Loaned Toll Transponder . . .

Capt_BJ

So Many Times
saw this in DCL section ... copied to here

Orlando Sentinel today:

EDIT: the expiration date for the pilot program has been removed from the web page suggesting it is to continue indefinitely . . . https://visitortollpass.com/

Central Florida’s toll-road agency has begun to loan transponders to visitors at Orlando’s airport to try to solve ongoing complaints from out-of-towners that they had been gouged by rental companies charging fees that in many cases were far greater than actual road tolls.

Complaints have been on the rise as toll booths in Central Florida have given way to automated pay-by-plate tolling.

A frequent visitor, Don Rogalsky of Winnipeg, Canada, rented a car last year for a theme-park stay. He eventually ran out of a generous supply of quarters and encountered a toll plaza that did not provide change.

The rental-car bill he got for driving through a pay-by-plate lane at that toll plaza included a $10 administration charge.

“I got kind of hot about that,” Rogalsky said.

Several thousand loaner transponders are available during a three-month trial intended to turn into a permanent program. The expressway authority could find no model elsewhere in the country and had to design its own concept. The pilot project is costing the expressway authority $200,000 a month.

Along the A and B sides of the airport terminal, expressway-authority representatives wait from 9 a.m. to 1 a.m. near rental-car counters and next to self-standing signs with the headline: “Travel like a local. Pay tolls. Skip fees.”

The authority has calculated that users of a loaner transponder can save as much as 80 percent of what they would pay through some rental-company toll options.

But as those toll options vary widely, transponder users would pay an average of 23 percent less than what drivers paying with cash would have to fork up, according the authority.

The program officially got started on May 1. But on the day before, Boston resident Marsha Montgomery arrived with her daughter for a cheerleading competition and had to wait in a long line to rent a car.

She saw one of the signs, went to the VisitorTollPass.com on her phone, filled out a form and, as a result, became the first user of a loaner transponder.

“The process was very smooth,” Montgomery said. “And you only have to pay for what you use.”

Other travelers said they hardly took note of the sign, though it was just feet away, as they were focused on their travel details.

“I guess I thought it was an advertisement for a resort,” Jennifer Dougherty said.

Several asked why information for the loaner transponders was not being made available at the counters or rental companies.

So far, the transponder program has the support of airport and leaders, but not the backing of rental companies.

The expressway-authority officials suspect but haven’t confirmed that loaner transponders may take a bite out of profits for rental companies.

“Our focus has been to work with the airport,” said expressway-authority spokesman Brian Hutchings.

Enterprise Holdings spokeswoman Lisa Martini said in response to the loaner program that the “tolling process remains complex and challenging for many drivers.”

“We look forward to working closely with CFX – just as we always have – to ensure the best possible customer experience,” Martini said.

The loaners are shaped as a small mirror hanger. Users will be charged $10 if the transponders are not returned either at the airport or by mail. Tolls are charged to a user’s credit card.

Authority representative Viviana Adams encouraged users to save a website link to the loaner program.

“It’s where you can see your tolls so that you won’t be surprised,” Adams said.

“Thank you,” said Maria Ramiro Delgado, clutching a transponder. “We’ve been traveling all day and need to get to our hotel for some rest.”

Last edited:
This plus information on the bag check-in service available on the rental car side of the airport seem like they would fit in a sticky regarding tips for the Orlando airport.

Gee, I can't imagine why the rental car companies would be against this. That said, most of my rentals are generally through National, and their policies on the transponders has always been one of the least expensive of the various companies as I recall. Some of the rental places it's downright obscene what they charge.

BY THE WAY:

The Central Florida Expressway Authority is piloting a new automated toll payment solution for select visitors to Florida traveling between May 1 - August 1, 2019 and renting a car from the Orlando International Airport called Visitor Toll Pass™.

if you didn't go to the link . . . or missed the article where it said 3 month trial . .

BY THE WAY:

The Central Florida Expressway Authority is piloting a new automated toll payment solution for select visitors to Florida traveling between May 1 - August 1, 2019 and renting a car from the Orlando International Airport called Visitor Toll Pass™.

if you didn't go to the link . . . or missed the article where it said 3 month trial . .

Yeah, saw that when I went to the site today. Maybe it is not ready for a sticky yet... I'm signing up for our visit in a few weeks.

Last edited:

Very interesting development! I can see several political back-room battles going on here.
  • CFXA dealing with the airport commission to establish their kiosks
  • The Airport Commission telling the Car Rental companies about this development
  • Car Rental Companies telling the Airport Commission that the fees they pay to the airport will be affected by this
  • The CFXA using this to one-up the Florida Turnpike Authority's competing fare collection system (SunPass); such competition witch was also the subject of a recent Orlando Sentinel story.
At the risk of getting into politics and getting infractions from the Mod's here, I'll stop now. :badpc:

This is brilliant. My friend is flying into Orlando and then renting a car to go to some beach resort and this game at a perfect time for her. She is looking to see if she has any tolls and will try this out if so. She flies in about a week.

I used the visitor toll pass with our rental this past week (23-May to 1-JUN). The registration and pick-up at the airport booth along with dropping the pass back off into the bin at the airport went smoothly.

I was told that my account would activate when I drove away from the airport and the system identified my rental car automatically and that it would end when I passed through the check point when I returned to the airport. This worried me since I was returning to the airport to pick up some people and still keeping the rental and the toll pass. The person at the booth was to check with the supervisor to make sure my return to pick up passengers would not trigger my usage to end. I also called the phone number the day after I picked up family members at the airport and all was still functioning properly. I figured I'm not the first person to do this...

I did not receive emails with usage confirmation though I was told that I would. I have emailed the visitor pass contact to ask how to get a final account of my toll usage and have not heard back yet but it has only been a couple of hours. I'll update once the entire process is finished; the FAQ's on the website say to expect the credit card to be billed within three days after the usage of the toll pass has ended.

I used this service on my trip 5/17 to Orlando.

Check in was easy; however, the attendant made an error checking me in and changed my return date to my pickup date. So while we sitting in the hotel relaxing I received an email that said our trip was over. I did call in and speak to a supervisor; there was a delay in getting a response and we were staying just a few minutes from the airport so we just went in and spoke with an attendant. They swapped out the hanging card, created a new trip, and we were on our way.

We had two different rental cars on our trip (one to Port Canaveral and one from Port Canaveral); updating the license plate was a simple process on my phone.

I returned the tag in the drop box in the tunnels upon entering MCO. I received my emails on my usage a few days later and confirmed the charges on my card.

Overall this was a super easy process and I hope it becomes permanent. I'd use it again.

Finally was able to review my account after Visitor Toll service had an issue with my credit card. Charged $1.40 for tolls that cost $1.75 cash which was nice. Overall, the process worked well for me. I had two additional round trips to the airport during my stay so I got more usage out of the pass than I would on most trips. Very convenient and I enjoyed driving straight through at the toll locations.

I also hope this becomes permanent and would like to use it anytime I visit and rent a car.

Big recommendation from me.

What a great service this is! Saw it here and I used it last week on a visit to relatives on the Gulf coast. This was a flight at the last minute to visit a dying uncle in Largo (He passed away Sun the 23rd) and there were no good flights into Tampa. Normally I fly in to Orlando and Uber/Lift to our Florida home and get my car there, but our house sitter emailed a week or so ago that I had a flat tire on that car so I rented a car at Orlando and found the nice lady that signed me up for this Visitor Toll Pass. Very easy to get and turn in upon return. I highly recommend this service that was posted by Capt_BJ.

Seems like a great program!!
However we go so much that we bought the removal transponder and just take that with us. :rotfl:

This seems to have been extended indefinitely. I have just signed up for my September trip. Does anyone know how I opt out of the Alamo pass system? I have done online check in and skip the line. Is there something I have to switch off in the car so that the ‘free’ pass is charged rather than the Alamo one? Thank you.

nothing to do to 'opt out'

from https://www.sunpass.com/en/tolls/rentalVehicles.shtml listing for ALAMO (& National & Enterprise)
Opt-in decision is made when the driver elects to use EXPRESS, SunPass ONLY, E-PASS ONLY or LeeWay ONLY lanes.

Nothing to decide at time of rental.

so long as ALAMO gets no toll bill you are not participating

SO, if the transponder you have from another source handles the toll, Alamo does not 'see you'

Just wondering how this has worked from anyone using it (especially Alamo renters!) We would love to try this for our trip in February and always rent from Alamo.

I used the loaner toll pass May 26-June 4 with Alamo rental. I didn’t think about whether the rental car had a pass already. I had no issues.

The loaner toll pass worked perfectly. Very convenient and saved a little with the discounted toll fees I made two trips to the airport during my stay to pick up some folks and all went well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!