Light sabers on airplanes, yes or no?

MammaMoe48

DIS Veteran
I know this isn't the place for this question but I don't know if it would be read and replied to anywhere else. So my question is, can I carry a non-collapsible light saber onto the plane? It will not fit in a bag. Thanks.

Build one at HS and leave yours at home. That's what we're doing.
We bought it at HS and want to bring it home. I would think that MCO would allow them to be carried on because of how many people must buy them. I'd prefer not to pack it in my checked bags because I don't trust the baggage handlers. They throw the bags around like they are garbage. When we arrived at Orlando a few days ago it was pouring rain and they left our bags out in the downpour and all my clothes were soaked - they could not care less. I'm afraid that the "light" part will get broken if I pack it.

Last edited:
It's fine. 99.99%. We saw Kylo Ren sabers in carryons and those are ridiculous.

You can take your BYO apart FYI. DH and DS do quite often.

We bought it at HS and want to bring it home. I would think that MCO would allow them to be carried on because of how many people must buy them. I'd prefer not to pack it in my checked bags because I don't trust the baggage handlers. They throw the bags around like they are garbage. When we arrived at Orlando a few days ago it was pouring rain and they left our bags out in the downpour and all my clothes were soaked - they could not care less. I'm afraid that the "light" part will get broken if I pack it.
If there was lightening the baggage handlers are pulled inside for their own safety. They leave the baggage where it is.

We collapsed it and sandwiched it between clothes in the big suitcase, no damage at all that way for us.

But yes, we did see collapsed lightsabers hanging out of backpacks in the airport so you're probably fine to carry it on.

It's the Kylo Ren one. I can fit the BYO in my carry on

If you're worried about the light part/handle, it just unscrews. Put that part in the carry on and the rest in the packed luggage?

My 2.5 yo is always unscrewing the light handle to our Kylo ren one and shining it right into my eyes :rolleyes:

If you're worried about the light part/handle, it just unscrews. Put that part in the carry on and the rest in the packed luggage?

My 2.5 yo is always unscrewing the light handle to our Kylo ren one and shining it right into my eyes :rolleyes:
I didn't know it came apart. I'll see if I can figure it out

The handle unscrews just below the hilt - I tried uploading a pic from my phone but it's too big haha.

We carried our non collapsable/take apart able light sabers, once one from DL and once from WDW, on SW airlines. No problems at all.

Just remember what almost happened to Peter Mayhew's light saber. The airport security screeners tried to declare it a realistic replica of a weapon, conveniently forgetting to add "imaginary".

Thanks all. I tested it out and I can fit it in my big bag of souvenirs so they should let it through with all my other stuff. We'll see, I might have to secretly keep my phone camera on to record any of their shenanigans. :darth::chewy:

We bought a noncollapsable one earlier this week (my daughter is 3 and it's far easier for her to handle than the full size BYO). I'll have to post when we get home to see it goes, but the TSA's official policy is as follows:

Search Results For:

lightsaber

icon_check_carry.png

Check or Carry-on

Sadly, the technology doesn't currently exist to create a real lightsaber. However, you can pack a toy lightsaber in your carry-on or checked bag. May the force be with you.

Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    120.1 KB · Views: 4
UPDATE: We had no problem getting the lightsaber through screening. My jar of peanut butter that I forgot was in my carry on wasn't so lucky. I wonder if they have parties with all the confiscated food and beverages at the end of their shift?
party: :drinking1

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!