Looking at a 3 night, 2 day stay at Universal after Disney, best time to book?

Typeo

Earning My Ears
Hi,

This will be my Family's first time at Disney and decided to take on a Universal trip due to my wife's and sons obsession with Harry Potter before we fly out. I am still trying to figure all the Disney stuff out and have not even started on Universal. Our stay is in early June, how much in advance do we need to book at Universal and are their on-site hotels worth the extra cost?

I have been looking at staying at the Swan for the Disney trip. Would it be worthwhile to continue to stay there for the additional nights we are planning on going to universal and just UBERing? With Disney, STD rooms are already getting booked up (missed out on the last STD CBR room yesterday) and was wondering if I should be worried this far out for Universal?

Basically, I am just stressing trying to get this all sorted out to make sure I am not missing anything to keep the actual trip at a reasonable price and still go nice and smoothly while there.

Thanks!

When you book room only at Universal, they charge you a one night room charge. You get that back if you change your mind, or can’t go, up until 5 days before check in. Plus, if you see a better price, book it, and cancel the other. You can always call too, and they may be able to put that lower rate on your reservation.

Room availability is always subject to not available. Keep checking, as sometimes rooms open up.

I book as soon as I am generally sure that is when I am coming. As it gets closer, prices can rise. I have booked a year out.

For your short time, I’d stay at one of the three that give you the express pass if you can afford it. The express pass is good from the time you check in, until the close of parks the day you checkout. While Disney and Universal are about 30 or so minutes drive from each other, though traffic can make that much longer. If that’s not in your budget, many have travelled from off sites. Just make sure you are there before park open, and get dropped off at the Hard Rock. Closest walk or boat to the parks. You only go through security at the end of the walk or before you get on the boat. Those lines are much shorter and much less walking and hassle then if you get dropped off at CityWalk.

You do not say when you are thinking of going. If at a busy time, even a one night at one of the three that give you the express pass will give you express for 2 days. You can check in as early as around 6 am, and with a room for you for the night, may want to go back and freshen up, change clothes, and or use the pool.

Anyway, I hope you will enjoy all the parks.

Cabana Bay Family Suite for good value or Hard Rock Resort to splurge.
All resort guests are eligible for early entry at one theme park.
The express pass are wonderful advantage if you book a deluxe.
I think it has 2 different choices if you just purchase w/ tickets One is unlimited and the other is one time only for express. I like to experience the early morn daylight and evening lighting. But June hours might not even be dark yet. So the cheaper one express entry would be good.
If you plan to take advice to Uber from WDW and get dropped off at Hard Rock... consider getting there early enough for their breakfast at The Kitchen so good & reasonable price. Then walk out towards sidewalk or boat for the resorts.
The other absolute really good place to eat & is kinda new TODAY located just as you enter & near the new Bourne Stunt Spectacular... do not miss this spectacular show!
Of course there is 3 Broomsticks for dining too. If you have AAA many locations will have a discount for dining, I think.
But Hagrids Motorcycle is worth waiting in line for and everybody will be. In your way, unfortunately.
You will be surprised how much fun your family will have.

The earlier you book the more choice you will have of resort and room type, but if you need to wait longer you'll be fine. My understanding is that early June is historically busy but not sold-out months in advance. As others have mentioned, you put down a one-night deposit when making a room-only reservation at Universal and it's fully refundable up to about 6 days before check-in. You can also call and rebook if you want to change or if rates drop.

Since you are first-timers combining with a Disney trip, I would recommend staying at the Hard Rock Hotel or Royal Pacific Resort for the included unlimited Express Passes (which is like having a Fastpass...but for EVERY ride 🤩) and easy walk to both parks. Portofino also includes the Express Passes but is farther from the parks so I would not recommend it for a first-timer. Universal's deluxe resorts are worth every penny to me for the unlimited front-of-the-line access alone, but they are also newer/nicer/better laid out than the mods/deluxes I've stayed at over at Disney. I would not recommend trying to Uber back and forth from the Swan both days, as it would probably add about an hour of travel time on either end once you take into account walking to the Uber pickup spot, waiting for your Uber, driving the half-hour or so between WDW and Universal, getting through Citywalk security, etc.

A couple nights at Universal is such a relaxing way to end a trip to Orlando especially compared with the ultra-planning that often comes with a WDW trips. No ADRs, no getting up at 6 am to book Fastpasses 60 days out, no bus schedule, no monorail breakdowns...just stay onsite, enjoy your early entry perk, ride whatever you like with express passes, and head back to the hotel midday when you want a break. With Harry Potter fans in the family I'm sure you'll have a blast!

Big thanks to everybody for the information. I was not aware of those more expensive hotels included the fast passes. The Universal site has a lot of deals and packages. I have tried to price them out individually vs a package, but there is so many selections and the packages add a lot I do not think I am getting the correct numbers.

To try and get the best deal (looking at the Royal Pacific Hotel), would it be best to call them up and would they be able to plug in the days/family members and be able to tell me what's the best deal to go with ATM?

Also, are any of the add-ons worth it like the picture package, food, etc.? I am assuming all pictures will be in masks like they do at Disney?

Thanks!

The Universal site is very confusing . I am trying to figure out if the reason is being so much more familiar with Disney or is Universal’s really that worse?
I have made reservations thru AAA and I think AX Platinum (not mine) .
I have googled and found the correct page to be on sometimes.
Are you Florida resident for example?

1. Pictures on rides will be in masks. Universal allows you to take masks off briefly for pics around the park, including pics w/ characters (they are socially distanced right now).

2. I would recommend getting a hotel nearby to Universal for that chunk of the trip. The deluxe hotels with Express Passes are fabulous if they're within your budget. Otherwise there are a few walkable offsite hotels that are very reasonably priced, and UO also has some budget hotels also which provide excellent, efficient direct shuttlebus transportation.

3. You may also consider looking at an Annual Pass rate at the hotels. An AP rate for a few nights can often save you more money than the cost to upgrade one ticket to an AP. The AP rates aren't out for June yet, but something to keep in mind as your dates get closer. It is easy and painless to rebook UO hotels for better prices since the reservations are refundable until a few days out.

Worth is subjective and relative. IMO, its most definitely worth staying at one of the three Universal premier resorts (Royal Pacific, Portofino Bay, Hard Rock). These three resorts are in the closest proximity to the parks making for easy walks or boat rides, in addition to the express passes. Early entry is also offered; however the EE perk is offered at all Universal resorts.

Clearly, there are other Universal resorts that are a cheaper price point, but those will not include express passes. When you consider the cost of the unlimited EPs if you were to purchase those separately, and subtract that from the rate of the premier resorts, the premier resorts are actually really well priced.

We always do a split stay between WDW and a Universal resort. In addition to the perks mentioned, each resort is just as nice and well-themed as any WDW resort. We've had great stays at all the ones we've tried, with Hard Rock being our favorite.

Its best to book room only and not a package as it gives you more flexible cancellation options. Generally speaking, the dining plan is not worth it in most cases. As far as deals, you should be able to see the availability on the web site. I'm not sure what the current promos are, but generally, the more nights you stay, the larger the per-night discount is.

Typeo,

The good news is that Universal is easy compared to Disney, once you realize that most things don't need to be planned (especially with EPs). Take a look at https://www.disboards.com/threads/how-i-plan-a-universal-trip.3794121/. Here are some key points:

- When you factor in the value of the EPs and the proximity to the parks, the Deluxe Resorts are usually a very good deal for parties of 3-5. For a short stay like yours, I highly recommend them
- Packages are usually not a good deal. Book the room separate from the tickets. Dining plans do not save much money, unless you are really careful what to use them on.
- Consider an Annual Pass, even for short trips. The APH rate often saves much more than the cost to upgrade tickets. You only need one to get the rate.
- Once you have your room booked, there really isn't too much more to plan. No need for reservations to eat, no need to plan rides if you have EPs (except for Hagrid's). Just show up and enjoy...

How long does their 4-day ticket deal normally last? Should I go ahead and pick those up? I was looking at extending our stay one more day (4 nights 3 day) since a 2-day ticket cost the same as the 4-day ATM and with the room discount for the extra day it's only a couple of hundred more for an additional day (all hotel cost).

The deal tickets have a clear use by date. As long as you are sure you will use them before that end date, you’re good. Otherwise, if that end date passes, you may be out of luck. And, check out the lowest level of AP, it’s almost the same price as a 4 day park ticket. While the lowest tiers of passes have blockout days, review them, as clearly on Passholder part of website. If you are not going during any of those blocked days, may want to pick up APs. Right now they are good for 15 months, free 3 months, when you buy in full. Hopefully you enjoy Universal enough you’d be back at the open times of those lower passes in the next 15 months from first use in the parks.

If I lived closer I would really take a close look at the APs, but were from Oklahoma, so it's either a flight or a multi day car ride to swing back down. Not sure if I should go ahead and grab at last one AP to get the better hotel discounts people have mentioned when they become available. Guess its kinda a gamble, pay more now in a hope to get more savings at a future date.

Thanks again for everybody's input, really appreciate it!

You don’t have to choose now- if the hotel discount becomes available just buy one AP on site- you’ll need to show them before check out but not to book. And the seasonal AP is only $7 more than a buy two get two ticket.

I am showing +$80 for the Annual Pass over the tickets. Maybe since I am not a resident, or you were looking at the multi park passes. Was planning on doing single park tickets. But I will keep that in mind.

Can I upgrade a 4-day single pass to an AP at anytime? Like could I go ahead and purchase our tickets (so I don't miss out on the 4-day deal) and if a decent AP rating comes available for the hotels down the road, I could upgrade at that time?

Can I upgrade a 4-day single pass to an AP at anytime? Like could I go ahead and purchase our tickets (so I don't miss out on the 4-day deal) and if a decent AP rating comes available for the hotels down the road, I could upgrade at that time?
Yes, you can upgrade them at any time (before they expire or before the end of your last park day). So you can buy them today, keep an eye out for a good AP hotel rate, and then just upgrade in the hotel lobby when you arrive. Or at the park, but it is quicker in the hotel lobby.

I’d make sure you could go park to park for Hogwarts if you have potterheads. We are a family of 5 and bought seasonal passes for all of us and I don’t think it was near an $80 upgrade. Made a huge difference for the room price, we stayed at HRH. The included EP was invaluable as we rode our favorites a dozen times and we only had 2nights, 3 days. I had compared the buy 2 get 2 days tix and I feel like it was more like $40 more per ticket? That was made up for in the room discount alone. AND it was our first tine at UO. We also got 15 month instead of 12 and even if just DH and I go one more weekend between now and March 2022 we will have come waaay ahead. Ours would be a 9 hour drive but I am always on the lookout for cheap flights and short weekend getaways

ETA - highly recommend the thread link above about how to plan a UO trip. It is very helpful!!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!