Locks on Luggage

kristinanderic

DIS Veteran
its been awhile since the last time I flew...february of 2005 to be exact. Back then I remember them going through ALL of my bags and examining everything and if someone had a lock on their bag they were told to remove it. (small airport and I notice everything, they search the checked bags where the passengers can see also)

Anyways..is this still the policy? Are we not allowed to use any type of locks? What about zip ties if they cut them off will they put news ones on?

I'm flying American Airlines this time...if that makes any difference.

Thanks

There are locks you can buy that have the TSA approval symbol on them. If you buy these locks, the TSA have keys that enable them to unlock your bags and then relock (even the combo locks) after they are done searching your luggage. You can buy these locks at www.ebags.com or at a ton of local stores. I know Brookstone carries some as I bought a set recently from there.

I use the TSA locks with no problem. Not really for security against theft, but to keep the zippers from opening.

You may use any type of locks you please on your luggage. However, if your bag is chosen for inspection and you do not have TSA locks, then they will be cut off and TSA will not be required to replace them.

No, they will not replace zip ties or twist ties. I used twist ties on ours in September, mostly just to keep the zipper from coming unzipped in transit. One of my bags was examined on the way home, but I had everything packed in ziploc bags. If it weren't for the TSA note inside, and the missing twist tie, I would never have known.

DebbieB said:
I use the TSA locks with no problem. Not really for security against theft, but to keep the zippers from opening.

Same here. My TSA locked bag was opened and inspected a few months ago, probably because I had a heavy pewter rather shapeless object that I was bringing to someone as a gift and they wanted to see what the heck it was. I can't blame them, and would have been surprised if they hadn't opened it to take a look. Tha bag was relocked, and like you said, if it wasn't for the note left inside, I never would ahve known.

Anne

Thanks everyone, I acutually was able to purchase TSA approved locks at Target. They are master locks with the TSA symbol on them and state they are approved.

Just thought I would let everyone know that Target has them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter