Lifeguard Roles

LB3

Earning My Ears
Can anyone out there give me their experiences with being a Lifeguard? What are the chances I will be assigned to a water park and not a resort. I arrive on May 23rd. Thanks.

I was a lifeguard fall '09 at the Gand Floridian/Polynesian. Being a lifeguard was nice in that you knew your schedule would be steady. If you are at the resorts suring a busy season you only work 4 days a week which is also nice. You can train in other areas too which is fun. I trained into cabanas and the night time movie. It seemed like about half the cp lifeguards did waterparks and the other half did resorts. If you request a resort you should be fine. I requested the grand and I got it.

It is very boring. It is so boring. And there are moments of absolute panic when someone is struggling in the water, or already going under. I had to jump in for 6 kids during my program. It sucks being so broed and then suddenly feeling like your heart is going to explode from panic.

It is tougher to feel like a true cast member as there is very little guest interaction, but the job is interesting.

Hi! I am considering being a lifeguard next spring and was just wondering when we should request where we want to work. During the phone interview or once we get there?

Definitely the phone interview or immediately after you have been accepted into lifeguarding. If you wait much longer than that, they have already placed you.

I worked as an LG at both TL (Typhoon Lagoon) and YB/BW (Yacht and Beach Resort/Boardwalk Resort). I didn't get a choice of where I worked being an International College Program participant, but luckily I was able to change to the Resort halfway through my 6 months as an LG.

A lot of people had a really good experience working at a Water Park, but working at a Resort you get to know people a little better, it's a smaller team and everyone at YB was so friendly. It was like a little family and I really didn't want to change roles at the end of it!

Everyone has different experiences Lifeguarding, but overall I loved it. Those 6am Inservices were not pretty, though!! :rotfl:

Also, what someone said above about it being boring - yes, it is. Yes, you also go through an intense panic attack the first time you see someone going under, but it does get better.

Being able to compare the role with an Attractions role, I think for the sheer guest interaction part I would choose Attractions over Lifeguarding any time. I would rather be able to talk to people than stare at water for 8 hours + a day.

Also, in summer it is HOT. And I mean HOTHOTHOT. One of our lifeguards fainted on stand, and I almost went down myself at one point. You've really gotta concentrate sometimes, and remember to hydrate yourself regularly. It's very different to being a 'normal' CM.

I've been a lifeguard for 3+ years, so I understand the heat and boring hours and things. I am 100% okay with little to no guest interaction. Keeping people safe is enough interaction for me. I just really DON'T want to work at a water park. It seems so intense and large scale. That's why I am nervous about applying for lifeguard because I don't want to get placed at a water park. :confused3

I think both places have their pros and cons - as with any work place. Don't let the water park being a big place get to you. A lot of people really love working there, and honestly in terms of guarding it's pretty much just like guarding at a resort. You get your own little patch of water to guard, rotate every so often and get pretty sunburnt if you don't remember your sunscreen :) The only place that had me really REALLY freaking out was guarding the Wave Pool at Typhoon, but you get used to it after a while.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter