Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

Update:
When I went through Ebates, it showed the discounted price in my cart, but when I went to checkout, it was back to full price. So I went back to the beginning and did the whole thing through the charity miles link. It looks like the two don't work together :( Sorry to get your hopes up, @jennamfeo.

Also ... I am almost the proud owner of a White/Stainless Garmin Vivoactive 3. It should arrive in 3-8 business days. Yay!

Update:
When I went through Ebates, it showed the discounted price in my cart, but when I went to checkout, it was back to full price. So I went back to the beginning and did the whole thing through the charity miles link. It looks like the two don't work together :( Sorry to get your hopes up, @jennamfeo.

Also ... I am almost the proud owner of a White/Stainless Garmin Vivoactive 3. It should arrive in 3-8 business days. Yay!
Honestly that Charity Miles discount is enough for me. The Ebates would have just been a bonus! Congrats on that purchase!!

Honestly that Charity Miles discount is enough for me. The Ebates would have just been a bonus! Congrats on that purchase!!

Thank you!
Same here - the discount was enough for me even without the bonus cash back. I'll just have to buy all the other things to get cash back.

Yay! We're Watch Twins!!!!!

Yay! So exciting! (And hopefully @jennamfeo will be joining us soon!)

I couldn't stand it anymore. I bought mine too. Hahaha.

#peerpressure

(Also ... update to the update ... apparently I did get the cash back from Ebates, it just took a while to show up in my account. Even though I ended up going through the charity miles link. Sorry ... maybe I shouldn't have peer pressured you so much, if you had waited you might have gotten the Ebates too...)

WATCH TRIPLETS!!! WONDER POWERS UNITE!!!!

WATCH TRIPLETS!
So ... what special powers do I get from this? (Am I suddenly going to be able to bike and swim because my fellow watch triplets are both triathletes? Because let me tell you, bike riding in a skirt is not so easy, so I'm okay with not being able to do it. I do wish I was a better swimmer, though ... I kinda love swimming, even though I'm not great at it.)

So ... what special powers do I get from this? (Am I suddenly going to be able to bike and swim because my fellow watch triplets are both triathletes? Because let me tell you, bike riding in a skirt is not so easy, so I'm okay with not being able to do it. I do wish I was a better swimmer, though ... I kinda love swimming, even though I'm not great at it.)

Maybe it's time we create an athletic-wear line for the female Orthodox athlete?! Surely you can't be the only person that struggles with attire for athletic pursuits.

The key to swimming is to actually like it - and then get a coach. If you hate swimming, you'll hate drills and working to get better. But if you like swimming? You love it MORE once you start working at it. I've never felt better than after a 60-90 minute rigorous swim workout. I get hot tub time, I feel all loose and like my whole body got a workout. I LOVE the swim workout.

Maybe it's time we create an athletic-wear line for the female Orthodox athlete?! Surely you can't be the only person that struggles with attire for athletic pursuits.

I actually know people who can bike ride in skirts ... I just never was able to do it. Maybe I just need more practice. Or I need to try again in one of my running skirts.
(Also ... there are a few small companies that make athletic wear geared to Orthodox women, but it tends to be more boring and just as expensive as the skirts I buy, so I'd rather stick with the skirts I have.)

The key to swimming is to actually like it - and then get a coach. If you hate swimming, you'll hate drills and working to get better. But if you like swimming? You love it MORE once you start working at it. I've never felt better than after a 60-90 minute rigorous swim workout. I get hot tub time, I feel all loose and like my whole body got a workout. I LOVE the swim workout.

Nice.
Right now it's all a moot point since I don't have access to a pool, but if that changes ... it seems like if I get me a good coach, I could really improve my swimming a lot.
Although I'm probably going to need a coach who is used to working with beginners, because even though I'm not totally a beginner ... I can't dive. And I'm not sure I can learn. Mild childhood trauma, for which I still haven't forgiven my old camp swim instructor. So whoever has to teach me how to dive is going to need a lot of patience.
(I used to be able to do a sitting dive, but I'm not sure I can anymore - last time I tried I freaked out a little)

The cool thing about pool swims for a tri (or in general) is you're not allowed to dive! It's unsafe! So you have to jump in feet-first - but that way you can push off the wall to get yourself going!

The cool thing about pool swims for a tri (or in general) is you're not allowed to dive! It's unsafe! So you have to jump in feet-first - but that way you can push off the wall to get yourself going!

Well that's good news. Diving is stupid.

Italy Run 5M: Race Plans

Another Sunday, another race. (Seriously … this is my 3rd race in 4 Sundays, and the one Sunday I didn’t race I didn’t run at all because it was a holiday)

Date & Location:
Sunday, June 3rd, Central Park

Getting My Stuff:
Picked up my stuff at the NYRR RUNCENTER last week after work one day. I wanted to go before work, but … subways. Whatever. Picking up after work was fine. I got my bib (corral J!) and my shirt and that was it.

Outfit:
Not entirely sure. Weather is supposed to be low 60s with humidity in the mid-50s and dew point in the high 40s, so definitely short sleeves (even though that would be long sleeves for training, for races I’ve learned to switch over to short sleeves at colder temps). I don’t really have that many non-race short sleeve shirts, so … yeah.

I’m thinking maybe my black skirt and my Raw Threads mermaid shirt, but I’m not sure. It’s a little bit more low cut than I like.

The other option is my gray shirt (also a little low cut) with whatever skirt I feel like wearing … but I’m not so excited about that idea either.

The new Garmin will probably not be here by then … and even if it was, not sure I'd want to use it for a race before I start practicing with it, so this will probably be the old Garmin’s last race. I was also thinking of wearing the old 880s (which is what I wore on Sunday and will hopefully by dry by then) for their last race, but since they’re already over 400 miles, I’m not sure - I can probably get 425 out them, but in case I’m wrong, I might not want to be running in them so far from home. I may end up in the Zantes instead (although Guava Lava probably matches the mermaid shirt best, so … there’s that). I dunno. I’ll figure it out eventually.

Getting To The Race:
So … it looks like the race starts on the west side, but Race Day Central (which is where bag check is) is on the east side. So … I dunno. F is running normally to Lex & 63rd and on the Q from there, so I think my best bet may actually be to just take the F to the east side and walk.

The race starts at 8. Last race I did that started at 8, I left the house at 6:15 and got there mad early. So this time I’ll probably leave closer to 6:30 and get there closer to 7:30-7:45. I think I’ll be okay.

Race Plan & Goals:
The plan for this race is Easy/LR intervals, for an average pace of 12:46/mi. I’ve been a little slow on these runs recently, so I’m expecting a pace closer to 13:00/mi. Time goal is 1:05.

Really, the goal is to actually take it easy and not get swept up in the race excitement and stick to the plan.

Post-Race:
I'll stick around to see if I can get some Nutella and/or chocolate. Because the presenting sponsor of this race is Ferrero. And I love Nutella.

After that ...
Starbucks. Granola bar (or something of the sort). And then home. Sunday is actually the Celebrate Israel Parade (aka Israeli Day Parade), and I could march with my alma mater if I wanted to, but a) I don’t want to wait around for them to start, and b) really, I’m not as excited by the marching as I used to be. I think doing it almost every year from ages 6-20ish was probably enough.

Track Me:
My bib number is 556 (yeah, I know, if I had gotten there a few minutes earlier I would have been 555).

Live tracking is available at https://liveresults.nyrr.org/e/NYRR-ITALYRUN-2018.

Last I checked, you can’t search for me yet. Based on the last few races … you should be able to search for my bib number at some point on Saturday. Everything should work by the start of the race. I think.

And that's it.

(Also ... update to the update ... apparently I did get the cash back from Ebates, it just took a while to show up in my account. Even though I ended up going through the charity miles link. Sorry ... maybe I shouldn't have peer pressured you so much, if you had waited you might have gotten the Ebates too...)
Somehow my Ebates got activated, too. I didn't even click through. But I'll take it!

Two things:
1 - It shipped! Should arrive in 2-5 business days ... so some time next week.
2 - Did my second barre3 class today. Didn't almost pass out. I kept things at my level. I knew today wasnt the the day for me to plank, so I took my planks to the barre. I kept my squats and lunges relatively high. I barely used the weights. I struggled a bit with what to do with the ball (there were points where I didnt know whether or not to keep it under my back/hips). But mostly, it was good, and I liked it. Especially because the motto is basically "you do you," which is really something I'm passionate about. I'll be back (I'm already scheduled for a class on June 11th). Also ... my instructor kept checking up on me, and when I told her it was only my second class, she said I did really well. Yay!

So glad you got that watch! (Sorry, I’m totally behind.)

Yeah, train problems again.

I’m sitting on a delayed Acela as I read this. I feel you.

But when you do good things, good things happen to you, and I think that my fancy trophy was a reward for me helping someone else.

I totally believe this!! Congratulations to you and THANK you for making it a specia moment for another runner!

So glad you got that watch! (Sorry, I’m totally behind.)

Thank you! (And no worries ... I'm always behind on everything)

I’m sitting on a delayed Acela as I read this. I feel you.

Grr. I mean, Acela is probably more comfortable than the subway at least, but still ... grr. Why can't trains just run on time???

I totally believe this!! Congratulations to you and THANK you for making it a specia moment for another runner!

Thank you! I'm really glad that I was able to help this other runner, it really was such a special experience for me!

So ... what do we think about running the same 4th of July 5k I ran last year? (I'm scheduled for 3.5 miles that day, so I can for sure make it work with the plan)

Also ... does anyone think I might have a race addiction problem?

The first step is always admitting you have a problem, but if you have a problem then I definitely do too. If I lived where you lived, I sign up for all the races as well! We don't have many here during the summer due to the heat. I say sign up!

1 - It shipped! Should arrive in 2-5 business days ... so some time next week.
Mine shipped today! And Bay is super excited because I got her a new band for her Vivoactive Jr. So she is worse than I am with the "Has it shipped yet? Is it here yet?"

The first step is always admitting you have a problem, but if you have a problem then I definitely do too. If I lived where you lived, I sign up for all the races as well! We don't have many here during the summer due to the heat. I say sign up!
THIS. I actually signed up for the NYRR Global Running Day Virtual 1 miler just so I could feel like I was doing something with my race life. Haha. Not having a race until September is the pits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter