LGB or SNA???

nutshell

Oh, Disney!
So I have reservations and tickets all lined up, but now I need to know whether I should fly into LGB or SNA.

Here are the options:

LGB via JetBlue: $590 (SuperShuttle for 4: $62)

SNA via Southwest: $704 (Disneyland Express: $48)

Obviously, the LGB option is cheaper, but I know SNA is closer and has the DL Express. What does everyone thinK? These prices are for four tickets from Sacramento. Does anyone think I can get a better deal somewhere else?

I would go to LGB (it's only like 3 miles farther away from DLR). Is the price for supershuttle round trip? If so, then that sounds fine. Otherwise, the four of you could take a mini-van cab for about $40 each way.

We've used each airport once before, and each has its conveniences.

SNA is larger, and the car rental agencies and cars are all right there at the airport. It was very quick and easy to get our bags and hop in the car and go. Also there are plenty of places to eat at SNA, good for grabbing magazines, newspapers, snacks, espresso also.

LGB is a much smaller airport, very easy to get in and out of, no big terminal to wander around in. You literally walk off the plane onto an outdoor ramp, walk out to the small baggage claim area, then walk a few more steps to the curb for pick-up by a cab/shuttle. We had a little trouble with a cranky ticket agent, but other than that it was fine.

Even though it cost me a bit more, I'm flying into SNA this next trip, mainly because there was a better selection of flight times.

I am a serious Jet Blue fan, and will fly them whenever possible. I flew to Long Beach on my way to a convention in Anaheim. The shuttle ride from the airport was really easy (and we were even starting to see some rush hour traffic).

So I have reservations and tickets all lined up, but now I need to know whether I should fly into LGB or SNA.

Here are the options:

LGB via JetBlue: $590 (SuperShuttle for 4: $62)

SNA via Southwest: $704 (Disneyland Express: $48)

Obviously, the LGB option is cheaper, but I know SNA is closer and has the DL Express. What does everyone thinK? These prices are for four tickets from Sacramento. Does anyone think I can get a better deal somewhere else?

We are also flying from Sacramento. For 3 of us on SW our total came to right around 400. We always fly into SNA, I just know the airport a lot better so I guess it's a comfort thing. That's pretty big price difference though..I'll have to check into jetblue on our next trip.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm leaning towards LBG on JetBlue (although SNA has more times available).

I fly into Orange County frequently and the best way to do it is via SNA. It's a very small airport though not as small as Long Beach it's still miniscule compared to other hubs. There are plenty of flights in and out and you have better transportation options to get to the Disneyland "Resort."

It's actually almost a 6 mile difference from Long Beach and those 6 miles are horrible. Avoid the dreaded 405 (traffic 24/7) and stick to Orange County.
John Wayne is a piece of cake to get in and out of since it spits you out onto the 55 fwy which takes you to the 5 fwy which has it's own Disneyland exit. Coming back you come the same way and once again the 55 spits you out at the airport without having to contend with the evil 405. Those extra miles also add quite a bit to your shuttle service costs.

I spent the greater portion of my life in Orange County and I can assure you John Wayne is the better airport to use for your travel. Once you factor in shuttle costs and the time you lose traveling via Long Beach you'll find that the price gap is much more minimal and the convenience is well worth it IMHO.

That being said $100 is still $100. Still I always figure in Long Beach when booking travel to Orange County and it's typically $15 to $30 more per ticket and that additional cost is usually offset by the lower shuttle fees.

We fly Oakland to Long Beach all the time on Jet Blue and love it! It is so easy to get in and out. It is only about a 20-30 minute ride to the resort.

For that price difference I would book Jet Blue out of LB and spend the extra cash in DL!!!

When I flew into LGB, the cab driver never got on the freeway, just drove surface streets. I think we took Hansen straight up to Harbor, and got there pretty quickly, and according to mapquest it is approx. 14 miles from airport to DLR.

I've taken PrimeTime Shuttle back from LGB once, and the driver had the good sense to take Wardlow Road/Ball Road rather than take the 405. We'll be flying JetBlue out of LGB next week but will just drive there ourselves.

When I flew into LGB, the cab driver never got on the freeway, just drove surface streets. I think we took Hansen straight up to Harbor, and got there pretty quickly, and according to mapquest it is approx. 14 miles from airport to DLR.

14 miles in most places at any time of the day...about 14 minutes.
14 miles in orange county and most times of the day...FOREVER.

I hope you chose flat fee. There is more driving involved with taking side streets to Anaheim rather than the freeway. Some base their fares on distance and time and side streets are a good way to add additional dollars.

On a trafficless day, a cab drive from Disneyland to John Wayne takes about 10 minutes. 8 if he has a lead foot. It's roughly $10 cheaper to take a cab from SNA than it is from LGB.

It's always quicker to take the freeway.

I hope you chose flat fee. There is more driving involved with taking side streets to Anaheim rather than the freeway.

Not necessarily. During rush hour, you can make much better time on surface streets rather than getting on the "dreaded 405" where you can sit at a dead stop while the meter runs and runs. . .

But to answer your question, yes, I had a flat fee. The taxis at the airport must provide a flat fee to the DLR area because they are under contract with the Airport to provide that. Of course, on the way back to the airport, you have to negotiate to get a flat fee (which I have done quite successfully).

I love SNA and usually fly into there since it's so close but I would do the cheaper option.

dangermouse...i see you live in arizona. did you live in orange county in the past or something?

SNA is the only airport I ever fly into...no matter what the cost.

dangermouse...i see you live in arizona. did you live in orange county in the past or something?

I've never lived in Orange County, just flown in several times.

SNA is the only airport I ever fly into...no matter what the cost.

That's your perrogative. I've flown into both SNA and LGB and never had a problem with either. Both have suited me and my family's needs just fine. I usually choose the cheapest airfare. Every penny saved is a penny toward another DLR trip! :thumbsup2 :goodvibes

It takes the same amount of time to take side streets as it does to take the freeway. Yes, the 405 can take longer if there is an accident but speaking from experience (I'm a former 405 driver) taking side streets is a good way to add 15 minutes to your trip at least. Yeah you're not rolling along at 10 miles per hour (if there's a tail wind) but all side streets do is give the illusion that you're getting there faster.

I used to make a pretty quick trip by myself. Car services can use the carpool lane and get there quicker.

What makes me a pseudo expert? I used to deliver hardware all over Southern California and I zipped back and forth between Anaheim and Long Beach daily and I always passed Long Beach airport. I had to get where I was going in the fastest and most efficient manner. It's substantially easier to get from the Radisson Maingate (former client) to my offices in Irvine (next to John Wayne airport) than it was to get from the Radisson to Worthington Ford which was very close to the Long Beach airport.

There is nothing wrong with using Long Beach and it certainly can save you a few dollars here and there. I guess I'm just so jaded from frequent travel that $20 here and there is worth it for me to be comfortable.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and the Long Beach option is a good one if you're trying to save on airfare. I just want people to be aware that there are ways to make SNA just as cost effective.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Again, thanks to all those who have posted.

Another thing I'm considering is the flight times.

SNA: Arrive 10:15am Monday / Depart 8:00pm Friday

LGB: Arrive 12:30am Monday / Depart 3:00pm Friday

I know it's only a total difference of about 7 hours, but that's time that could be spent at DLR. Also, with the difference in shuttle prices I'd only be saving about $50 if I go to LGB. Finally, it seems both offer relatively easy access to DLR, but SNA does have a bit of an edge.

Decisions! Decisions!

Based on the arrival and departure times, I'd fly into SNA and spend a few more hours at Disneyland!!! Like others here, I've used both airports and like them both. If Jet Blue flew into SNA life would be almost perfect! I love the Jet Blue airline but if I only had to pick one airport, it would be SNA. Supper Shuttle is only $10.00 per person from SNA to DLR so that should save you $16.00 round trip...enough for 5 churros! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts