Loews Sapphire Falls Resort - Now Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assumed there would be lots of food reviews with people getting the $150 room credit to spend on food and non alcoholic drinks..... What are guest spending the credit on?

I assumed there would be lots of food reviews with people getting the $150 room credit to spend on food and non alcoholic drinks..... What are guest spending the credit on?
good question.
We'll be there in a couple of weeks - 2 rooms, so $300 in dining credit for 4 people. The menus look interesting, Especially the tapas at Strong Water and the flatbreads at Amatista. The breakfast buffet, I think is overpriced, but I always think breakfast buffets are a rip-off, I can't eat much in the morning (and then go on a roller coaster). Otherwise, the prices are pretty consistent with Universal restaurants.
I've seen poor reviews, but again, biggest complaint was bad service, during the first week it was open. Are people avoiding the SF restaurants based on that? or is it the Caribbean food?

What did you hear about Amatista? (the sit-down restaurant). The only thing I have heard was from the Dis Unplugged guys, who had poor service the first day it was open, but thought the food was good. I'm looking forward to eating at both Amatista and Strong Water, but most of the comments I've been able to find are like yours - from people who didn't eat there. The menus look really interesting, consistent with the overall theme of the resort. Has anyone eaten there who has reviews of the food?

My confusion is people saying there are no options, when the Amatista menu has chicken, steak, fish, burgers, along with Caribbean food. What's not to like?

My sister puts a lot of faith in the unplugged team. And if it's bad service than that's a big killer. It will be sitting at a silent table while others brood over bad service. No thanks. Amatista was empty most of the time we were there. Amatista also comes across very formal dining experience to me at least. I would have liked more breakfast selections at Old Dutch Company. I really love Jake's a good casual dining restaurant. And I think that if we had stayed another night that's where we would have ended up for dinner at least.

Last edited:
I have been to a lot of the eateries the first week they have opened

Service was a continuing issue during that time period

But once the place was open over a month, everything was improved tremendously

Hoping that will be the trend at SFalls

C3ACDE74-1A2D-4396-ABBD-98471A60BF1C_zpstdnnhg6t.jpg

I have been to a lot of the eateries the first week they have opened

Service was a continuing issue during that time period

But once the place was open over a month, everything was improved tremendously

Hoping that will be the trend at SFalls
I do hope so. It's unexpected, as Ruth B posted, to not have any reviews of the SF restaurants, especially with the dining credits. I hope people aren't avoiding Amatista based an opening day hiccups.
Also, the Dis Unplugged guys raved about the food at Strong Water.
I'd love to hear from anyone who ate at either Strong Water or Amatista.
The Dis Umplugged review of Amatista is here:
they liked the food, but the service was terrible, on the second day the resort was open.
I'm eager to hear if the service has improved.

And their longer SF review:
has wonderful things to say about Strong Water and the Dhrum club (alcohol-infused LOLLIPOPS?!?! I want one!)

Last edited:
:) Our food credit didn't go quite as far as we imagined it would.

Before we went, I thought we'd try Amatista, but we didn't.

On arrival night, our flight was delayed. We'd have gone there, but it was closed. Strong Water was our only option. It is my understanding there is a little overlap. The food we had was tasty, but portions were tiny. I had the ceviche. That was over $40 right there.

One day we had nachos by the pool. those were a bit greasy, but otherwise great. the portion was large enough that it didn't matter if a few chips were swimming in grease. They were about $15, plus gratuity.

first morning, we headed in for Early Entry, so no time to go buy water. I bought one bottle in the DTC, and it was $5, I think. Add coffee, a smoothie, and a banana, and there went another $35 or $40.

I think our credits basically covered that first snack, and our breakfasts. WE didnt' go for breakfasts because getting to the parks was a priority.

Overall, we were happy with the DTC, and the prices and offerings. In the afternoon/evening, they have a small assortment of hot items: two kinds of meat (sometimes in sauce), plantains, some sides like rice, a soup. If you just got the meat, it was very reasonable- I want to say $7? The soup was also very reasonable and delicious. We spent beyond our credit there.

One night we stopped by the Orchid court at RP. Citywalk had waits. Orchid Court serves sushi, seated us right away, and it was closer than SF. It was late, we figured sushi would be quick.

Amatista looked okay, we read the menu over a few times. I didn't see any standouts.

Maybe next visit.

I would definitely return.

Last edited:

I do hope so. It's unexpected, as Ruth B posted, to not have any reviews of the SF restaurants, especially with the dining credits. I hope people aren't avoiding Amatista based an opening day hiccups.
Also, the Dis Unplugged guys raved about the food at Strong Water.
I'd love to hear from anyone who ate at either Strong Water or Amatista.
The Dis Umplugged review of Amatista is here:
they liked the food, but the service was terrible, on the second day the resort was open.
I'm eager to hear if the service has improved.

I wouldn't judge anything by first couple of weeks. They did have hiccups the first few weeks, but from what we have seen they are doing just fine now.

We ate at Amatista tonight and service was outstanding. Being honest the menu isn't our favourite but we enjoyed what we had. I had shrimp pineapple salad and DH had rotisserie chicken with fries and salad........we both had a cocktail from their selection......they were strong!

Food was lovely and well presented......and I couldn't fault the service from the minute we stepped in to the restaurant. I think we were $100 including gratuity.

We did plan to go to the rum bar, but it was heaving with a convention group.....will try that again another night as it has been recommended to us to have a few things including rum tastings. Food did look good there too.........

ETA: It sounds like the boats will be convenient. We are usually kind of cranky at the end of a long day and decide to walk when we can, rather than wait for a bus or boat .
---------
Has everyone found that it's easiest to walk along Hollywood Blvd to Margaritaville to get to the park? I saved a really cool map where someone drew in the route going through RPR but that doesn't seem as direct.

TIA! Getting excited for our trip although we shouldn't be spending this money :{

Last edited:
We checked in today, and had problems. We had booked through Universal, given the offer of, if we increased our stay to 4 days, we'd get $150 credit for food. When we got the confirmation, it was not included, but they said it would be on our reservation. We check in, and no, they had no record of the deal. The person at the desk didn't know anything about it. I produced a paper copy of an email, she took it back to someone else, the reappeared and said they would give it to us.
We booked two adjoining rooms. My son arrived first, he was able to get into his room before 3. We arrived after 3, our room was not ready until 5:30. Adjoining rooms, under the same reservation!

And we've been on the phone three times trying to access the free WiFi. Still not working.

I checked in yesterday. Room was ready when I arrived - about 4-30. verified the dining credit was on my account, it wasn't but that was fixed in a matter of seconds without me having to provide emails.
Staff have been lovely.
Rooms are clean and the beds comfy.
Wifi works well for me and has done with no issues.
Food options are a little limited in house.
Transport when it rains like it has done tonight is a problem. Lines for the one shuttle every half hour (shared) were crazy when I got to citywalk about 8pm.
The pool is ok. Plenty of loungers - the nodding life guards are mesmerising lol!

We have just returned to RPR after an evening at Strongwater Tavern in SF.............

Food was excellent..........had a few choices and all were gorgeous. Service was exceptional.

There was a queue of around 30 people at one point to get in, it was busy but we were lucky getting seats at the bar just after 7.30pm.

So, can thoroughly recommend both Amatista restaurant and Strongwater Tavern for both food, drinks and service.............:thumbsup2

Question for those who stayed at sapphire over the last two weekends.

How did you find the parks without express pass...the one thing that has kept me from staying at Sapphire this year was the lack of express pass...but I am thinking next year I may skip RPR and do Sapphire since I am a single rider anyway and my main reason for staying is HHN.
Still I spend the day in the parks and there are a few rides where it helped no doubt...but I can always get to the park at opening to do something like Kong.

Any input on this would be appreciated.

Question for those who stayed at sapphire over the last two weekends.

How did you find the parks without express pass...the one thing that has kept me from staying at Sapphire this year was the lack of express pass...but I am thinking next year I may skip RPR and do Sapphire since I am a single rider anyway and my main reason for staying is HHN.
Still I spend the day in the parks and there are a few rides where it helped no doubt...but I can always get to the park at opening to do something like Kong.

Any input on this would be appreciated.

Solo here at the moment. Single rider is working just fine. Haven't ridden Kong yet but will do it at opening another day.

We are back, and I did want to report about Sapphire falls. this is an update of info I had posted in another thread last week:
First - the resort is GORGEOUS. Cool color scheme, blues and white, the pool are is great, the waterfalls very nice, the rooms are pretty. All in all a very nice look to the place, inside and out.
We had two rooms booked, for Husband and me, and an adjoining room for our grown sons. One son traveled from another state, he got there first, was able to check in to their room around 3PM.
Our room was adjoining, he opened the connecting door, and the other room was not cleaned. When we arrived, we checked our bags. Then when we found our son, we decided to get the bags and put them in the boys' room for now. That was a it of a hassle, the guys in charge of the bags, once they took them, were reluctant to give them up before our room was ready - but we insisted.

Our room wasn't ready until about 5:30. Kind of a pain, since check-in was 4, but we hung out in the adjoining room for a bit, then walked around to see the resort.
I didn't understand how adjoining rooms wouldn't be cleaned at the same time.

At check-in, they had no record of the $150 food credit. ($300, actually) We had extended our stay from 3 nights to 4 because of the food credit. A few weeks prior, I called to confirm the reservation, and they confirmed that we had the food credit for both rooms. At check in, they didn't know about it. I was able to produce the email, the clerk went to talk to a manager, who approved the credit.
We gave credit cards for each room, the procedure for using the room keys to charge back to the room, then have the credit applied at check-out, were explained.
Monday, my son tried to charge to his room - nope. Not allowed. later that same day, the boys went to Hard Rock Café and they were not allowed to charge to the room. Ok, no big deal, since it went on the credit card anyway, they used credit cards. We went to the desk, they said it was fixed. Guess what? It wasn't. We could charge to our room, the boys could not charge to theirs. And there was no record of the $150 food credit for their room, only for ours. A manager got involved, said she would fix it . She added the food credit to their room, again. The thing is, the boys couldn't even charge in the hotel, so the $150 food credit was not being used, even though the hotel desk staff said it was fixed.

THe staff were all very nice, apologetic, polite, etc. They just didn't know how to fix the problem. Well, they said they knew how, but it didn't get fixed until our third day.
At Check-out, we waited in line, not using express check-out since we wanted to make sure the problems had been addressed. There was a long line at the check-in/check-out desk. There are a total of 10 stations to use, each with a computer, but of the 10, only two were open. People in line were grumbling because of the wait. This was between 10 and 11 AM. Since check-out is 11, they should be prepared, and have more than 2 people working the front desk.
To summarize - great hotel, great people working there. But they haven't worked out all the bugs yet, and checking in and out were not seamless. There shouldn't be a problem getting a food credit if you are offered it when you book the rooms. We got some explanation about how Universal resorts made the reservation, not Loews - but that was just passing the buck. If I book with a deal that I get food credit, the reservation on the computer should have that info. From overhearing other guests, I conclude that we were not the only ones with this issue.

restaurants in a separate post.

Sapphire falls restaurants:

Drhum club - it's a pool bar, drinks were OK, I liked the Colada drink that had rum and Kahlua. It was pre-mixed, comes out of a machine THe bartenders were friendly and talkative, we didn't eat there, just had a few drinks.

Strong Water Tavern - fantastic! Beautiful place, big tv to watch sports if you want, staff are knowledgeable and friendly. If you don't know what to order, they will make suggestions. Drinks were very good, hand-crafted cocktails, all made with fresh fruit juices, very tasty. We didn't do the rum tasting. The MaiTais were a favorite, I also liked a drink I had with passionfruit juice, I don't recall the name. We ate there twice, sampled a number of the tapas. We had chicken, seafood, pork, beef, and veggie. All the dishes were beautifully arranged and delicious. 2 to 3 dishes per person is about right for dinner, maybe more if you sit a while and drink. This place was never crowded, the service was very attentive and friendly. Our favorite place in the resort. It was never crowded, I can't figure out why, it is outstanding.

Dutch Trading Company - we got coffee here some mornings, grabbed some snacks our first day, and once got some baked goods. Everything was fine, a bit over-priced, but adequate. They also have soup and a few sandwiches, we didn't have any. There's a counter you can sit at, but most people were getting stuff to-go.

Amatista - this place has issues. Biggest problem is that the staff don't seem to know how to get guests seated and served. We had a late dinner there once, it was good, we had breakfast there twice, my husband went alone for breakfast once.
The issues - we walk in, more than half the tables are unoccupied. The host says we have to wait for a table, they are cleaning up the tables. About 5 other groups are also waiting. 3 staff members are at the hostess stand, one is in charge of taking names, the other 2 lead guests to the tables and get things started. But they are all waiting for the one person who is cleaning and clearing tables, one at a time. Waiting 15 minutes for a table in a busy restaurant is no problem. BUT - 15 minutes waiting for a half-empty restaurant to figure out how to get tables turned over to the next guests is a little crazy. I could count 8 empty tables, and I couldn't see all the restaurant from where I was standing.
There were similar problems every time we ate there. Such a big resort, and the one restaurant was never crowded - but there was always a wait to be seated. When my husband went alone, it was early morning, he didn't wait to be seated, but sat for 15 minutes before a server came to the table. Overalll, It seemed like there were probably enough staff, they just didn't have a system that was working. There was no sense of urgency, staff seemed very laid back, like there was no hurry to serve anyone, and the staff were standing around waiting for each one to do their individual jobs. They need to hire someone from an IHOP or Denny's to teach the staff a system to get tables cleared and guests seated. Or hire people who have actually worked in restaurants before.

At dinner, I loved the pork flatbread pizza.
At breakfast, I wasn't hungry enough for a $22 buffet, so we ordered off the menu. That is a mistake. The special Caribbean French toast was $13, but juice and coffee are $4 each, so the buffet is a much better deal. The French toast was a TINY portion. I liked the pineapple topping, but it was seriously like 4 French toast "sticks", ONE slice of French toast, cut in four pieces. Like I said, I wasn't very hungry, I'm not a big breakfast eater, but normally a serving of French toast is 4 slices of bread, not just one.

The next day we had the buffet, which was decent. bacon, sausage, eggs, an omelet station, pastries, yogurt, fruit, muffins and croissants, bagels, cereal, oatmeal, some frittatas. nothing outstanding, but everything was good. coffee and juice were included in the price. Unless you just want a bagel or oatmeal, get the buffet. Eggs are $12, so with coffee and juice, it's practically the same price for the buffet anyway.

Back from a 7 day stay at Sapphire Falls, Had a great time. The hotel
is beautiful, easy to find your way around. Loved the room. We were in the
hospitality suite. upgraded from Sapphire Falls guest services.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 13
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 13
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 13
  • unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 14
  • unnamed (4).jpg
    unnamed (4).jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 13
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter