• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Life’s too short...to never sleep in a treehouse! 8/27 TR is up! Link in siggie

I have heard awesome things about Tony's Breakfast. Tony is the guy from Lady & Tramp who gives them the spaghetti dinner. :thumbsup2 If you go over to the restaurant board there are reviews of the grand gatherings I believe. We were going to go with a big group and we had decided on Tony's after ready reviews and such, it's a nice experience for 1 TS.

That's good to hear, I nosed around on there but didn't see anything, need to go look again a little deeper I guess.

IF I were going to do any of them, I'd agree with LL and do the Tony's for 1TS...the other ones just don't seem to justify using 2TS....

Okay, that sounds like 2 votes for far for the Tony's GG bfast over Cape May...This will impact our dinner ADR's so is important lol!

Here's my take on Cape May Breakfast. We had good character interaction, as we were seated near the end of breakfast and there really weren't that many people there. The food is serviceable, not memorable. I would've preferred a Character meal inside one of the theme parks. It just feels different....hard to explain. For the kids, it probably makes NO difference.

Too funny-I had your same reaction when I was reading -Who the heck is Aunt Roz?...:confused3

I'd have to go with LL and Jordan...I ate at Tony's some time ago for breakfast when they still did that with Em-we enjoyed it...It's pretty in there and a nice place to begin the day...

I'd also go for it over Cape May for breakfast...

“I finally got my t-shirt. I jumped up and hit my head on a bar, OW!!
My dad said I should have gotten a concussion and my brother practically laughed his head off.”

What a great story. I love that he said "should have" instead of "could have". My fear is that it wasn't a misquote!

Great story! I had to laugh at his metaphor in saying his brother almost laughed his head off. HA! How ironic that he almost knocked his own off.

NICK is for the boys.... Repeat after me...

So, you sucked Sandie in, huh! You evil temptress you!

3 adults in a mod? Good deal?? That's exactly what we're hoping for!

Last year for our GG, I wasn't tempted by any of those "extras". Seems like another Disney way of gauging the public. I certainly would NOT spend 2TS on one. You're right, too many other 1 TS credit places to go to. As far as booking them, I think you're right; I doubt they fill up very fast. Of course I could be wrong, but that's just my gut feeling.

Here's my take on Cape May Breakfast. We had good character interaction, as we were seated near the end of breakfast and there really weren't that many people there. The food is serviceable, not memorable. I would've preferred a Character meal inside one of the theme parks. It just feels different....hard to explain. For the kids, it probably makes NO difference.

That makes sense..and great point!

Too funny-I had your same reaction when I was reading -Who the heck is Aunt Roz?...:confused3

I'd have to go with LL and Jordan...I ate at Tony's some time ago for breakfast when they still did that with Em-we enjoyed it...It's pretty in there and a nice place to begin the day...

I'd also go for it over Cape May for breakfast...

Tony's...winning by a landslide...

What a great story. I love that he said "should have" instead of "could have". My fear is that it wasn't a misquote!

Glenbo!

:welcome:

Nope, definitely not a misquote. Although I was not there I am QUITE sure it was "should have"

:rotfl:

Great story! I had to laugh at his metaphor in saying his brother almost laughed his head off. HA! How ironic that he almost knocked his own off.

NICK is for the boys.... Repeat after me...

So, you sucked Sandie in, huh! You evil temptress you!

3 adults in a mod? Good deal?? That's exactly what we're hoping for!

Last year for our GG, I wasn't tempted by any of those "extras". Seems like another Disney way of gauging the public. I certainly would NOT spend 2TS on one. You're right, too many other 1 TS credit places to go to. As far as booking them, I think you're right; I doubt they fill up very fast. Of course I could be wrong, but that's just my gut feeling.

Evil temptress...that's me.

Somehow I don't think Evan was trying to put the metaphor in there but boy, can I completely picture the scene as he described it. He must not have hit that hard if I didn't find out about it until this week! They certainly didn't mention it when it happened, we caught up with them maybe 1/2 hour after it would have happened and not a peep. All I heard was how AWESOME EE was the 2nd time.

I wish there were more GG offerings. The night ones just don't seem worth the TS...just like eating at a signature isn't worth 2TS. But I am leaning towards Tony's for the breakfast. I imagine that it wouldn't be as crowded as some of the other character bfasts and assuming I can even get the crew UP in the am...it would be a good fit.

I do think 3 adults in a mod is a killer deal for FD. The room costs only a little bit more than the value of the plan. I mean for us, we love the DDP and would want to do it regardless, it saved us money last year even paying for it OOP and we bought the plan with our 4/3 room deal. FD is an even better deal for us.

So in our scenario last year we saved 43% off of our room with the 4/3 deal but then had to buy DDP OOP which brought the total package discount back up to 35%. Still a good deal.

This year we will save 69% on the package. Which allows us to go deluxe. Having all (DDP) adults in the package makes a HUGE difference.

Your scenario is even better, you save 81% on your package. Take the DDP costs out and you are getting your room for only $31 a day. 10 bucks each! Granted, I'm not included ticket prices as they are somewhat of a fixed cost and you only need a 1 day pass to get FD I think. Maybe 2.

This may be overstating things...Disney says the plan is $47 for adults but it looks more like $43 but still. A good deal.

I wish the Dis worked like TiVo. I'd really like to pause it for a bit so I could keep up! What a great story from Evan. The boy's got voice in spades. Must get it from his Momma.:goodvibes

Gorgeous mountains, thanks for the pictoral. My DH and his family did oodles of western trips including lots of hiking and I know he'd like to get us all back in the mountains some day.

Hope your Nick rates fall, and congrats on the mini van.

I wish the Dis worked like TiVo. I'd really like to pause it for a bit so I could keep up! What a great story from Evan. The boy's got voice in spades. Must get it from his Momma.:goodvibes

Gorgeous mountains, thanks for the pictoral. My DH and his family did oodles of western trips including lots of hiking and I know he'd like to get us all back in the mountains some day.

Hope your Nick rates fall, and congrats on the mini van.

Oh I wish the DIS worked like that too! I get so behind sometimes on TR's and PTR's. It helps so much when people put dates or pages or both, at least then I know just how lost I will be once I get there :lmao:

Evan does have his own voice, and LOVES to use it, no doubt about it!

The mental image of the grandparents having to spend ten nights in a Rugrats-themed room had me rolling!! :rotfl:

Kathy

The mental image of the grandparents having to spend ten nights in a Rugrats-themed room had me rolling!! :rotfl:

Kathy

Oh goodness, I couldn't take 10 days in that place! it's only 4 but UGH...NO RUGRATS!

Right now they are just coming for 6, all at the YC :)

Okay, consider me dense. Can you spell out how you arrived at that percentage??!! Cuz, frankly, I just don't get it!

First, a small moment from me.
While thinking about food..and hitting the grocery store last night, I happened upon a great price on Ahi medallions. Which made me think of this

WDW_090216_0221.jpg

The BEST Tuna Noodle Casserole in the world. AKA Uncle Charlies, from PTC.
Uncle Charlie's Grilled Tuna Casserole - classic creamy casserole with egg noodles, peppers, mushrooms, onions, carrots, and celery topped with grilled tuna steak and crunchy bread crumbs

I have attempted to duplicate this once before and while it was a tasty effort, and it really didn’t taste like Uncle Charlies. Good in it’s one way though.

So last night…in my Sandie provided Donna Reed meets Anthropolgie apron,
I concocted this effort. Which didn't photograph all that well.

IMG_3324-1.jpg

IMG_3325.jpg

This was the boys servings, they ate earlier than we did and I didn’t have my searing down quite right on my griddler (too lazy to take the cover off of the grill for these small pieces). I did much better on our Ahi!

MUCH closer to the real thing but not perfect. Not quite. Very yummy though. So if anyone (hint hint) happens to go to PTC and wants to ask for a recipie card for me, that would be supremely cool. It’s still missing something. Supposedly they have them if you ask but that could just be a rumour! It is not on all ears or any of the other recipe sites.

On the job front, no real update except for some BIG things seem close to popping for the current job which would be incredible. 2 of them would be HUGE for my company soo….fingers crossed!

Granted none of it would pay me for a while but….it’d be worth waiting for so, we will see.

Faith and Fate.

Moments.

And with that, now that deposits are in fact made, we turn to truly important things. Or at least things that are far more fun to think about then which music store I should rent a trombone from. Lord help us, Evan is playing the trombone. Actually he seems to be a natural at the brass and exceptionally natural with the trombone. I would have NEVER picked the trombone as being the one that spoke to him. He’s a huge jazz fan, we own a trumped and I assumed trumpet or sax. But no. It’s the trombone. When asked why he had some very good reasons.
  • He likes the way it feels to hold better.
  • He likes the deeper sound better
  • He likes the fact that you have to blow the hardest (compared to the trumpet).
Ah hah. Makes sense. Blowhard. That's my kid.

The ADR wish list.
Which I calculate as 2/28/2010. Comment away! I only have 11 months to change things! Well really 5. 5 for ADR’s….

Here is my question though. We arrive in Orlando on 8/23. We aren’t at YC until 8/27 but I have 2 meals planned at WDW locations during our Nick stays. How will this work for ADR’s? Not an issue for the first night as both of those locations take direct reservations but…Cali Grill?

This is a rough plan based on park days from 08. Which interestingly enough seems to identical to the EMH schedule we had on our last trip, the only difference is we are one day short so we miss an AK EMH evening entirely (assuming days stay the same which is debatable). AK will be open 2 hours later than it was in Feb when we went so it’s really not that much of a difference.

Saturday, August 22, 2009 red eye flight out at night
Sunday, August 23, 2009 arrive, boardwalk bakery? check in, pool time, nap, hit the Nick Kids Spa, shop DTD, Dinner:Paradiso 37 or HOB.
Monday, August 24, 2009 Park: Universal Studios breakfast in room, pack lunch, Dinner:Margaritaville at Universal City Walk.
Tuesday, August 25, 2009 Day: The Lagoon Pool (Water Park) breakfast in room, lunch in room or at Lagoon Pool Bar,Dinner: Adults and teens only at Cali Grill OOP E's at Nick after dark "club"
Wednesday, August 26, 2009 Park: Islands of Adventure (Harry Potter!) breakfast room, lunch Mythos Dinner:Latin Quarter, Emerils or Pastamore at City Walk
Thursday, August 27, 2009 move to Disney, DDP starts
Thursday, August 27, 2009 Day: Check in, MK/resort breakfast in room, lunch QS @ Hurricane Hannahs, Dinner:Kouzzina (Cape May, Turf Club backups)
Friday, August 28, 2009Park: Epcot, breakfast in room, lunch WS QS, Dinner:Les Chefs or Tokyo Dining (Le Cellier backup)
Saturday, August 29, 2009 Park: AK, breakfast in room, Lunch AK QS @ Yak & Yeti, Dinner:Sanaa (Tusker House backup)
Sunday, August 30, 2009, Park: MK YC, Breakfast Tony's GG, Lunch MK QS CHH (if I get my way) Dinner: Ohana (The Wave backup)
Monday, August 31, 2009 Park: DHS, breakfast in room, lunch QS @ BC marketplace, Dinner: Fantasmic package Mama Melrose (Les Chefs or Tokyo Dining backup)
Tuesday, September 01, 2009 Park: MK, Breakfast Kona OOP, Lunch MK QS, Dinner: The Wave (Ohana backup)
Wednesday, September 02, 2009 Group Choice Park, travel home, evening flight! Breafkast and lunch use up snack and QS credits!

Check it out. On top of everyone here selling me on the Tony’s breakfast, I finally found some reviews (why is it google can find me the right DIS threads but the DIS search engine can’t?) you get these! Or at least you did. Hopefully we still will when we go.
MagicKingdom11113.jpg

Now I know I may get some questionable feedback from everyone regarding Mama Melrose’s. Jeff really wants to eat there and so IF I can get a Fantasmic Package, that is where we will eat. We’ve done Sci Fi and PTC, Brown Derby is 2 TS which I don’t want to do and I have zero desire for H&V. So, we will see.

Some of you may ask…why is LeCellier only on there as a back up? Well…2 reasons. 1 it is going to be SO hot that a big steak dinner just doesn’t really sound all that great. 2 I think I want to try the Turf Club for that, given it’s reviews and the greater likelihood of getting it. However I think it will be a bit of a pita to get to from the YC. It was a “for sure” ADR if we were at THV and I’m having a hard time giving it up.

Cue Kouzzina. It has HORRIBLE reviews so far. So did Sanaa for the first few months. It will be open for over a year by the time we go. I like the menu. Kendall and Taylor might not but I think that’s the farthest I’d push them, I know they will like everything else.

I’d love to do the Boardwalk, we didn’t see it at all last trip. I’ve eaten at
the Big River Brewery and Grill and that could be a back up as well instead of Cape May Turf Club. It was ok but Doug would like it so…dunno. It’s the first night so, an important choice! It would seem odd to stay at YC and not eat at Cape May at all but on the flip side, if we don’t hit the bakery earlier in the week and skip Kouzzina, we’ll never see the boardwalk and I am positive only Jeff and I remember what it is like and think the group would really enjoy it.

I am ENTIRELY amused that my beloved husband has discovered his own fuzzy Disney Math. By doing this trip he HAS to build his plane faster so he can do transitioning while we are there. It would save SO much money (according to him).

See and here I was looking at that training as an excuse for another trip. But then that would mess with the BFP for DLP in ’11. So it’s all for the best.

next...
Prayers needed

oooo I like the BFP the Great BFP - getting grander!! :yay: for you!!

I hear you on the ressies - I know since we are staying at BCV I like to take advantage of the restaurants nearby! Then we can head back to the villa, or over to Epcot - with the SAB I'm thinking weather permitting, dd will want to get some time in there!!

I'm debating not doing LeCellier - its such a long wait passed your adr time, and the steaks arent that good - the soup yes, but the wait? :confused3

we ate at Mama Melrose for the Fantasmic Pkg - and I liked the food, was very upset with the service - but the service was better for the Grand Gatherers ( automatic tip maybe?)

Like the pins for Tony's, again, IF I could've talked the internet group into doing this as a grand gathering, I'd do it!!

btw I just read a review of the QS for Yak and Yeti - I'll look for it and post the link...

Here's a link with pics from MSB (just the cinnabun) the Columbia Harbor House ($8 tuna sandwich! YIKES! Convinced me DDP was for me!!) and then Kona - sticky wings! now how can I add Kona??? lol
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=33715875&postcount=40

and Yak and Yeti - I also got the Honey Chicken, I was NOT impressed, I wont be going back! But this reviewer loved it!!
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=33681644&postcount=70

I love all of your ADR choices. I'll admit I wanted to do the Tony's breakfast partly for the pins too. :lmao: I wouldn't worry too much about the Kouzzina reviews. Heck! It's Cat Cora, it's going to get better. They just have to work all the kinks out I bet.

Kouzzina is on my list of potential ADRs as well, as a maybe. (Currently my list is SciFi Dine-In, Le Chefs, Boma, and Teppan Edo) I'm willing to try it, and I'll probably run it by my roommate - as the other half of my trip, I'm planning to sit her down on the DIS to look through menus and tell me anything she wants to try (she hasn't bee to the World since 2000 :scared1:)

Le Cellier is also a back-up for me, but only half-heartedly, as I wouldn't be heartbroken if we don't get it!

Sometimes I wonder if the only reason Le Chefs made the cut is cause they have crepes on their dessert menu :rotfl2:

Okay, consider me dense. Can you spell out how you arrived at that percentage??!! Cuz, frankly, I just don't get it!

One word.

Excel.

LOL! Sure, I'll PM you

oooo I like the BFP the Great BFP - getting grander!! :yay: for you!!

I hear you on the ressies - I know since we are staying at BCV I like to take advantage of the restaurants nearby! Then we can head back to the villa, or over to Epcot - with the SAB I'm thinking weather permitting, dd will want to get some time in there!!

I'm debating not doing LeCellier - its such a long wait passed your adr time, and the steaks arent that good - the soup yes, but the wait? :confused3

we ate at Mama Melrose for the Fantasmic Pkg - and I liked the food, was very upset with the service - but the service was better for the Grand Gatherers ( automatic tip maybe?)

Like the pins for Tony's, again, IF I could've talked the internet group into doing this as a grand gathering, I'd do it!!

btw I just read a review of the QS for Yak and Yeti - I'll look for it and post the link...

Here's a link with pics from MSB (just the cinnabun) the Columbia Harbor House ($8 tuna sandwich! YIKES! Convinced me DDP was for me!!) and then Kona - sticky wings! now how can I add Kona??? lol
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=33715875&postcount=40

and Yak and Yeti - I also got the Honey Chicken, I was NOT impressed, I wont be going back! But this reviewer loved it!!
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=33681644&postcount=70

We ate at Yak and Yeti on our last trip and everyone liked it, I did not get the Honey Chicken but Kendall did, and liked it. It didn't look like something I'd like though. I would like to go to Flame Tree but in August? BBQ? Ugh. I don't think so. We will, it will be a play it by ear.

I really want to get that tuna sandwich at CHH! The gang liked Cosmic Rays but I'll pass on that if I can.

I love all of your ADR choices. I'll admit I wanted to do the Tony's breakfast partly for the pins too. :lmao: I wouldn't worry too much about the Kouzzina reviews. Heck! It's Cat Cora, it's going to get better. They just have to work all the kinks out I bet.

See, that's exactly what I figure about Kouzzina. Sanaa didn't do well at first either.

Kouzzina is on my list of potential ADRs as well, as a maybe. (Currently my list is SciFi Dine-In, Le Chefs, Boma, and Teppan Edo) I'm willing to try it, and I'll probably run it by my roommate - as the other half of my trip, I'm planning to sit her down on the DIS to look through menus and tell me anything she wants to try (she hasn't bee to the World since 2000 :scared1:)

Le Cellier is also a back-up for me, but only half-heartedly, as I wouldn't be heartbroken if we don't get it!

Sometimes I wonder if the only reason Le Chefs made the cut is cause they have crepes on their dessert menu :rotfl2:

I like your list! I've eaten at all of those except for LesChefs. Which isn't on it for the crepes....I love french bistro food in general and there is that rodent! I want to see the rat. And have french onion soup....and red wine....maybe some pomme frites...and then of course

Crepes.

I :love: crepes.

I hadn't had then in YEARS and then last May Jeff and I went to San Diego for a date weekend. We had an amazing brunch and they had...

crepes.

A crepe BAR. Made to order.

I went back.

More than once.

:)

I think the gang may balk and push for Tokyo Dining OR Teppan. Of course that assumes I let them have input.

Actually Evan helped pick our entire ADR list and then Jeff had veto power last time. I love Teppan but I really want to do somewhere new and I know Sandie would love the ambiance at Les Chefs. We will see!

You know....I was thinking...

What if you did a Girls lunch at Chefs and the boys went to Teppan or Tokyo Dining? I bet Sandie would just love the idea of a girls lunch....who knows. I'm just thinking out loud. Might be a way to keep the boys happy. :rotfl2:

Those ahi casserole whatchamacallit yumminess looked divine!! Man, I could go for some of that RIGHT NOW! I think it looked esp. good because we had leftovers. Go figure...

So DH is doing the math- good for him, better for you!

HA! A blowhard. Too funny! :lmao:

Congrats on deps. being made!! Great feeling that is, isn't it! Now, I guess I should pay maroo back, but she says not to yet; that things may change; ya THINK?! :rotfl2:

Great updates!!

First,about the Grand Gatherings experiences!

We did the Illuminations Dinner in 08. It was a wonderful experience!! It was a buffet dinner with all different types of international cuisine, not your typical disney buffet. There was a DJ and and MC. Aunt Roz is the MC, she annouces birthdays and special occasions and goofs around. There is dance party for everyone with Minnie and Goofy including a conga line! It was really a lot of fun.

After dinner and dancing we were escorted to our own private viewing area for Illuminations! In the viewing area they a dessert buffet with all sorts of treats set up!

We had a GREAT spot for illuminations!! We were really front row, center! Which is how Illuminations is meant to be viewed. The show is all oriented toward Spaceship Earth, so if your looking at Illuminations with Spaceship Earth to your back you have the best spot. That's where our viewing area was!

I highly recommend doing it if you can!

We didn't do the Tony's breakfast so I can't speak to that! We did the Wishes Pirate Cruise thing thats open to everyone now, that was a lot of fun too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter