Lisa and Mike's Fairytale Vow Renewal Trip Report

livinthedisneydream

Mouseketeer
Yes, yes, I am finally starting the trip report. At least I have already enticed you with the photos. With 3 young kids at home, it has been crazy finding the time to start. I cannot promise to be the quickest, most detailed, organized tr but I will do my best to get you all the details and hopefully help some people along the way!:goodvibes

First, I should probably give you some background on how all this began. I have always loved Disney. I'm not sure when it really started but I do remember going to Disney World a couple of times when I was younger and to Disneyland a couple more times after my parents got divorced and my dad was living in California (I live in Ohio.) In 1982, I went for spring break with a friend's family and stayed in Ft Wilderness for a week. We had a blast. That's probably what sealed the deal for me.

Anyway, when Mike and I were planning our wedding, I REALLY wanted to have it at Disney. Mom and stepdad said, No, none of our friends will be able to travel. So, we had a few Disney touches at our wedding, including Mickey and Minnie cake topper and my sisters toast

"Once upon a time, there was a little girl named Lisa, who looked a lot like Snow White and dreamed of Cinderella and the life of a princess. Little did she know that she would have to kiss many toads before she would meet her Prince Charming. (Yes, I had some awful boyfriends) If Mike is her Knight in Shining Armour, Mickey's a mouse, Donald's a duck, and Pluto's a dog, then what the he#@ is Goofy? Anyway, as you begin your life together in the Magic Kingdom, maybe you could find out for me. M-I-C, see ya after the honeymoon, K-E-Y, why? because we all love you, Mr and Mrs Creedon"

So, we "settled" for our wonderful at home wedding and took a Grand honeymoon to DisneyWorld and Atlantis, in the Bahamas (to unwind a little!)

Mike was great considering that was his first ever visit to the "world". Not a bad start, honeymoon room at the Grand!

For Christmas that first year, I surprised Mike with one of the pavers in the Walk Around the World. We have the "lovely" location at the very edge of the walk by the TTC to the Polynesian.
DisneyDec2005486.jpg

Then we decided to start the family---Mike and I had been together for 6 years prior to this and there was no way I was waiting 6 more to start the family:laughing:

Our first family trip was when our oldest son was 1. That was the beginning of the addiction we all know and love.

Including the honeymoon we have now been 15 times in 10 years---wow, that does sound a little like obsessive behavior! With those ap's and southwest's ding fares, we are in bad shape for this year too!

And no, our families have never understood our addiction. We took my dad and half brother over for a couple of nights when we went to see my Gma in Sarasota 8 years ago. We took Mike's parents when we only had one child and we took my parents after our 2nd one was born and again with my brother and sister in law for Christmas in 2004---that's the trip that made them believers. Nonetheless, every time a vacation is even brought up, I'm always embarrassed to say Disney. You know how it is. People just don't understand why we need to go back again and again. I have friends with kids who say they're bored and it's too babyish. Thank goodness, my kids have fantastic imaginations and love everything about Disney. We live 45 minutes from Cedar Point, the rollercoaster capital of the world and we have spent 6 hours there! So, none of my nieces and nephews and none of Mike's siblings had ever been to Disney before.

Fast forward to Christmas 2005. We are told that Mike's dad has a limited time left, maybe a few months. At the same time, Mike's company that he has worked for since he finished college----side note, he started with a restaurant that was owned by two brothers. We stayed with them and he moved up and we moved around. Now they have a couple different concepts and he is a district partner overseeing operations for 8 restaurants in Ohio, Michigan and Kentucky. About the same time as we get the bad news about his dad, we find out the brothers are going to sell the company and they are going to buy our stock options. So, last year was good financially, and terrible emotionally.

We do what we're supposed to do, pay off credit cards, do things to the house etc. Mike then asks if I have something "fun" in mind for some of the money. Do I?!!!?? It just so happens I do. Something I've wanted to do for a long time. He agrees, if it costs about xxx amount. OK, I say and then it snowballs!

I didn't do a planning journal so I'm sorry if some of this out of place. Anyway, we pick the date because it is our 10 year anniversary. I looked at cooler times of the year but with so many teachers in our family they all had different breaks so we stuck with the anniversary. It was also a Thursday which meant it would be cheaper. Although, now that I've paid for it, we would've made the minimums no problem!

We gave our family---Mike's mom, single sister, sister and hubby with 4 boys, and brother and his fiancee. My mom and stepdad, brother, sister in law and niece, sister, her hubby and 3 girls and dad and half brother the "invites" last summer around this time. We decided the only way they would come is if we paid for most of it. We decided to pay for the rooms and tickets. We then decided to stay at our favorite resorts and to do concierge level so they would be sure to love it and to help defray the food costs for them. We had the craziest room block ever. Linda, Ken Weaver's assistant was amazingly patient with me and this most confusing room block---Mike and I were there the whole time but people came at the beginning and left early and others came late and left late.

We did end up with some family drama but I don't really feel comfortable posting too much details. Let's just say it's interesting travelling with that many people with different agendas.

Ok, next I will get to the important stuff---the details about the events.:thumbsup2

Yay :banana: :banana: So glad you got this started!! It'll be so fun to hear about your big day :) :) Did you see in my TR that my mom's best friend got a picture of the sign at the WP with both of our event names on it? :goodvibes

Can't wait to read more!

So, I've spent the last 9 months or so obsessing with the details, wanting everything to be perfect, especially for the non Disney lovers. I definitely had a few who didn't really want to go and it was making it very hard for me.

I really thought I was organized. I decided on the Whitehall Room very early and stuck with it. Decided on the WP early on and stuck with it. Saw the Food Network special and was dying for a Mad Hatter Party. Last October, for my birthday, Mike said "go ahead" We had just gotten back from a long weekend trip to the world---sans kids!!! Stayed at the BWI garden suites and we were hooked! Pete, in concierge there is so fantastic---he even let us see the presidential suite which was amazingly beautiful! That was our "site visit" We met with Diane Mahoney-Brown and she showed us the St James Room for the Mad Hatter which was very similar to Whitehall but we liked the Boardwalk and wanted a patio too. We also loved the Lower UK and were so happy we'd booked that. OK, so far so good.

January comes and we go for our tasting. We found out we'd been bumped by a convention at St James so we start looking for alternatives. We'd seen pix of the attic and it was so cute but we couldn't bring props. I really wanted wild colors and props. I kept looking at all the pix on here and kept getting more ideas. ken, my wp kept telling me to stay off the internet!

Anyway, we decided to use St Augustine at the Grand and use some ideas from a VR video I'd been directed to on here. We were going to use a white gazebo and hang butterflies and flower balls w/ribbons. We would also use some props. Very gardeny. Then, I saw someone's pix on here of the Wonders Lounge at Wonders of Life in Epcot. I was only about 5 weeks out but I decided to change venues sight unseen. No more gazebo, but we had the "tent" area and we could nix some props since the room is pretty busy. Of course, we now added bus transport and venue fees so it was pretty much a wash.

Ok, I think I'm babbling here and I really could go on forever but I will try to get on with the actual trip! Hopefully, I won't have to go back too much and edit.

You were there for your tasting in January? When? We went for our planning session in January too!

BTW, don't you LOVE Linda!!!! :love:

Yay :banana: :banana: So glad you got this started!! It'll be so fun to hear about your big day :) :) Did you see in my TR that my mom's best friend got a picture of the sign at the WP with both of our event names on it? :goodvibes

Can't wait to read more!

Yes, I love that pic! I was dropping off stuff at Francks and the lady showed me the sign just after she had made it up but it looks much nicer in the stand.

Actually, Karen, your tr is keeping me from getting started. I've been glued to yours. I had no idea you had such problems. You sure can't tell from your beautiful pix. Our dj at our wedding had a ton of problems---didn't have our 1st dance song, etc. We came out to the same music that the Chicago Bulls came out to (now I'm dating myself since I am a big Michael Jordan fan) My middle one loves Indiana Jones and my oldest is a Star Wars nut. I really wish they could've switched the music for you--my kids would've talked about it for years if I'd used the Star Wars music. I know it must've been awful for you but like someone else said it was a day much like marriage with it's ups and downs and it's how you handled it together that matters. I know I'm probably the only one who noticed the little things that didn't go according to plan but that doesn't make it any easier--especially when you've spent all that time and money!!

Well, I just looked at the time and I hate to leave this when I've barely started but we've got early appts tomorrow. Mike is still off working so I should be able to do more.

Just let me know if I'm boring with the background. I don't mind skipping to the events. although I must say our drama was fortunately much less than yours Karen.

More tomorrow
Lisa

You were there for your tasting in January? When? We went for our planning session in January too!

BTW, don't you LOVE Linda!!!! :love:

If I remember correctly we just missed you. I think we kind of chatted about it and we were coming in as you were leaving. We wanted to time it with our middle one's birthday which was also the first Pirate and Princess party so it worked out well.

yes, Linda was phenomenal! I know she had to be so sick of me and the four inch binder that they had for us but she never would show it. She's definitely old school disney. Lots of cm's could learn from her!

If I remember correctly we just missed you. I think we kind of chatted about it and we were coming in as you were leaving. We wanted to time it with our middle one's birthday which was also the first Pirate and Princess party so it worked out well.

yes, Linda was phenomenal! I know she had to be so sick of me and the four inch binder that they had for us but she never would show it. She's definitely old school disney. Lots of cm's could learn from her!

That's right! I thought we had talked about it :)

You music sounds cool! I love Michael Jordan too. He played for Washington for a year when we lived in MD and we went to see him play a couple times :) I wonder if we had the same DJ since it was on the same day? I haven't said the name of mine on here just because I don't want to stir anything up for him in the future. I'm so glad your day was less eventful than ours. You're right, it's the marriage that matters. It IS just so hard when you spend all that money and all that time planning :) :)

We had the dj at our wedding. He ended up being ok in the end. Everyone was dancing and Mike and my brother--the Mt Pleasant one---have a lovely "dance off" to a Saturday Night Fever montage on our wedding video--and yes, I mean video.

We did a jazz trio this time. Davonda Simmons---she was excellent. Much more subdued than our wedding but in between they played disney music and the kids were dancing and rolling all over the dance floor.

OK, now I'm really off to bed so I'm not too tired to type more tomorrow.

You're off to a great start!! I personally like the "background" information, it really leads up to the big event!

I can't wait to see your pics of the WOL pavillion! It's been so long since I've seen a glimpse of the inside of it!

Can't wait to read more!! :)

I will try to do more tonight. I'm watching my 2yo nephew this afternoon along w/my 2yo so I doubt I'll get much time to myself!

Here are some pix to tide you over. These are the welcome bags we did for each family for each resort. The kids white bags we gave them at the kids table at the reception. The only bags I don't have a shot of are the Boardwalk Inn ones, since I made them up onsite. They were carnival themed paper bags with whirly pops, whistle pops, taffy, marshmallow ice cream cones and seashore scented travel tin candles. here are the others

These red ones were for the Grand Floridian. I found the bags on clearance at disneyshopping.com and most of the candies on clearance at Walgreens.
DisneyvowRenewal226.jpg

DisneyvowRenewal225.jpg

DisneyvowRenewal224.jpg

DisneyvowRenewal222.jpg

These were at the kids table at the reception
DisneyvowRenewal221.jpg

DisneyvowRenewal220.jpg

For the Polynesian
DisneyvowRenewal219.jpg

DisneyvowRenewal218.jpg

DisneyvowRenewal217.jpg

For the Animal Kingdom Lodge
DisneyvowRenewal216.jpg

DisneyvowRenewal215.jpg

DisneyvowRenewal214.jpg

Another polynesian
DisneyvowRenewal213.jpg

Also, here are the vow renewal invites from Shelley at Impressions
DisneyvowRenewal243.jpg

DisneyvowRenewal244.jpg

DisneyvowRenewal245.jpg

DisneyvowRenewal246.jpg

More later.....

I will try to do more tonight. I'm watching my 2yo nephew this afternoon along w/my 2yo so I doubt I'll get much time to myself!

Here are some pix to tide you over. These are the welcome bags we did for each family for each resort. The kids white bags we gave them at the kids table at the reception. The only bags I don't have a shot of are the Boardwalk Inn ones, since I made them up onsite. They were carnival themed paper bags with whirly pops, whistle pops, taffy, marshmallow ice cream cones and seashore scented travel tin candles. here are the others

These red ones were for the Grand Floridian. I found the bags on clearance at disneyshopping.com and most of the candies on clearance at Walgreens.
DisneyvowRenewal226.jpg

DisneyvowRenewal225.jpg

DisneyvowRenewal224.jpg

DisneyvowRenewal222.jpg

These were at the kids table at the reception
DisneyvowRenewal221.jpg

DisneyvowRenewal220.jpg

For the Polynesian
DisneyvowRenewal219.jpg

DisneyvowRenewal218.jpg

DisneyvowRenewal217.jpg

For the Animal Kingdom Lodge
DisneyvowRenewal216.jpg

DisneyvowRenewal215.jpg

DisneyvowRenewal214.jpg

Another polynesian
DisneyvowRenewal213.jpg

Also, here are the vow renewal invites from Shelley at Impressions
DisneyvowRenewal243.jpg

DisneyvowRenewal244.jpg

DisneyvowRenewal245.jpg

DisneyvowRenewal246.jpg

More later.....

Lisa your welcome bags are the cutest I have seen! I vote you welcome bag queen.

I am loving your TR so far. I also love the background.

Your welcome bags are amazing.

(I've been reading Karen's TR too...I noticed the sign this morning and loved it)

Lisa
you are totally living my dream!!! I too wanted to get married at WDW and my mother also talked me out of it. I have told my husband that at some point we will do a VR. Our 10th was last year, so maybe for our 15, can I hire you as my coordinator. I love your welcome bags, everything is GREAT.

My dad passed away 2 years ago and we used some of the money he left us to go on the disney cruise, I am so happy now that I will always remember that trip and also think of my dad.

Cant wait for more

Tara

You're off to a great start!:thumbsup2
I LOVE your invitations and welcome bags! It's so great that you took the time to "theme" each one to the resort!:goodvibes
Can't wait to see the rest - I'm SO excited to see the pics from your Mad Hatter Party!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Thanks for the kind words on the bags. I'm kind of anal about that kind of thing and usually go completely overboard on theming and favor bags for my kids parties. My oldest will even say to me if I can't find something, "well, Mommy just buy it on ebay"

I was very pleased with the invites as well. Shelley had just gotten them in and was pumped to get to use them. For the most part, we were pleased with Shelley and Impressions. She started off being very difficult to get a hold of. In the end, after some prodding because we really didn't have any idea how much these things were going to cost, she was really willing to work with us. Unfortunately, we weren't able to do everything as we'd liked but here's what we decided on.

We did the invites ---we only needed about a dozen but as most of you know the setup is the expensive part so it's not necessarily that much more for 50 than 12. However, we really felt these were unique and I loved that they were the coach since I was having the coach.

We had her do the Illuminations invitations. I'll need to see if I have a pic, but if you look at Francks, they are the black ones with silver writing with Mickey and Minnie with their backs to you looking at the fireworks. Again, I didn't have a way to print silver on black paper so we had Shelley do them.

The Mad Hatter Invites and menus I did for a fraction of what they would've been from Impressions.

Princessdisneybelle was kind enough to do the Mickey fans for us at a HUGE savings. I think we would've paid around $600 for 30 fans from Impressions:scared1:

We did do some paper beverage napkins from Shelley but did the cheapie ones even though she had some great looking options, I just couldn't justify $300 in paper napkins!

So, overall, Shelley has some unique ideas but remember that the Disney licensing is going to cost you a pretty penny! She will really try to work with you to stay in your budget though.

OK, I wish I were as organized as many of you out there and kept a journal of what we did each day. Unfortunately, with the kiddies and the family, I was pretty organized up until a couple of weeks before we left.

After school was out, there was tball, swim team, swim lessons, golf camp, etc. Not to mention, since we would be out of town for 2 weeks, DH really needed to visit all the restaurants which meant lots of out of town travel. So, needless to say I didn't even get packed up until the night before we left! Not the best way to travel. I did however send many items down ahead of me which really helped. The other little item that was a challenge before we left was with Southwest. They told me my dress would have to fit in an overhead bin! Yeah, right. So, I found an old suitcase that was gigantic (we never use it anymore b/c if you fill it up you will easily go over 50 pound limit). Luckily, the dress and all accessories fit. You cannot imagine how anxious I was at baggage claim that day!!

Next up, getting there

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter