Let's talk dashcams

jbrostek

DIS Veteran
Over the past few years I have noticed more and more aggressive driving and at least one attempt of insurance fraud someone jumped into the lane in front of me and locked up their brakes at 70mph. Defensive driving and some skill I was able to avoid the accident, and it got me thinking about what happens when towing and I cannot be as evasive.

So last summer I bought a relatively cheap dashcam of the Kingslim D4 for around 120 bucks. It is a 4k camera, allows for lots of memory, decent rear camera. However, now a year later it seems to be having issues. I do plan to replace it but I would love to hear what others have considered or chosen to use.

Right now my top replacement picks is the Vantrue X4S Duo 2 channel system with front and rear camera or the Rove R3 or R2-4k for front only. I would love to hear what others are thinking.

Last edited:
I thought about that. But also liked the idea of not having to think about it each time and forget the mount, ;)

I guess not many have adopted one yet. A friend has the vantrue and likes it. Changing Lanes on youtube likes their and and now new one. I see reviews of it and the rove are similar so I guess I just need to decide and pull the trigger.

My first dash cam was a Garmin Dash Cam 55, ($199.99-no longer available through Amazon). The reviews were good, but all warned about updating the firmware to avoid shutdown due to heat. That was the first thing I did when I got it. I installed it before our trip from MD to Florida in Aug 2017. It captured the full trip from our home near Baltimore to Ashland VA. I was actually pretty impressed with the video and audio quality. That was the good. The bad, It never turned on again. Rebooting, attached power, battery only, changed cards. Nothing worked. I sent it back. Too bad because I liked the camera but not much good if it won't turn on.
I replaced it with the KdLinks 2.7K Super HD Dash Cam, ($129.95). This has been a steady performer but I don't think the video is amazing (maybe just my perception?). The audio is definitely not as good as the Garmin was. But again, this one turns on every time. Neither of them had a rear camera, but I don't really need one as they both were permanently installed in the coach.

The king slim turns on every time. But I think there is a glitch in their memory card driver. The card is fine I can read it on a PC. But many times it sits in a "preparing" state and not recording for the entire drive. I think before I spend anymore I should contact them as they seem to be one of the responsive companies.

On the low cost side (119) the Rove R2-4k would probably do great, I was just looking at something front and rear camera only really. I guess I don't need the rear camera, most of the time when towing there is nothing to look at back there.

Well my current one has a wired rear camera that I have high in the rear window. It can see a lot when the trailer isn't there. If I replace it I guess I really don't need a rear facing. I could see yours needing a very long cable or tap into your rear camera output.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter