Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

Sounds like the class was a success!

Also I just found out today that one of the breweries near my in-laws is releasing a gingerbread beer. Not the same as the latte, but I will take any gingerbread I can get at this time of year. We are stopping to pick some up on Wednesday.

Sounds like the class was a success!
It definitely was!

Also I just found out today that one of the breweries near my in-laws is releasing a gingerbread beer. Not the same as the latte, but I will take any gingerbread I can get at this time of year. We are stopping to pick some up on Wednesday.
Interesting. I want to hear a full review after you've had the beer. I think we all need more gingerbread in our lives, especially this time of year (but also in general).

So ... I may be playing on my company's soccer team tomorrow. This will be interesting. I haven't played soccer in a long time. They might be decent. Not sure if I want to end up sitting on the sidelines not embarrassing myself or if I really want to play.

Also gotta run 5K in the morning because Virtual Turkey Trot and I don't know when else I'd do it (Mile High Run Club on Wednesday, which wouldn't count because treadmill, and then no idea what my weekend running schedule is).

This new "fitness, not just running" thing of mine turning out to be a little different than I expected...

So, I don't know if it's life stuff working out okay or the lack of emphasis on running or what, but I'm feeling a lot better about a lot of things these days, including my fitness "routine". I do want to make myself a training guideline for Princess to make sure I'm still running an okay amount, but I really think I'm better off not focusing on running and just letting it happen when it does.

I could get better at waking up to run, though. Didn't get my 5K in today because I didn't want to get out of bed. Sigh.

So ... I may be playing on my company's soccer team tomorrow. This will be interesting. I haven't played soccer in a long time. They might be decent. Not sure if I want to end up sitting on the sidelines not embarrassing myself or if I really want to play.
Soccer and I have a mutual relationship built on hatred and dislike. Owing almost entirely to soccer balls having a painful habit of hitting me right in the face or other areas in the only two years in which I willingly played it.

I run after work because I have a difficult time getting out of bed in the morning.

Soccer and I have a mutual relationship built on hatred and dislike. Owing almost entirely to soccer balls having a painful habit of hitting me right in the face or other areas in the only two years in which I willingly played it.
I warned my teammates that if the ball came too close to my head, I would duck.

I run after work because I have a difficult time getting out of bed in the morning.
I don't have that luxury (I can't run in the dark and don't have full-time access to a treadmill, not that I'd want to treadmill all the time), so I have to learn to get up early :(.

Shopping Post
Hi friends! It’s ya girl Sarah here with a shopping post. Which honestly should surprise nobody at all.

This is in chronological order, not category order, so I’m sorry if the stuff at the end doesn’t make sense.

Shoes: Part 1
On Sunday I went shopping with a friend for work clothing (which is a story for a different time), and since my Levitates are gonna need to be replaced soon (sigh … forget 400, I don’t think I’m getting these to 300), we decided to stop in at the Nike store and check out the Zoom Fly 3 (which my friend had recently bought and loves) and the Pegasus 36 Shield.

They didn’t have what I wanted in stock in the store, but after a long and stressful mess that involved arguing with the manager (while one of the floor employees really went above and beyond to help us), I had a pair of these getting ready to be shipped to me:

I actually liked the Pegasus better, but the Zoom Fly were definitely interesting. One of the colors of the Zoom Fly was on sale (not the one above … this was the start of the mess), so I decided to try those first, and figured if I didn’t love them, I’d try to find the Pegasus on sale.

The shoes arrived on Tuesday and I ran in them on Thanksgiving morning. They started out meh but okay, but by the end my knee hurt a little. I want to try them a few more times, but I think it might be a similar situation to what I had when I tried Hokas, in that significantly different shoe constructions than I’m used to don’t agree with me. We’ll see. This may have just been new shoe issues that I have to adjust to.

GRYFFINDOR (said in the sorting hat voice)
I don’t know exactly how I found it, but on Thanksgiving morning I discovered Pandora’s brand new collection:
https://us.pandora.net/en/jewelry/collections/harry-potter-jewelry/
This apparently just came out.

I haven’t bought anything yet, but I have three charms in my cart:

I don’t want to put them on my Disney bracelet, so I’m thinking of putting them on a necklace. But first I have to convince myself to pull the trigger and buy them, because as much as I love them … they're not cheap and it adds up. I’m used to only buying one Pandora charm at a time.

Hold My Monies
So … I overstuff my wallet like crazy and it’s dead. Like, falling apart. So I decided that I wanted a new wallet. And then I decided that I wanted to look at Disney wallets. And then I decided I wanted to buy a Loungefly wallet (there was a process to get to this, but I’m skipping it because whatever). I debated a few designs, but settled on a Little Mermaid one:

I’m excited. It’s really pretty, and hopefully it’ll be everything I need.
Also, I’m kinda using this as a test for Loungefly. If I really like this wallet, I may consider buying more Loungefly stuff … since they make no shortage of cute Disney stuff. And cute Harry Potter stuff.

I do have an old bigger wallet at the house, so while I’m waiting for the new wallet (it’s being delivered to Beth because she ordered a gift for a friend in the same order, so she’ll bring it when she comes up next month), I may just swap that out with the dead wallet to tide me over.

Shoes, Part 2
If I end up not liking the Nike Zoom Flys and either not trying or not liking the Pegasus, then I want to get another pair of Levitates. They’re on sale for $90 at Zappos right now, so I’m debating buying them just to have and then returning them if I don’t need them.

This is the color I’m looking at:

I dunno. I wanted to try something new, but I should probably just buy these because I know they work for me, right? I’m just annoyed that I’m going to get less than 300 miles out of the Levitates. Sigh.

Sunglasses (For At Night?)
I have a shopping problem, so I want to buy another pair of goodrs. I tried on the “OG” style at the marathon expo, and I didn’t like them, so I’m gonna go with another pair of Runways.

I want something I can wear with brown, so nothing overly black. Here are my top candidates:
Schrödinger’s Saigon Jane:

Fast As Shell:

Captain Ashley’s Mulligan:

Beth likes the Captain Ashley’s Mulligan. My mom doesn’t like any of them, but of the choices, her preference is Fast As Shell. I like Schrodinger’s Saigon Jane, but I seem to be the only one.

And that is my shopping post for today. Stay tuned to see if I remember any of this in 15 minutes.

UPDATE:
I bought the Harry Potter Pandora beads. They were just too stinkin cute not to buy.

Also picked up these guys:

That's the Pegasus 36. We'll see how I feel about them, but they were mad cheap.
I haven't done much Black Friday/Cyber Monday shopping ... I should probably buy some clothing, I need to buy another hair iron (to keep at the house so that we don't have to keep shleping irons back and forth), and I want to buy a computer, but I'm not sure I want to replace my PC because I won't be able to get some of the programs I have on there again (leftovers from an old job).

I also want to get my eating back under control, but since I ordered dinner tonight ... we'll see how that goes. Putting away the second half of my sandwich for tomorrow.
I also didn't run today, but ... it happens. I made a nice training plan, but then I stopped caring. Sigh.

I have the zoom flys (bought them at an outlet so no huge investment) and I like them, but can only handle them for shorter distances. I wish I could afford the super fancy Nikes, but that is not in my budget for now. I love those Goodrs, I think the Fast as Shell is my favorite!

So I run in Pegasus only for the last 7 years or so. We went shopping this past Saturday at an outlet mall near us that has a night and a New Balance store. I tried on a few pairs of New Balance, but they just felt way too big. I think part of it is they have a wider toe box than Nike and I am just not used to that. I tired on two pairs of shoes at Nike. One was the Zoom Pegasus Turbo and I really loved the feel of them. But they were $130 at the outlet, so that would be a hard no. Instead I went with the Pegasus 35s in pink. With the sale, they came to $45, which is much more in my budget. I have run in them twice with no problems. I am hoping that the next time I need shoes the turbos will have come down in price.

I like Schrödinger’s Saigon Jane the best, but I also like bright colors. I have the Rose goodrs.

We did try the Gingerbread beer over Thanksgiving weekend. It was very good. I was concerned it would be sickly sweet, but it had very little sweetness to it. You could definitely taste the ginger and had a nice little burn at the end. A great holiday beer.

I have the zoom flys (bought them at an outlet so no huge investment) and I like them, but can only handle them for shorter distances. I wish I could afford the super fancy Nikes, but that is not in my budget for now. I love those Goodrs, I think the Fast as Shell is my favorite!
Hmm ... interesting that you can only do short distances in the Zoom Flys. That kinda reinforces my thought that they're not the best for distance (especially for me, since I have super sensitive knees). I actually have no interest in the super fancy ones ... although part of that is that I think it's total garbage to charge $250 for running shoes. Sigh. Oh, Nike.
Thanks for the input on the goodrs!

So I run in Pegasus only for the last 7 years or so. We went shopping this past Saturday at an outlet mall near us that has a night and a New Balance store. I tried on a few pairs of New Balance, but they just felt way too big. I think part of it is they have a wider toe box than Nike and I am just not used to that. I tired on two pairs of shoes at Nike. One was the Zoom Pegasus Turbo and I really loved the feel of them. But they were $130 at the outlet, so that would be a hard no. Instead I went with the Pegasus 35s in pink. With the sale, they came to $45, which is much more in my budget. I have run in them twice with no problems. I am hoping that the next time I need shoes the turbos will have come down in price.
Good to hear that the Pegasus works for you! I looked at the Zoom Pegasus Turbo, but figured I'd go with whatever was cheapest ... and that wound up being these super fun rainbow-ish Pegasus 36. Planning to try them out this weekend, so we'll see how that goes.

I like Schrödinger’s Saigon Jane the best, but I also like bright colors. I have the Rose goodrs.
Thanks for the input! I definitely also liked the bright colors on that. The Rose ones are great too.

We did try the Gingerbread beer over Thanksgiving weekend. It was very good. I was concerned it would be sickly sweet, but it had very little sweetness to it. You could definitely taste the ginger and had a nice little burn at the end. A great holiday beer.
I've been waiting for this report!! Glad to hear it was good. Definitely sounds like a good flavor profile for a holiday beer.

In coffee news ...
We got an espresso machine in the office. Someone in the office used to own a coffee shop, so he gave us a tutorial on how to use it. So far I have used it once and not broken it. Go me!

I also finally got my company swag (which was not in stock when I started). Very exciting stuff. There's a tshirt (which I actually got last week because I needed it for soccer because the soccer shirts were too big), a sweatshirt, and a water bottle. I am now fully branded.

Startups are fun.

Princess Half Marathon: Training Schedule Update

That's actually my planned 5K costume, but I haven't figured out my half costume yet, so this is what you get.

It's taken some time and a lot of thought, but I may have finally figured out my Princess Half Marathon training schedule.

I’ve divided the plan into two types of weeks - “A” and “B” weeks.
“A” weeks have a long run on Sunday.
“B” weeks have a shorter run and barre3 class on Sundays.

For “B” weeks, the plan is to run 30 minutes either Monday or Tuesday and 45 minutes on Wednesday, and barre3 + 50-55 minutes on Sunday (that’s how long it takes to get to barre3), for a total of 125-130 minutes and a “long run” percentage of 40-42%.
“A” weeks are where things get a bit more complicated. For the first few weeks, the plan is two weekday runs - either 45 minutes + 45 minutes or 45 minutes + 55-60 minutes. Once the long runs get longer than 100 minutes (which should be the last 2-3 runs), I’ll have to up it to 3 weekday runs - right now I’m thinking 30 minutes, 45 minutes, 45 minutes. Long run percentages will hover between 45 and 50%.

Here’s the plan as it is currently written:
Week 1 (12/2-12/8) - 3 runs, 3 barre3 classes - most of this week is already done, but that's what I get for being lazy and not getting around to posting this until Saturday night
Monday: Run, 30 minutes
Tuesday: barre3 (PM)
Wednesday: Run, 45 minutes
Thursday: barre3 (AM)
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: Run to barre3 + barre3

Week 2 (12/9-12/15) - 3 runs, 2 barre3 classes
Monday: barre3 (PM)
Tuesday: Run, 45 minutes
Wednesday: Run, 45 minutes (Mile High Run Club?)
Sunday: Run, 80 minutes

Week 3 (12/16-12/22) - 3 runs, 2 barre3 classes
Tuesday: barre3 (PM)
Sunday: 50 minutes run (no barre3 because I’m in Queens for the weekend)

Week 4 (12/23-12/29) - 3 runs, 2 barre3 classes
Monday: Run, 45 minutes
Tuesday: barre3 (AM) - I'm off from work, so I figured I'd go to the 8:30 or 9:45
Wednesday: Run, 45 minutes (MHRC?)
Thursday: barre3 (PM) - My usual 7:15 Thursday class is cancelled, so as of now I'm planning to go at night ... although I have a family thing that night that I don't know if I want to go to, so I may just end up skipping barre3 this day
Sunday: Run, 90 minutes

Week 5 (12/30-1/5) - 3 runs, 3 barre3 classes
Monday: SaltDrop (PM)
Tuesday: Run, 30 minutes
Wednesday: Run to barre3 + barre3 (I did it on New Year’s last year and I loved it so I want to do it again)

Week 6 (1/6-1/12) - 3 runs, 2 barre3 classes
Monday: Run, 45 minute (MHRC?), barre3 (PM)
Tuesday: Rest
Wednesday: Run, 60 minutes
Sunday: Run, 100 minutes

Week 7 (1/13-1/19) - 3 runs, 3 barre3 classes

Week 8 (1/20-1/26) - 4 runs, 2 barre3 classes
Tuesday: Run, 30 minutes, barre3 (PM)
Wednesday: Run, 45 minutes (MHRC)
Sunday: Run, 110 minutes

Week 9 (1/27-2/3) - 3 runs, 3 barre3 classes
Wednesday: Run, 45 minutes, SaltDrop? (PM)

Week 10 (2/4-2/9) - 4 runs, 2 barre3 classes
Tuesday: Run, 30 minutes, barre3 (PM)
Wednesday: Run, 45 minutes (MHRC)
Sunday: Run, 120 minutes

Week 11 (2/10-2/16) - 3 runs, 3 barre3 classes

Week 12 (2/17-2/23) - 3 runs, 2 barre3 classes - Race Week
Wednesday: barre3 (not sure if I want to do AM or PM)
Thursday: Rest
Friday: Princess 5K
Sunday: Princess Half Marathon

The runs will probably mostly stay as they are. Barre3 classes are always subject to change, but I want to be in the habit of either Monday or Tuesday after work and Thursday before work. I’m thinking Mile High Run Club on Wednesday of “A” (higher mileage) weeks (and mostly that's what's reflected on the schedule), but I’m still playing with that. A lot of that (and if I try new things) will depend on the ClassPass credit situation. I bought a 5-class package for SaltDrop, so I have to figure out where those fit in too (I have a few on the schedule, but they're all subject to change).

This is very much a work in progress, but it’s also a start. It’s been weird to not know where I was going with running, and while I’m certainly not holding myself to this schedule like I would with a traditional training plan, I’m happy to have a guideline all written out.

Princess Half Marathon Training - Week One Summary:

Running - 3 runs, total 6.30 miles, 2:14:26 hours
Run #1 - 2.53 miles, 32:04 minutes, 12:41 min/mi avg pace
Run #2 - 3.77 miles, 45:01 minutes, 11:56 min/mi avg pace
Run #3 - 4.34 miles, 57:21 minutes, 13:13 min/mi avg pace

barre3 - 2 classes
Class #1 - Tuesday night with Kelly
Class #2 - Thursday morning with Babette (my first class with her - she was great)
Skipped Sunday's class because of water bottle issues (long story).

20191208_081532.jpg

Took the new Pegasus 36 for their first test run today. Definitely needed my insoles (I realized that in the apartment and put them in before I went out), but mostly all good. Will take them for a long run next week.

Right now I have Mile High Run Club scheduled for Wednesdays of "A" weeks. I then have a 7:15 barre3 on Thursdays. Both of those require leaving the apartment a little earlier than usual.
As my alarm was going off at 5:35 this morning, I realized ... that's not gonna work. I can't do the super early wakeup two days in a row (yes, 5:35 is super early for me ... and yes, I know that makes me a spoiled brat or whatever other garbage people want to say about the fact that I know what sleep schedule works for me).

I'm thinking I may switch this to Mondays instead of Wednesdays. Which means tempo-ish run early in the week (MHRC is what I do instead of tempo runs these days). But also is a much more sustainable sleep schedule, since my early wakeups are better spread out and I have time to recover in between.

Something for me to think about while I'm drinking my 65,000 cups of coffee today and tomorrow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter