Living the DLuxe Life-Sep 2019 (Universal & WDW DTR)-Completed 12/27

I didn't realize this was sour cream ice cream, and now I'm just really intrigued by that and want to try the ice cream! I went with a Brownie milkshake this trip and it wasn't bad, but I definitely wished I had just stuck with the Hazelnut :cloud9:

Yes it is! It tastes just like cheesecake. I tried the Brownie one once, it wasn't my favorite, and I spilled it on myself because of the way the brownie was suctioned to the top :rotfl:

We talk about this every trip.

It was the best!

The closest I've gotten is the meatloaf. Normally I don't eat meatloaf except when Zack's mom makes it (just to be polite and eat it, not that it's anything special :rolleyes:) but their brisket meatloaf I think is very good. My biggest problem is... I'm not always in the mood for meatloaf... :rotfl: I had it this last trip, but only because I couldn't really decide on anything else and at least I knew I'd like it. We took Zack's mom and aunt here and ordered the Totchos and horrified them when we told them they had pork belly, I don't think they ate any :rotfl: Like they didn't even try it, I don't think they believed us when we told them it's not a strange part of the pig... not sure what part they think their bacon comes from... if they'd tried it and didn't like it that's fine, but they acted like we were trying to feed them tongue :rotfl2:

These sandwiches are the closest I've gotten, but they aren't always on the menu, so maybe next time I'll try their chicken sandwich? Or chicken fingers :rotfl: The totchos sound good, but I don't like pork belly or chorizo so I've never ordered them. It's weird they were so weird about it! Pork belly doesn't horrify me, but I don't really like pork and especially not if it's chewy so I tend to skip pork belly dishes. I'll eat bacon, but only if it's pretty crispy.

OMG. That milkshake looks amazing. I had the red velvet one last year. I also sat at the bar (solo) I had great service and wouldn’t hesitate to sit there again .

OMG. That milkshake looks amazing. I had the red velvet one last year. I also sat at the bar (solo) I had great service and wouldn’t hesitate to sit there again .

It was! The red velvet one looks good too! Yeah, I was skeptical at first because I like sitting at a table, but we had great service at the bar.

I finally made it over here. I am so behind with everyone else's reports. I finally finished my own, so I have plenty of time to read. Love your so far.

HHN Snacks (Nights 1, 2, 3)

So I think I'm going to put the snacks from the first 3 nights together into one post.

Night 1

The first night we went was by far one of the busiest nights (as I've found Fridays tended to be this year). This was really our night to kind of get our bearings and take in the atmosphere. Since @xlsm had never been I wanted to be thorough, but also ease her into things. We did 2 houses, and a show, but once the lines were getting longer for everything and we were about to go back to the hotel we decided to stop for a snack!

So everyone raves about HHN's pizza fries. My only problem with those is I'm not a fan of sausage or pepperoni which are a big part of the toppings on those. But this year they announced S'mores Fries!

S'mores Fries
Sweet potato fries with chocolate, marshmallow, and graham cracker crumbs

IMG_1010.jpeg

Yes we ate them on the ground. :rotfl:

All the tables in the area were full. Ignoring the fact that this is probably a horrible snack to get when it's hot out (like it was that night), I will riot if these aren't brought back next year.

They were so good! I've actually never had sweet potato fries. (I'm a big fan of regular fries, what can I say?)

But they worked perfectly. A little bit salty but sweet enough where it wasn't weird. It was incredibly chocolate-y and there seemed to be many kinds of chocolate in the dish. There's chocolate on top, what tasted like dark chocolate in between, and white chocolate chips underneath. The gooey marshmallow and chocolate were definitely the dominant flavors, but I think they have a hit on their hands.

Night 2

The following night I decided to have my first Twisted Tater! These are an HHN staple, but I've never tried one. I figured they were like what we call "ribbon chips" when we get them at the local fair.

The only difference is you can pick your flavorings from simple salt flavors to ones that have a little more flavor in them. We got the salt and vinegar flavoring, but most of them sounded delicious.

IMG_1191.jpeg

(I'm sorry for how terrible the lighting is in the area where we ate, we were in pretty much the same place both nights but this time we had chairs!)

I was surprised to find this was kind of mushy on top. Like some of it was very potato-y. I expected it to be a little crispier so in that way it was different than ribbon chips. A little ways down the flavoring became more apparent, and although the texture was still a little squishier than I thought it was kind of like eating salt and vinegar chips (which I love). I definitely craved another one after so I'd say this was a winner too.

Night 3

This night we decided to try a drink. It's always so hot at HHN that I usually skip the drinks, but I've been wanting to try a specialty drink so we got the:

Twilight Gateway
Tequila, watermelon schnapps, pineapple juice, orange juice and grenadine.

IMG_1379.jpeg

The cup was cool, but the drink was eh. It didn't taste strongly like alcohol, but the flavors didn't really shine through either. They were definitely pre-mixed, and I didn't taste most the flavors listed in the description. I do think it tasted like watermelon, but it wasn't anything I'd get again.

Last edited:

Your milkshake and avocado bruschetta at Toothsome are right up my alley! I've heard such mixed reviews of the food there but I think we'll still try it once.

I'm glad to hear you liked the s'mores fries! I love s'mores and I love sweet potato fries but the combo sounded odd to me.

Your milkshake and avocado bruschetta at Toothsome are right up my alley! I've heard such mixed reviews of the food there but I think we'll still try it once.

I'm glad to hear you liked the s'mores fries! I love s'mores and I love sweet potato fries but the combo sounded odd to me.

They were so good! I would definitely give it a try once even if it’s just to see the place. The restaurant is really cool, and I’ve had some less than stellar entrees there on occasion, but there’s definitely really good things on the menu too.

I wasn’t sure what to think of it, and I know I saw a lot of people who thought it would be weird, so I was glad to see it ended up being really good.

Those s'mores fries look great and I just love that cup the drink came in!

The cups were cool! I think they release different ones throughout the event and when we went they had classic monsters and Ghostbusters available.

Are the S'Mores fries only available at HHN ? I am not going until Nov but those look amazing. I looooooove S'Mores

Following along! Those S'mores fries look legit! And I can't believe you haven't had sweet potato fries before! They had a version at Epcot last year that was holiday poutine-sweet potato fries, gravy, turkey, cranberry sauce...

Are the S'Mores fries only available at HHN ? I am not going until Nov but those look amazing. I looooooove S'Mores

Yeah, they’re for HHN only.

Following along! Those S'mores fries look legit! And I can't believe you haven't had sweet potato fries before! They had a version at Epcot last year that was holiday poutine-sweet potato fries, gravy, turkey, cranberry sauce...

Thanks for following! I don’t like mixing sweet and savory so I think that’s part of why. I liked these because they were sweet with sweet toppings but I typically prefer regular fries.

Reactions: DLo
and the next day we went to DLuxe Burger, so I told them we were living the DLuxe life. :laughing:
:rotfl2:Hilarious! I love it.

The problem was they only gave us one straw so we had to ask for another because our plan was to share it like lovers in a 50's diner.

Or Vinny and Pauly D. :rotfl:
YES!!! Ahhh, the memories! :rotfl:

I still think they missed out on calling it "avocado 3 ways"
I agree! They really messed that up. ::yes::

Been there :laughing:

Strawberry Cheesecake
Sour cream ice cream, cheesecake, graham crackers, fresh whipped cream, chocolate dipped strawberry

RLXAJm4l.jpg
What does Sour Cream Ice Cream taste like?

WCg18DQl.jpg

Samantha's face just screams:
Ha!

Avocado Bruschetta
Fresh avocado, fried avocado, avocado crema, tomatoes, balsamic reduction, toasted ciabatta

h0imy4Ul.jpg
I seriously want to go here LITERALLY just for this! I love love love avacado.

Chicken & Waffle Sliders
Tasty sliders layered with lettuce, tomato, fried chicken, strawberry & Sriracha maple mayo with Applewood bacon.

vlwSoefl.jpg
These look delish as well!

To sum it up though we had a great meal at Toothsome!
Looked great. How busy is this place usually? We were talking about going at some point, but I didn't know how hard it would be to get in.

Y5wVwqJl.jpg

All the tables in the area were full. Ignoring the fact that this is probably a horrible snack to get when it's hot out (like it was that night), I will riot if these aren't brought back next year.

They were so good! I've actually never had sweet potato fries. (I'm a big fan of regular fries, what can I say?)
I think I want to make this for Thanksgiving!

I was surprised to find this was kind of mushy on top. Like some of it was very potato-y. I expected it to be a little crispier so in that way it was different than ribbon chips.
Taht is exactly what I thought as soon as I saw the picture. I love the idea of these, though.

:rotfl2:Hilarious! I love it.

Thank you for appreciating my attempts at humor :laughing:

Been there :laughing:

There wasn’t even a trash can to use :rotfl:

What does Sour Cream Ice Cream taste like?

Cheesecake!

I seriously want to go here LITERALLY just for this! I love love love avacado.

Yeah I love avocado too, it’s delicious!

Looked great. How busy is this place usually? We were talking about going at some point, but I didn't know how hard it would be to get in.

Depends, but I feel like over time it’s gotten easier to get a seat. I still would maybe avoid a Sat night. And it probably depends if you go at a busy time of year. I think lunch is usually less busy. Even if you see a little line I’d still ask. It looked busy when we came up but the wait was only 10 mins. (And the bar and outside had no wait). You can also just get the shakes and stuff in another section.

Taht is exactly what I thought as soon as I saw the picture. I love the idea of these, though.

It was still really good! Although I did have a not so good one the next weekend, but that’s a story for later :rotfl:

Last edited:
Cowfish

The next day we started out at Cowfish. Cowfish is a place I go back to a lot because they have some of the best burgers at Universal, and @xlsm wanted to try them out.

On the way to our seats we saw @nicolebridget22 briefly. (@nicolebridget22 is was nice to be able to say hi to you, and I wish we could've talked for longer! I didn't realize that your trip overlapped with ours. And if you still plan to write a TR about your trip, I can't wait to read! )

To eat Samantha got the:

The Jalapeño Popper Show-Stopper
Beef burger, jalapeño-infused cream cheese, jalapeño bacon, fried jalapeños, jalapeño citrus aioli, lettuce, tomato, fresh sliced jalapeños, brioche bun

IMG_1015.jpeg

She said at first that it didn't taste too strongly of jalapeños, but there was a little more spice further in. Her burger was a tad overcooked, and the flavor generally depended on the bite. Some bites were better than others.

I got the:

Black Truffle Cheese Burger
Beef burger, black truffle cheese, roasted shallots, sautéed mushrooms, roasted garlic aioli, lettuce, brioche bun

IMG_1014.jpeg

I decided to deviate from my usual Boursin cheese for some truffle cheese. I really love truffle, but there weren't a lot of bites where I got that truffle-y cheesy goodness. My burger was also overcooked and didn't have a lot of flavor. Though Cowfish is one of our favorites, and often has the best burgers they do miss the mark sometimes, and that's usually when they overcook the burger. The fries are pretty generic at Cowfish, so the burger really has to be the star, and it just fell short this time.

After some burgers we headed to...

Voodoo Doughnut

We got an HHN/Halloween speciality doughnut:

Vampire Doughnut
Vanilla frosted, with Oreo Bavarian Cream

5F8CE91D-DC3E-4857-AD35-8F38CE7CC753.jpeg

Besides being adorable, (and very very lip staining with all that colored frosting:rotfl:), this was also delicious.
Sometimes the chocolate frosted ones can be a little too fudgy, but the vanilla frosting was good without being overwhelmingly sweet. I also pretty much exclusively prefer cream filled doughnuts, because I find plain doughnuts typically too dry and sweet for my liking. And the Oreo Bavarian cream was a really delicious flavor. Too bad this is seasonal, because this would be my go to doughnut otherwise. (At the end of the trip I also ended up taking one home and 2 of the Portland Creams, and this one kept better/tasted better a day or 2 later than those ones too).

Although there were no knives there so I had to use little wooden stirrer/stick to cut it in half.

What can I say? I had to improvise. :rotfl:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!