Live from Ireland - June 19

tigger_ttfn

Mouseketeer
Just thought I'd post a few observations while I'm on the free internet at the Killarney Plaza.

It gets dark late...about 10pm. Great for walking the streets.

I had a hard time finding artificial sweetener for coffee. It was not on any table except Killarney Plaza, but I never asked for any either.

Soda is very expensive. We paid 3 euro in a pub for a tiny bottle of Coke - 200 ml

The Coke here taste different than what you are used to. Less carbonated and a little more sweet.

Free internet at the Killarney Plaza but only in 2 hours increments. You can keep going back for codes though.

Hasn't been too chilly here. The sun is warm, but the breeze can have a slight chill. My thin sweaters and hoodie have been enough.

Make sure you do have some euro on you and not just your CC. We at ate the Bake House in Cashel and it was cash only. Luckily we had pulled money out the day before for the tips and a little spare euro for spending.

The sweet potatoes here are NOT sweet. They taste like some other vegetable. But the red cabbage is fabulous.

The apple pie is a little different. Not as much spices, more of a fresh apple taste. Good but different than expected.

...especially the food part:yay:. Question about cabbage.....what goes good with cabbage?? You have me curious.
I plan on reserving a spot for next years ABD "Emerald Isle" vacation (in about 30 days) and glad to see all is well with you and your trip.

Can't wait to read more:goodvibes .

The red cabbage is like what they serve in German restaurants. We had it at the adult dinner at Killarney. It was of the many side dishes for our steak.

The red cabbage also came on DH's "ham salad" sandwich at the Bake Shop in Cashel. It was ham slices, lettuce, tomato, and red cabbage.

They also have the the regular cabbage that they serve with ham (or what they call bacon). They also have pork and cabbage for the lunch at Guinness Storehouse, but we all got the Guinness Stew.

We are having some phenomenal weather this week. Our first day we arrived at the airport to rain. It rained steadily for half the day. We thought that was the theme for the trip, but we were wrong. Since then, we have seen a passing sprinkle but that's it. It has been sunny and gorgeous with the cool breezes.

Anyone who has never been on an ABD before (like me) I must say that I am already convinced it was worth the money. There are so many little "extras" that you get that are surprises not to mention the attention to detail that can only come from Disney.

I intend to do a full trip report when I return and hopefully will be successful to upload pics into it.

The red cabbage is like what they serve in German restaurants. We had it at the adult dinner at Killarney. It was of the many side dishes for our steak.

The red cabbage also came on DH's "ham salad" sandwich at the Bake Shop in Cashel. It was ham slices, lettuce, tomato, and red cabbage.

They also have the the regular cabbage that they serve with ham (or what they call bacon). They also have pork and cabbage for the lunch at Guinness Storehouse, but we all got the Guinness Stew.

We are having some phenomenal weather this week. Our first day we arrived at the airport to rain. It rained steadily for half the day. We thought that was the theme for the trip, but we were wrong. Since then, we have seen a passing sprinkle but that's it. It has been sunny and gorgeous with the cool breezes.

Anyone who has never been on an ABD before (like me) I must say that I am already convinced it was worth the money. There are so many little "extras" that you get that are surprises not to mention the attention to detail that can only come from Disney.

I intend to do a full trip report when I return and hopefully will be successful to upload pics into it.

......cuz I am looking forward to Aug 1st when I sign up for this vacation for late May /early June next year:woohoo: .

Anywho - if you need assistance about loading up pics via photobucket.com :

"When you go into your folder to select which files to upload, hold down the "CTRL" button. After you have selected multiple pictures while holding down the button, hit upload.

When placing pictures into your trip report or anywhere on Dis'boards, you will need to do it each picture individually. Put your cursor over the image, the very bottom of the drop down menu is the "IMG" link. Copy this link (control c is copy) and paste (control v) into your message. "

Hope this helps:goodvibes as I am enjoying your tr.

P.S. gonna have to ask this one - what did you pack for Ireland ...clothes wise?? Two pair of shorts and two pair of pants be ok...along with their respected assortment of shirts? Tho, I am much more of a shorts kind of a person......would I be "outta place" if I packed 3 shorts and 1 pair of pants?? On what day (and where) do you go to "do your laundry" or do you send it out to be done?? How much?

Thanks!

P.S. gonna have to ask this one - what did you pack for Ireland ...clothes wise?? Two pair of shorts and two pair of pants be ok...along with their respected assortment of shirts? Tho, I am much more of a shorts kind of a person......would I be "outta place" if I packed 3 shorts and 1 pair of pants?? On what day (and where) do you go to "do your laundry" or do you send it out to be done?? How much?

Thanks!

I packed all jeans and 1 capri. I also brought all thin long sleeve sweaters and a hoodie for my jacket. We also brought light windbreaker type rain jackets. The weather has been warm and sunny for us. However, in the morning it has been cloudy and cool. The breezes have a chill in them. Several in our group have worn shorts, but it's not the norm. It really is a layering type weather as it starts out chilly and windy but ends up sunny and warm. We haven't encountered much rain either. It can be quite windy - especially at Rock of Cashel and on the cruise.

As far as laundry, I had heard it was terribly expensive, so we planned to not have it sent it out. The sheet in my hotel room shows in Killarney the prices for the laundry. Here's an example (in euros): underwear 2.50, shirt 4.00, sweater 7.00, trousers 7.00. Hope this helps!

....I just bought some Celtic music cd's and one Ireland dvd :goodvibes.

Looking forward to Aug 1st (10am Central time) and more from your trip report :cloud9:.

Hi tigger_ttfn,
Thanks so much for the live updates and such detailed information. I am looking more and more into the ABD especially since I am a DVC member.

With so many options I am having a hard time deciding where to go! All of this great information only makes the location that much easier to narrow down. Looking forward to reading more. Have a great rest of the trip.

Thanks again,

Jamie
________
GENETICALLY MODIFIED FOOD

Just got back late last night. I'm working on uploading photos right now. I should have a complete trip report soon!

Hi!
Missing you already!!
I can't wait to see your report. I couldn't sleep this morning -but I am afraid I will be whipped by this afternoon.

We'll be staying at the Killarney Plaza next week!!

We're touring with the local Irish pub in my hometown in Indiana ... not ABD, but it's nice to hear about the Plaza and your weather! :thumbsup2

Swandiver make sure you get some ice cream at Murphys!!
We also liked and Italian place called Robertinos.

Sorry for the highjack tigger ttfn!

Another vote for Murphy's!

If you want Thai food, the Genting Thai Restaurant was really good. It's just by the Killarney Plaza but you see the sign and go down this alley that has shops in it to get to it.

Hijacking here also...MAC's on Main Street in Killarney was really great. Sort of like a modern, Irish diner. My mom had the shepherd's pie and I had fish and chips and both were great!

And a 3rd vote for Murphy's! Chocolate Whiskey was my fave flavor.

We'll be staying at the Killarney Plaza next week!!

We're touring with the local Irish pub in my hometown in Indiana ... not ABD, but it's nice to hear about the Plaza and your weather! :thumbsup2

swandiverpatt - Sheehan's (for a pub) is a must! Great Trad Irish Sessions. OK, I'm crying because I want to go back sooo bad.

On another note ... do you like Clermont?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts