Long Time Reader - First Time Poster - 9 night VGF 2021/2022

mlayman7

Mouseketeer
Where to start!? I am used to reading these reports and have always been jealous of how great, organized, and helpful they are to others. I have always wanted to do this since I am the main planner for our family vacations. I think I want to be able to look back on these reports as a way to remember the trip and as a way to make the next one a little more unique. We started doing daily video interviews for ourselves after each day on our last trip. The kids really liked that and I think that will help me when it comes to posting during our next trip. Here it goes.

When are we going?

December 27th, 2021 - January 8th, 2022. I remember planning our first Disney vacation in 2013 and can still remember the warnings I got from each guide book and every person who has been to Disney... DO NOT GO DURING THE WEEK OF CHRISTMAS!! Well we can just once right? It won't be that crowded...
We have been going once a year since 2013, thanks to purchasing DVC after our first trip. We usually go during one of the first two weeks of December and/or maybe an early summer trip so we have never seen it too crowded. There have been days at the Magic Kingdom where we thought it was too much but that occurred mostly in the evening around fireworks time. This is where we are very nervous about this upcoming trip, with COVID restrictions being over and people wanting to travel, will there be even more people this upcoming holiday trip than there would be pre-COVID holiday trips? The one good thing, we have our room booked already. If they bring fast passes back, with no changes, then that would make us feel even better.

Who is going on this trip?

I think I will start from youngest and and move our way up.

Leah - She is our youngest and absolutely loves Disney and Universal. At 5 years old she loves going on all the rides and has never shied away from a roller coaster. Last year she was able to go on Splash Mountain and big Thunder Mountain and loved them. I would not put her in the thrill seeking category because she still prefers to swim with a life jacket on and would rather play in the splash pad vs going down some of the bigger slides but I love the fact that she does not hesitate to on any of the rides she is tall enough for in the parks. Her first trip was when she was 8 months old and I think going once a year to the parks may have taken away any fears.

Favorite Disney Character - Elsa

Favorite Ride - Torn between Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway and Slinky Dog Dash. "Slinky because it is fast and Mickey's because you are sitting in a train."

Favorite Park -
Magic Kingdom

Least Favorite Ride -
Dinosaur

Next up we have Chloe - If it is still okay to have a scale on girlish one can be, she would be a 10. She is a ballerina, princess, social butterfly, and also loves going to Disney and Universal. She was 2 on her first trip when we stayed at the Polynesian. That was so nice not having to pay for her! She is now 10 and is in a growth spurt, thankfully, I am short, and she was taking after me, but now she is shooting up a little bit! She gets along great with her sister. She will play with dolls with her and watch the same shows as her. Just wondering when that will end? Hopefully never because it is fantastic.

Favorite Disney Character:

Favorite Ride:
7DMT (has been her favorite for years) also loves the Forbidden Journey at Universal

Favorite Park:
Magic Kingdom

Least Favorite Ride: She will still go on it once per trip but does not like the Tower of Terror!

Lucas - Our oldest, tallest, and most daring child. When we go to Universal, he wears me out and makes me feel old because he can go on RRR, Hulk, Transformers, and Spider Man with no issues afterwards. He is 11 and is catching up to his Dad in almost everything he does, be it soccer, basketball, biking, running. Universal appeals to him more at this age but he still looks forward to Disney as well. He also gets along with his sisters, maybe not quite as much as they do with each other but he does a good job of looking after them, especially Leah. He was very disappointed to learn that the Sorcerer's game was ended at the MK. Still not sure why they did that, not like it would cost them that much money to keep it running.

Favorite Disney Character - Kylo Ren

Favorite Ride - Hulk and Hagrid's

Favorite Park - Universal Island's of Adventure

Least Favorite Ride - Magic Carpets

Wife/Jennifer - More a fan of doing a Disney Cruise vs. going to Disney World, is game for pretty much anything. In truth she really wants to lay back and read a book, doesn't matter where she is at. She enjoys things the most when all the kids are out enjoying themselves. Does not like the crowds of theme parks so this trip is my biggest worry with making sure she is not too overwhelmed by making sure the kids do not get lost or trampled on, although we just have Leah who is now at the age we would have to worry about. I think she may still be in a stroller too. Knows I am the bigger Disney fan than she is but goes along with it because she knows it is my place to unwind from the stresses of work. The two of us try and make it down by ourselves once a year for a short trip, mostly for the Food and Wine Festival.

Favorite Disney Character -
Minnie Mouse

Favorite Ride -
Kilimanjaro Safari

Favorite Park -
Animal Kingdom

Least Favorite Ride - The Teacups

Me/Matt - I had never been to Disney until we took our kids for the first time so it was a complete eye opening experience for me. I initially did a lot of research and we stayed at the Polynesian for that first trip. We were hooked or I should say, I was hooked and it would be a rarity if a kid would say no to going back. I am at the opposite spectrum when it comes to the theme parks compared to Jenn. I love the process of planning on things to do, where to eat, which rides to fast pass, which days to take a break. I like being active, although after a few Disney cruises, I also can appreciate some more relaxing elements with those vacations as well. You can stay just as busy on a cruise but different types of busy. I am a big runner, biker, swimmer and the only time I take a break is when I am on vacation. I figure I make up for it walking around a lot. The parks is the place where I feel completely away from work and to me that is the ultimate relaxing trip.

Favorite Disney Character - Baloo

Favorite Ride -
I love Splash Mountain and the Jingle Cruise (love the holiday overlay to the ride). Hagrid's and Rise of the Resistance are also amazing

Favorite Park -
Magic Kingdom

Least Favorite Ride - Triceratop Spin and Kali River Rapids (that ride could have been so much better)

Grandma - This is my Mom and she has been with us before on Disney trips. The most recent being in late May 2017. She is very excited to try out Universal this year and will only be with us for a few nights at Disney and then full 3 nights at Universal. I need to find some previous trips pictures to add her into this thread. Once she decides on which date she plans on flying down to Orlando, we will get her tickets.

Matison -
This is our niece who lives about one hour away. This is Jennifer's brother's child. She has also been with us before on a trip, most recent being 2018. She has never been to Universal either. She will be 12 years old on this trip and loves going on the exciting rides. This is my secret weapon for Universal. When my son asks me to go on another ride of the Hulk, I can just be like, well Matison will and you guys can ride together, I'll sit this one out. I don't have favorites for my Mom and Matison yet but by the end of the trip we will see where everyone stands. I think the Velicicoaster might be on a couple people's list.

Where are we staying?? 9 nights to start the trip will be at our DVC home resort, the Villas at the Grand Floridian in a standard 2 bedroom suite. We have stayed here before and absolutely can't wait to be back. It is very spacious, more than enough space for 7 of us. We plan on having lots of meals in the room to save some money, especially breakfast meals. Then we will have 3 nights at Universal Studios and will stay at the Hard Rock. We have stayed at each of the premier hotels at Universal and liked each one, 580318but the close proximity and the pool area of Hard Rock wins out for us. I was really close to choosing Portofino Bay figuring my Mom would like that resort a little more, but we got a good rate on the deluxe rooms for some added space, so with two of those booked, we will all fit comfortably. Express passes are a must at Universal simply because we have never been without them and now that it will be one of the busiest weeks, no way would we go without them!

We are from central Illinois and have always been able to fly down. We had a cruise booked over Spring Break last year. That was cancelled a couple days before we were scheduled to leave, I was okay with it from the stand point that we were going to drive down since flight prices were crazy. I am guessing flight prices again will be nuts when we are planning on going but this time I will be expecting it. We usually do Southwest out of Chicago or Indy so I am hoping that will be my next update, as our departure flight will be released in 4 days. Crossing my fingers for somewhat affordable prices.

Happy trip planning! You have a beautiful family. :)

Happy trip planning! You have a beautiful family. :)

Thanks. After getting the flights, there is much else to do until the 2 month mark now. I am not sure what I liked better, planning out 6 months in advance then constantly changing those plans all the way through past the 2 month mark the fast passes you get ultimately changed what your dining plans were going to be.

Following!
Your kids are adorable!
I understand being nervous about Christmas crowds… but I guess since you go regularly you probably won’t have the same expectations as most people would and will be able to enjoy the atmosphere and anything you get to do!
Happy planning!

Following!
Your kids are adorable!
I understand being nervous about Christmas crowds… but I guess since you go regularly you probably won’t have the same expectations as most people would and will be able to enjoy the atmosphere and anything you get to do!
Happy planning!

We usually go for 6 to 7 nights so having an extra couple days available can hopefully help make up for it being crowded.. I am really hoping that they have two things happening again this year. Christmas parade at the Magic Kingdom is what the kids really want to see and the Candlelight Processional will be back, biggest miss of last year.

Southwest Day:
I knew it was going to be more expensive flying out around Christmas time but was not expecting the actual prices that were listed. We mostly fly Southwest out of Chicago or Indianapolis. I would prefer Indy because it is a very nice, small airport. It has cheaper parking but Southwest has limited their flight schedule. Only 3 direct flight options and now whenever they release their schedule, the Wanna Get Away ticket fares are never available. Thankfully Chicago has lots of flight times, is 30 minutes closer but Midway really needs a clean up job. Either way the cheapest flight option out of Chicago is $355 and that is if you either want to fly out at 5:20 am or get to Orlando really late (after midnight), no thanks! They haven't released our return flights home yet but I have a feeling Southwest is going to lose our business for this vacation. With an estimated total round trip cost of over $600 per person and needing 6 tickets I think we will save that money and drive down. 😱

Other note: We have a cruise that has rebooked twice that hopefully will depart on November 21st. It was initially scheduled for March of 2020 but we know how that ended up. I did get reasonable prices for flights for this trip, I did have to choose a return flight the day after we get back because November 28th prices coming back were ridiculous. I do not think anyone will complain about staying one extra day at the Hard Rock at Universal.

Having that extra money in the bank will take the sting out of driving for 16 hours and thankfully we have to the extra time to do it, just leave early on the 26th, but it would be nice if flight prices dropped down below $400 round trip. Maybe Frontier will have some cheaper options from our local airport sometime soon, their schedule does not include December/January flights yet. I do not like driving long distances. I highly doubt I would fly Allegiant but if prices are good enough, we may fly into Sanford. Usually driving over 2 hours is too much for me, thankfully Jenn is a great driver and will drive half the time but still, sitting in the car is no fun. I'm going to be stalking google flights constantly over the next few months!

Other updates: Lucas is now fishing with his Grandpa in the upper peninsula and we are going to take the girls for a weekend trip to Cincinnati, see the zoo, visit a brewery or two. And in even bigger news especially for any other Chicago fans, the Cubs just swept the Cardinals up at Wrigley in a fully packed Wrigley Field!!

Following along! We love Disney and have been almost every year since 2012. We are also planning a Christmas trip this year. Disney - December 18-23 and Universal 24-26 We are splurging for Hard Rock at Universal! We have stayed at Cabana Bay and Royal Pacific in the past but this will be our first time at Hard Rock. I am considering Club Level but still on the fence about it.... Can't wait to read more of your plans

Following along! We love Disney and have been almost every year since 2012. We are also planning a Christmas trip this year. Disney - December 18-23 and Universal 24-26 We are splurging for Hard Rock at Universal! We have stayed at Cabana Bay and Royal Pacific in the past but this will be our first time at Hard Rock. I am considering Club Level but still on the fence about it.... Can't wait to read more of your plans

You will love the Hard Rock! Being so close to the parks makes a huge difference. Royal Pacific is a great resort too but that extra 5 minute walk (more depending on room location) is a difference maker! I think we may miss most of the Christmas stuff at Universal since we are arriving on the 5th, hoping they keep stuff going throughout the end of the week. 🤞

Hi there came across your report and I'm so excited to follow along!

I hear you and the pricing on Flights!
WOW!
Like you we are driving $500.00 in gas v/s $3000.00 in flights.

Again like you knowing better then going during high crowd time.
We are doing Thanksgiving.

I am very excited to follow along!

Following along! We are going in February 2022 and I am worried about crowds then too. I think everyone is just looking for a good family vacation. But as seasoned visitors, I hope that we can make the most of it and know where to go when it gets too crowded.

Can't wait to hear all your plans turn out and about the trip after!

Hi there came across your report and I'm so excited to follow along!

I hear you and the pricing on Flights!
WOW!
Like you we are driving $500.00 in gas v/s $3000.00 in flights.

Again like you knowing better then going during high crowd time.
We are doing Thanksgiving.

I am very excited to follow along!

Yeah the prices do not add up in order to fly. We have been considering renting a car to drive down. We can rent a minivan for $400 bucks to get us there in 2 days. Then we can fly back, Southwest has yet to add January flights but I imagine it will be around $100 to $150 per person since frontier is offering flights to our hometown at $60 per person since it is the 2nd week of January and no immediately after a holiday. Only downside I am noticing is if I drop the car off at Disney car rental lot, I have a drop fee of $400 vs. no drop fee if I drop it off at MCO. I could just Uber from MCO back to VGF for $50 and still end up doing well but that fee is a little annoying plus the added hour of drive time. I can't think of any other downsides towards doing it this way yet. I am sure there is something I haven't thought of.

Following along! I absolutely love the end of day interviews for remembering things! I may need to try this. A great activity for walking to/from transportation areas and while on transportation (ok, may be a little noisy, but should be fun!)

And I hear you about SWA right now. I am in Nashville and need to fly home (New Orleans) three times this year for family functions (two of them being in November/December). The direct flight options are HORRIBLE! There used to be many...and the prices are even worse! I have decided to wait a tad for buying tickets too. I normally would not mind driving, but I actually do not have time for that this year.

Can't wait to read more. And I hope you plan on doing a trip report when you get back. Christmas time is one time of the year I have never been to WDW, and love reading everyone else's reports!

Lynn

Following along! I absolutely love the end of day interviews for remembering things! I may need to try this. A great activity for walking to/from transportation areas and while on transportation (ok, may be a little noisy, but should be fun!)

And I hear you about SWA right now. I am in Nashville and need to fly home (New Orleans) three times this year for family functions (two of them being in November/December). The direct flight options are HORRIBLE! There used to be many...and the prices are even worse! I have decided to wait a tad for buying tickets too. I normally would not mind driving, but I actually do not have time for that this year.

Can't wait to read more. And I hope you plan on doing a trip report when you get back. Christmas time is one time of the year I have never been to WDW, and love reading everyone else's reports!

Lynn

I have been watching flights we already booked for around Thanksgiving and they have just gotten worse so I do not see our December flights getting better so I am already getting mentally ready for a long drive down. The good from that will be getting there early on our arrival day since we will be driving the entire day before and then just a little further the morning of.
I am really hoping a lot of the traditional Christmas events are back this year. The Candlelight Processional is our favorite and will be great to see, even if we are going just after Christmas for the first time.
I do plan on keeping this going throughout, that is the plan anyways!

Following along! We are going in February 2022 and I am worried about crowds then too. I think everyone is just looking for a good family vacation. But as seasoned visitors, I hope that we can make the most of it and know where to go when it gets too crowded.

Can't wait to hear all your plans turn out and about the trip after!

I think the fact that if you have been before then you will not feel as down if something is missing because you were lucky enough to have experienced it before. I am hoping by December almost everything will be running. I am not sure about the Character meets and although Leah will be a little disappointed, I think the rest of the kids will be happy to skip those lines.

Yeah the prices do not add up in order to fly. We have been considering renting a car to drive down. We can rent a minivan for $400 bucks to get us there in 2 days. Then we can fly back, Southwest has yet to add January flights but I imagine it will be around $100 to $150 per person since frontier is offering flights to our hometown at $60 per person since it is the 2nd week of January and no immediately after a holiday. Only downside I am noticing is if I drop the car off at Disney car rental lot, I have a drop fee of $400 vs. no drop fee if I drop it off at MCO. I could just Uber from MCO back to VGF for $50 and still end up doing well but that fee is a little annoying plus the added hour of drive time. I can't think of any other downsides towards doing it this way yet. I am sure there is something I haven't thought of.

it's southwest 50th birthday.. earlier this year they were 50.00 per person.
Apparently they need to make up that money? everything is about 325.00
Im sick about that.

YES renting a minivan sounds fantastic too! where were you looking at the rental?
then again insurance! yikes. yep think we will take our car..

standing by to find out your next moves!!!

it's southwest 50th birthday.. earlier this year they were 50.00 per person.
Apparently they need to make up that money? everything is about 325.00
Im sick about that.

YES renting a minivan sounds fantastic too! where were you looking at the rental?
then again insurance! yikes. yep think we will take our car..

standing by to find out your next moves!!!

I still think we are leaning towards renting a van for just the way down. I found with Budget I can get a van at the airport here on Christmas then we can return the car just outside the Animal Kingdom area which is better than going all the way to the airport to return the car. Price looks to be around $450, so cheaper than 1 plane ticket. Going to wait a while to decide on it though. If our November cruise is cancelled I can use the funds from that trip and push them over to December (hopefully) so maybe we will fly round trip after all but I am hoping that we will not have to go that route and Disney gets their cruises going again soon!!

I think the fact that if you have been before then you will not feel as down if something is missing because you were lucky enough to have experienced it before. I am hoping by December almost everything will be running. I am not sure about the Character meets and although Leah will be a little disappointed, I think the rest of the kids will be happy to skip those lines.
Character meets are probably going to be the last thing to come back. But hopefully they can figure out a way to do something more interactive between now and then!

Things are also reopening so fast these days! It's almost crazy!

I still think we are leaning towards renting a van for just the way down. I found with Budget I can get a van at the airport here on Christmas then we can return the car just outside the Animal Kingdom area which is better than going all the way to the airport to return the car. Price looks to be around $450, so cheaper than 1 plane ticket. Going to wait a while to decide on it though. If our November cruise is cancelled I can use the funds from that trip and push them over to December (hopefully) so maybe we will fly round trip after all but I am hoping that we will not have to go that route and Disney gets their cruises going again soon!!

I do hope the cruises open for you!
Yes the rental is so much easier! i really cannot get understand those prices!!!

Quick Universal Trip!
So we took our first vacation of the year. I wanted to stay at work for as long as possible to start the year because we've been administering COVID vaccines and the extra work that goes along with that but now that things have settled down, it was a good time for a getaway. We let Lucas decide on where we should go. Originally we were going to go to either Washington D.C. or to Manhattan (see some shows and the sites) but knowing a lot of restrictions might still be in place we were curious where Lucas would ask to go to. He decided he wanted to go to Volcano Bay at Universal. We have been to Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach at Disney and he wanted to go somewhere new. Since we have Universal annual passes we decided we could spend a couple days at the parks and another day at the wa587157ter park so it was good we would not need theme park tickets bought on this trip. Once we looked up a lot of the water rides and the height restrictions we decided to let Leah (our 5 year old) stay with Grandma since she would not be able to go on a lot of the rides. She was excited about this, we played it off pretty well. So knowing this is a pre-trip report for December, I will not go into a lot of details about this trip. Think of it as more of a helpful planning vacation for the bigger vacation. First off we got to Midway airport 2 hours early (even with an accident on the interstate causing traffic to back up. Southwest informed us that due to unforeseen circumstances we would be delayed for an undetermined amount of time. The gate agent did some research and found out that it was because our flight was in need of some pilots. Okay?, unforeseen circumstances... right. So it took them 2 hours to find some pilots needing to get to Orlando and off we went.

Arrival at MCO:
We love to use the services of Tony Hinds for our transportation needs when we go to Orlando. We have never had an issue and he is very communicative throughout. I first read about him using the boards over 7 years ago and understand why he was so highly spoke of at the time and still is. We will use him again for our trip to the F&W festival in October, even though it will just be Jenn and I and Magical Express is still working, you just avoid the headache of waiting for bags to get to the resort and/or waiting in a long line at the airport. It is simple, get your bags, meet Tony right outside the door, and travel directly to your resort, nowhere else, unless you want a quick stop for groceries (that is included in price). The price is very reasonable too. So we ended up at the Hard Rock for with no issues and were checked in right away and went up to our room. It was rainy and the weather was not looking like it was going to get better anytime soon, so we went down to the Beach Club pool bar/grill and had dinner. The food here comes from the Kitchen restaurant and it always really good. After the dinner, it was getting late so we wandered over to Islands of Adventure (IOA) to hopefully do some water rides (since it was still raining and we were already wet) but all the outdoor rides were still closed and not looking to open up again so we went on Kong and Spiderman. I got to try the new Jurassic World IPA, little fruity but very good otherwise, and we walked back to the resort.

Next up: Getting up early for Hagrid's and to see if we would survive riding the new Velicicoaster

Attachments

• 20210703_093807.jpg
    20210703_093807.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 0
Lots of rain: This was definitely the theme of this trip. It was not from your typical Florida afternoon storm that brews up then passes by after 30-60 minutes. It rained a lot on this trip and kept raining. I am still trying to decide whether o588184r not I enjoyed the cooler, wetter weather or if I would have rather had the hotter, dryer weather. Anyways, we went into day 1 with a singular goal.. ride the new Velocicoaster. We got to early entry about 30 minutes before they would open the gates and there was not too many people in line but enough to know we had no chance of little wait on Hagrid's or Velocicoaster, if it would be open for the first hour. We are not the fastest walkers, especially with my must wear sandals daughter. We soon discovered that Universal did not open up Velocicoaster for early entry so off to Hagrid's the entire line went. We still only waited about 20 minutes before we were off. We have the photo pass at Universal so we stopped by to see our pictures but the kiosk was not open yet? Another theme at Universal. Off to the Velocicoaster!! We got in line and soon enough the ride was running, our wait time was listed at 45 minutes and it took about 30 before we reached the room with the lockers. Chloe was not ready for the ride so off to the family room for her and Jenn. Lucas and I got to ride and were assigned the last row. I 588185was fine with this because I had heard that the front row is great but the last row is even better. This ride is amazing! It has a great queue, is very smooth, easily the fastest roller coaster I have been on, and the acceleration before it reaches the top hat section is scary. Lucas and588186 I both loved it and Lucas got to ride it twice, and when Jenn came off smiling, you know it is a great ride. She avoids Rockin Rollercoaster because of how rough it is but this one was perfect. We then went around doing some more rides in Hogsmeade and throughout IOA before having a great lunch at Mythos. Chloe surprised us and agreed to go on the Hulk, and she loved it, which hopefully will lead to her giving the Velocicoaster a try later in the trip. Next up though was the water rides that we did not get to ride the day prior because of the rain. So t588192he Jurassic Park River Adventure, Rip Saw Falls, and Popeyes and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges (can never remember the name of this ride). I think Popeyes is a really fun water raft ride, so much better than Kali River Rapids. You are most likely going to get drenched on this ride and we all did. The weather was turning and we were wet so it was time to head to the pool.

Pool Closed due to weather: Yes closed because of incoming storms. So we hung out in the room for a while, explored the resort, and relaxed as we waited for the weather to clear up or for dinner time to come. It stormed for a few hours and it was getting close to dinner time so we made our way over to Margaritaville (kids choice). I think the food here is okay, prices are okay, but I do like the outdoor seating and the live music so overall an okay meal. More rain delayed our pool entrance for another hour after dinner but finally we were able to get to the pool and swim that night.

Things I learned from Universal for our next trip: We've never been to Universal during the 'busy period.' Having only been in early December and during COVID, the parks have been pretty empty but the place was packed and having the express passes by staying at the Hard Rock was great. The Velocicoaster is worth waiting in line for 60 minutes. Probably not going to eat at Margaritaville on our next trip, just nothing special. Have to spend more time in Hogsmeade checking out the shops and seeing the little shows.

Next up: Volcano Bay

Attachments

• 20210630_101103.jpg
    20210630_101103.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter