underwent a complete renovation (they had a fire and the sprinklers went off about two years ago), JW Marriott (really upscale, newly renovated into the JWM from a standard Marriott) and Marco Beach Ocean Resort (a smaller boutique hotel and condo with an excellent restaurant- Sale e Pepe). There are a few timeshares that offer rentals - Charter Club of Marco Beach, Eagles Nest, Club Regency, Surf Club. Lots of condos on the beach as well that you can rent through VRBO. The beach is wide and long, lots of shells. Vendors offer beach chair and umbrella rentals by the day and week. Some vendors also offer parasailing, boat trips to the Ten Thousand Islands. We started going to Marco Island about twelve years ago and moved there three years ago. Busy season is Thanksgiving through Easter. The rest of the year the town pretty much rolls up the sidewalks around 9PM. There was one movie theater in town, but it hasn't reopened yet and may be closed permanently.

I think I'm referring to Marco Island. There are so many beaches and hotels it so hard to pick! Hoping to find a nice resort in the 250/350 range on the beach.

I'll look into all of these options.

I struggle with VRBO. They have good rates but then they add in a ton of admin and cleaning fees.

I think I'm referring to Marco Island. There are so many beaches and hotels it so hard to pick! Hoping to find a nice resort in the 250/350 range on the beach.

I'll look into all of these options.

I struggle with VRBO. They have good rates but then they add in a ton of admin and cleaning fees.
Before we moved here and before we bought into Charter Club of Marco Beach (which we have since sold), we did book a stay through VRBO in the Somerset condo complex.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter