• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Likelihood of getting desired reservations when you upgrade to concierge at port

MermaidShelb

Earning My Ears
It will be our first Disney cruise this November 2020 and we are currently booked in a Veranda. We are going to try to upgrade to concierge at port. My concern, as a first time cruiser, is that there will not be availability for Remy, Palo, Princess Tea, etc when our booking window opens. If we are able to upgrade at port, will this significantly increase our potential to book these on-board activities?

If activities are fully booked in advance, then they will still be sold out on boarding day. If you do upgrade and tell the Concierge staff that you were unable to book an onboard activity that you really wanted, it is possible that they will be able to get it for you. This is likely for Palo and Remy, which hold reservations to be booked onboard, and less likely for the Princess Tea and beverage tastings, where spots would be available only if there were cancellations.

Of course, you could try to book onboard even if you do not upgrade to Concierge. Using the Concierge staff may be easier than waiting in line at Guest Services or Dining Changes, and may give you a slight advantage, but I don’t think booking at the port will significantly increase your potential to book sold-out activities.

It will be our first Disney cruise this November 2020 and we are currently booked in a Veranda. We are going to try to upgrade to concierge at port. My concern, as a first time cruiser, is that there will not be availability for Remy, Palo, Princess Tea, etc when our booking window opens. If we are able to upgrade at port, will this significantly increase our potential to book these on-board activities?
You should not have a problem booking Rémy as a first time cruiser. Palo brunch might be an issue, but not Palo dinner. I’m not sure if the Princess Tea sells out or not these days, as it is quite expensive and has limited appeal. Since this is your first cruise, you could do well without any of those things and save some of them for a repeat trip. I would not try to upgrade just to get hard-to-get reservations for that reason, but if you want to upgrade anyway, your odds of getting those reservations once onboard wou le massively increase. When they first meet you, the hosts will ask if you want to book them and work very hard to find you spots.

Upgrade because you want to spend the money for the enhanced services, not because you think it will get you a Princess Tea reservation.

What length cruise are you on? If you are only on a 3/4 night, then I wouldn't suggest Remy and Palo on your first cruise since then you will miss out on trying all of the MDRs. If it is a 7 night, then it isn't as much of an issue (other than ensuring you see the AP show on the 2nd night, etc.)

I wouldn’t count on being able to upgrade to concierge at the port. Out of 9 cruises we were able to upgrade once at port to concierge and we have had the earliest port arrival time each cruise. If you want to ensure concierge I would book it ahead of time.

If activities are fully booked in advance, then they will still be sold out on boarding day. If you do upgrade and tell the Concierge staff that you were unable to book an onboard activity that you really wanted, it is possible that they will be able to get it for you. This is likely for Palo and Remy, which hold reservations to be booked onboard, and less likely for the Princess Tea and beverage tastings, where spots would be available only if there were cancellations.

Of course, you could try to book onboard even if you do not upgrade to Concierge. Using the Concierge staff may be easier than waiting in line at Guest Services or Dining Changes, and may give you a slight advantage, but I don’t think booking at the port will significantly increase your potential to book sold-out activities.

Thank you! that is exactly what I was wondering. Very helpful! Are the beverage tastings something you prebook when your window opens or are they booked on-board? I had read somewhere that you can’t book those experiences until on-board.
Thank you!!!

You should not have a problem booking Rémy as a first time cruiser. Palo brunch might be an issue, but not Palo dinner. I’m not sure if the Princess Tea sells out or not these days, as it is quite expensive and has limited appeal. Since this is your first cruise, you could do well without any of those things and save some of them for a repeat trip. I would not try to upgrade just to get hard-to-get reservations for that reason, but if you want to upgrade anyway, your odds of getting those reservations once onboard wou le massively increase. When they first meet you, the hosts will ask if you want to book them and work very hard to find you spots.

Thank you! Yes, i agree that upgrading just for those may not be worth it. And my sister says we should experience Disney first without concierge because it really is so magical with all that is already included. The hubs and I are foodies, so we are hopeful for a meal at each of the specialties, even if we can’t get brunch. Thanks so much!

Upgrade because you want to spend the money for the enhanced services, not because you think it will get you a Princess Tea reservation.

What length cruise are you on? If you are only on a 3/4 night, then I wouldn't suggest Remy and Palo on your first cruise since then you will miss out on trying all of the MDRs. If it is a 7 night, then it isn't as much of an issue (other than ensuring you see the AP show on the 2nd night, etc.)

Yes, I agree the upgrade needs to be to enjoy the other services and not just lock in reservations. My husband wants the upgrade for the other services, I wanted it to get more peace of mind booking the onboard dining and extras. We’re going to give it a try but aren’t going to be too upset if it isn’t available.
We are fortunately on a 7 night cruise. I do want to experience all of the MDR locations!
Thanks for the input!!!

Are the beverage tastings something you prebook when your window opens or are they booked on-board? I had read somewhere that you can’t book those experiences until on-board.
Thank you!!!
Beverage tastings used to be bookable only onboard the ship, but have been available for online booking for at least the past year.

Often things fill up online, but then open up nicely once you board, so don't worry too much if things show as fully booked online. Never had any issue booking anything once on the ship after more sailings than I care to admit, so long as I ask as soon as possible on that first day. The only exception might be the cabanas at Castaway Cay as they do seem to book up early and stay booked.

I wouldn’t count on being able to upgrade to concierge at the port. Out of 9 cruises we were able to upgrade once at port to concierge and we have had the earliest port arrival time each cruise. If you want to ensure concierge I would book it ahead of time.

same... 0/11 cruises is our tally (though one we did not try as we were already booked concierge, we overheard from a couple they had gotten the last one when we walked by).

Often things fill up online, but then open up nicely once you board, so don't worry too much if things show as fully booked online. Never had any issue booking anything once on the ship after more sailings than I care to admit, so long as I ask as soon as possible on that first day. The only exception might be the cabanas at Castaway Cay as they do seem to book up early and stay booked.
You can add the tastings once you Board, but I recommend it is the very first thing you do (the Navigator will tell you where to go). The few spots they hold back go very quickly!

How many Concierge rooms are currently available?

How many Concierge rooms are currently available?
Currently there are 7, but the cruise is in November. So still plenty of time for the rooms to be booked out. We Aren’t holding our breath but are going to try going early on embarkation to give it a try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter