Longer trip - Coming a long way

Psymonds

Mouseketeer
We're west coast folk, Disneylanders by practice, looking out a year or two for a trip out to the "world". Probably our only trip before the older kids go to college.

Party of 5, kids will be ~14, 12, 6 depending on when we go.

Current Plan Rough order:
~3 days at UOR
~1 day at Busch Tampa because the 14YO loves coasters (assumes Iron Gwazi is actually open)
~6 days "in the bubble" at resorts

?? I have no need to do Sea World but the 14 YO will ask to ride the coasters (heck he'd do the fun spots if we'd take him)

Coming from the west coast so have to assume full day travel out (Direct flight from SFO lands at 3, probably check in, get groceries, dinner something else the first day but no parks) half day travel back (thanks time zones).

I doubt we'd be able to swing a Disney resort the full time (values can't take 5, etc) but we may do part. we don't need to do water parks, we have one 5 minutes from home.

I think we probably need 1-2 rest days (probably June) and I'm tempted to sell a 12 day trip for planning purposes. Am I crazy? Have I failed to plan for something the kids will want to do?

A trip like this in intense but depending on your family, is doable. We go hard at the parks, normally 9 days straight. We only do WDW but for us we like to spend as much time in the parks as possible. June will be hot and humid so those factors may play into your touring also.

What you have planned can be done but to me the biggest factor will be gauging how your family is handling the intense schedule and slowing it if needed, especially taking jetlag into consideration at the beginning of your trip.

I would definitely plan for some pool time/rest days. And consider renting DVC points if you want to stay on property. Sounds like a fun trip!

I would definitely plan for some pool time/rest days. And consider renting DVC points if you want to stay on property. Sounds like a fun trip!
yes, we're potentially looking at renting DVC to get something that sleeps 5. looks like that puts us in cheaper than AOA restort or other "suites" around property.

Have you possibly looked into 2 rooms at the All-Stars or Pop? I know this was often cheaper in the past than AoA but not sure about your specific dates. I just did a very quick comparison for 6 nights at an AoA suite and 6 nights at Pop and Pop is less money even booking 2 rooms.

There are many other bonuses to 2 rooms also in that you get 4 queen sized beds (as opposed to pullout couch) and, 2 bathrooms. Might be worth considering.

Have you possibly looked into 2 rooms at the All-Stars or Pop? I know this was often cheaper in the past than AoA but not sure about your specific dates. I just did a very quick comparison for 6 nights at an AoA suite and 6 nights at Pop and Pop is less money even booking 2 rooms.

There are many other bonuses to 2 rooms also in that you get 4 queen sized beds (as opposed to pullout couch) and, 2 bathrooms. Might be worth considering.

I haven't yet, I was looking at it and renting points at the poly was what looked best, but we would have the two queens and the fold down twin once I get a better sense of time and duration I'll run all the alternatives. AOA is tremendously expensive compared to what I think it provides, for the draft dates I had it was more expensive than any of the moderates and comprable with some deluxe.

since your youngest is small, consider the Moderate resorts that have a pull down bed--like Port Orleans. and yes, please allow for jetlag, and downtime. you will need to adjust to Florida heat and humidity. with all that you want to do, can you stretch trip to allow for free days?

I totally feel you! We also live on the west coast and go hard in the parks for a week +.... I definitely think it is doable. If you decide to do Busch Gardens, Seaworld has amazing combo tix for both parks (and Aquatica, but you definitely dont have to go)... Esp if your oldest is a coaster fan!

Also, start looking at car rentals now. Hopefully by next year the rental pool is grown and the cost comes down a bit!

Also, start looking at car rentals now. Hopefully by next year the rental pool is grown and the cost comes down a bit!
I'm fortunate to have a good cooperate rate for national. I don't usually have to worry about rates but I have gotten in the habit of booking a car as soon as I think about going somewhere. I got our standard rate in hawaii over summer when they were charging other folks $150 a day

I'm fortunate to have a good cooperate rate for national. I don't usually have to worry about rates but I have gotten in the habit of booking a car as soon as I think about going somewhere. I got our standard rate in hawaii over summer when they were charging other folks $150 a day
That is awesome!!

That sounds amazing, we took our older kids ds25 ds25, ds13 and ds10
We did something similar... we did 3 days universal, 3 days at sea world and 4 at Disney.
Our three days at seaworld was nice because they are chill days and seaworld doesnt tire you out like the other two (DW,UNI)
We did 1 at SeaWorld 1 at Aquatica and 1 at Busch gardens. SeaWorld parks are great for teens they have the best coasters at both parks.
SW gives you free transportation to Tampa from the seaworld parking lot. Buy the All day dining pass and you get unlimited drinks and food every hour, it quickly became my kids favorite thing to do.
Our universal days were one day we spent doing mostly Harry potter and a few other things the other two days were spent at islands and the main park. I think we could have done everything we wanted to do in the two days but it would have been tight. Next time we go I'm going to stay on property so we can use the Express pass.
Disney one park each day.
Sounds like you are going to be tired that's a lot of walking.
I personally would stay off site even though all the parking fees will kill you. We like Sheraton vistana because they have a washer dryer and a full kitchen .

SeaWorld parks are great for teens they have the best coasters at both parks.
DS12 (14ish by then) is quite the enthusiast.

our daughter is not a fan of the larger coasters but will do crazy flat rides, and the youngest is ambivalent. we'll see. we drag them to the six flags pretty regularly (Can't argue with a $40 annual pass) so we might change by then.

Sounds like you are going to be tired that's a lot of walking.
I'm sure this is the case. we do 20-30k steps a day for 3 days straight at dland. I suspect we will need to pace ourselves better than that, but we're also unlikely to encounter parks open 8-midnight consistently.

SW gives you free transportation to Tampa from the seaworld parking lot.
is this specific to park guests or just anyone with a BG Tampa ticket? since it's probably only myself and the oldest kid doing this, DW is hoping I can find my own way to Tampa and she can keep the car.

DS12 (14ish by then) is quite the enthusiast.

our daughter is not a fan of the larger coasters but will do crazy flat rides, and the youngest is ambivalent. we'll see. we drag them to the six flags pretty regularly (Can't argue with a $40 annual pass) so we might change by then.

I'm sure this is the case. we do 20-30k steps a day for 3 days straight at dland. I suspect we will need to pace ourselves better than that, but we're also unlikely to encounter parks open 8-midnight consistently.

is this specific to park guests or just anyone with a BG Tampa ticket? since it's probably only myself and the oldest kid doing this, DW is hoping I can find my own way to Tampa and she can keep the car.
Its anyone with a ticket, they meet in the seaworld parking lot

follow up.

what's the preferred order? In soCal we traditionally do "lesser" parks first because they're more disappointing if we do them second, but USH is substantially lesser than UOR. would you do them sequentially or mix in different parks? (our hotel approach may affect this)

since your youngest is small, consider the Moderate resorts that have a pull down bed--like Port Orleans. and yes, please allow for jetlag, and downtime. you will need to adjust to Florida heat and humidity. with all that you want to do, can you stretch trip to allow for free days?

We will look at moderates. We may split stay offsite/onsite to extend a day or two.

We are definitely going to have to adjust, since it's basically a full day trip out on most airlines. Very few direct flights , probably 12 hours door to door, so we will be arriving after dark on the first day.

follow up question.

how do you order your park attendance? I was thinking UOR then sea world/BGT then Disney. In our experience in SoCal we always finish with Disney because any other park is disappointing after. UOR is probably not as disappointing as USH i comparison. Would you work sequentially, allwing a split stay for hotels or would you stay in one hotel and mix all the park in a different order?

How about staying off-site for UOR and/or SeaWorld and staying on Disney Property for Disney parks ( and I so agree about saving it for last!). That way, it might be easier to take advantage of Disney's transportation for getting around to all four Disney parks. At any rate, have a wonderful trip! Just make sure everybody's wearing broken-in, well worn shoes and good sun hats, and drink lots and lots of water. Its amazing how much more energy you feel at DL than at WDW in June!!!

I would reverse that. Stay on-site Premier at USF and get the express passes (their rooms hold 5 and get express passes. Two night stay gets three days of express passes. Then move to a condo or house. Do Seaworld next then Disney. Only real advantage now in the future to onsite is the half-hour early entry, and you can equal that with one IA$$$ per park day.

I would reverse that. Stay on-site Premier at USF and get the express passes (their rooms hold 5 and get express passes. Two night stay gets three days of express passes. Then move to a condo or house. Do Seaworld next then Disney. Only real advantage now in the future to onsite is the half-hour early entry, and you can equal that with one IA$$$ per park day.
we are starting to book things and interestingly with the room only discounts the moderate resorts are somewhat cost competitive with offsite. definitely looking at premier for USF since my DD11 is now a potterhead and that will be her peak part of the trip.

DS 14 and I are side tripping BGT to ride Iron Gwazi et al.

Schedule works out that we're there early July. (which is probably not ideal but that's the only time we can go).

this thread has definitely led me towards a good plan that the kids and DW are buying in on.

In other news, we're trying to figure out if our "dry heat" California wardrobe will be sufficient for the surface of the sun heat and humidity in Florida in July.

In other news, we're trying to figure out if our "dry heat" California wardrobe will be sufficient for the surface of the sun heat and humidity in Florida in July.
Probably not. 😂 If you want to know what it will feel like. Take a long hot shower. Do not dry off. Put on all your clothes. Then exercise while in the hot, steam filled bathroom. 🤣

Along with your normal summer sun precautions, you are gonna want moisture wicking lightweight clothes, to stay super hydrated, and take breaks as needed to cool down. I highly recommend early mornings and doing as much as you can before 11am. Mid-day pool or nap breaks will help if that's your thing. Evenings will still be gross but if you napped, late nights can be great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter