Long flight strategies?

LindaBabe

DIS Veteran
Flying to LAX. I had a flight that changed planes in Chicago but the connection was so tight that I was afraid I wouldn't make it with my mobility issues, so when I discovered that the original plane continues on to LAX with a 2nd stop in Vegas, I opted to change. Unfortunately, that means the journey will now be 1.5 hours longer.

Diabetics especially, what do you do on a long flight where only snacks are served?

How do you keep yourself comfortable for hours?

advice please?

Not diabetic but a mom to kids with food allergies who need to eat on schedules for other reason. I bring plenty of food with me no matter where we go. I always assume that there just won't be food available to them so if they're going to eat then they get what I bring. If we won't have access to anything for a while then I make sure that there's some fat and protein available to them as that keeps their blood sugar more stable (again, we're not diabetic but DD14 and I do have a pancreatic insufficiency involving the ability to process carbohydrates). I love Hormel's shelf stable pepperoni. I try not to do much nut based products if we'll be flying because I never know if we'll be asked to not open any nut products (plus my kids can't eat peanuts anyway) and I'd hate to have to choose between my kids health and that of somebody else when I can be sure not to end up in that position with proper planning up front and bringing something else. I have been known to pack some almonds or cashews but I do have other options available if we're asked not to eat any nuts. Again, protein and fat.

Since we're talking long flight strategies in general, I'm open to suggestions for sensory seekers. Next summer we plan to fly out to CA and we live in New England. I'm planning to make sure to do a flight with a stop in the middle so we'll be able to get up and move around but it's still a long time for my sensory seekers to be in planes unable to move around.

Flying to LAX. I had a flight that changed planes in Chicago but the connection was so tight that I was afraid I wouldn't make it with my mobility issues, so when I discovered that the original plane continues on to LAX with a 2nd stop in Vegas, I opted to change. Unfortunately, that means the journey will now be 1.5 hours longer.

Diabetics especially, what do you do on a long flight where only snacks are served?

How do you keep yourself comfortable for hours?

advice please?

For diabetes, we just bring a lot of our own food if we're going to be on a longer flight. I generally pack something portable like granola bars or packs of cheese and crackers. Not the best "meal" foods but I like to always have something with us just in case we're stuck on the plane for an extended period of time. If we're going to be travelling during a meal time we tend to pack a sandwich (or grab one before the plane). We always carry plenty of glucose tabs and a few juice boxes. Sometimes a yogurt (or something with protein and fat) (all of these can be carried on as medically necessary).

Then again, sitting on the plane for extended periods makes my son go high anyway, so it would be rare that we'd be in a situation where we'd have to eat, and fast.

Not diabetic, but hypoglycemic. Crackers, jerky, peanut butter/nuts(though check with airline first that the flight is not 'peanut free' ), cheese slices. If you don't want to carry with you, most airlines give a 'snack package' and there is a pretty healthy one on there...but you will definately pay for it. You could bring a little canister/cup of dry oats as well and then ask for hot water...and there you have a meal.... oatmeal! :thumbsup2

If you don't want to carry with you, most airlines give a 'snack package' and there is a pretty healthy one on there...but you will definately pay for it. You could bring a little canister/cup of dry oats as well and then ask for hot water...and there you have a meal.... oatmeal! :thumbsup2

There are airlines which don't even serve snacks. Always bring your own food if you are going to need it.

There are airlines which don't even serve snacks. Always bring your own food if you are going to need it.

This. I have been on flights from NYC to LAX with nothing. I am not diabetic, yet I am Gluten Free due to Celiac. With that being said I have discovered KIND bars are so awesome! They come in such a large variety, they are Gluten Free, high in fiber, and are low in sugar. My friend which is diabetic eats them daily. I always carry them on me just in case.

Good luck!

This. I have been on flights from NYC to LAX with nothing. I am not diabetic, yet I am not Gluten Free due to Celiac. With that being said I have discovered KIND bars are so awesome! They come in such a large variety, they are Gluten Free, high in fiber, and are low in sugar. My friend which is diabetic eats them daily. I always carry them on me just in case.

Good luck!

Not to hijack.....I just wanted to say how much I LOVE Kind Bars. I always keep one in my purse if I need a little something. I'm a Weight Watcher and they are worth every one of their 5 points!!!!:thumbsup2

This. I have been on flights from NYC to LAX with nothing. I am not diabetic, yet I am Gluten Free due to Celiac. With that being said I have discovered KIND bars are so awesome! They come in such a large variety, they are Gluten Free, high in fiber, and are low in sugar. My friend which is diabetic eats them daily. I always carry them on me just in case.

Good luck!

Brilliant! I choose not to eat wheat, so this is a great find!

Not to hijack.....I just wanted to say how much I LOVE Kind Bars. I always keep one in my purse if I need a little something. I'm a Weight Watcher and they are worth every one of their 5 points!!!!:thumbsup2
Hijack away - all comments add to our knowledge base, and that's a GOOD thing :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!