Let's Talk BBQ Sauce

rideswithchrist

DIS Veteran
Sjm9911 got me thinking about regional BBQ sauce. I went to HEB (grocery) the other day to get sauce for instant pot bbq chicken and they had a row with different regions- Memphis, Tennessee, etc and I had no clue what the differences were! My mom is from Minnesota, so she made her sauce with onion, tomato sauce (or ketchup) brown sugar and a bit of mustard. I have never liked sauces, but maybe I just don't like TEXAS Sauce?

What goes for BBQ sauce in your area? I think we are going to buy every flavor and grill a bunch of chicken tenders and give it a go haha.

Ikr, there all a bit diffrent. Some are more viniger baised, some are ketchup based. I do the same geta bunch and try them out. I used to like KC masterpiece as a base for stuff but now i can't find it. I loath the honey flavored ones. I usally add some mesquite type dry rub on top of the sause. And , a good way to get rid of stuff you dont like is to use the slow cooker. Add the BBQ sause you dont like and some onions , and pork or chicken. Cook all day on low and you have pulled pork or chicken. The BBQ sause looses its flavor after cooking out all day. Then add what sause you do like to the chicken and pork and done.

We have a very regional brand called Maulls that I grew up on and love. It is vinegar based, so it isn't as sweet as the national/commercial brands. I have brought it to the DIS Meets and will have Lil' Smokies or hamburgers/hot dogs covered in it.

They used to have a fun tag line.

Don't baste your BBQ... Maull it!

j

Being from TX- I have eaten at Stubbs :)

I found that our store brand Carolina sauce with mustard in it is my current favorite (Even betyer than the TX one! ) I can’t have MSG and I prefer to avoid High Frictose Corn Syrup, so we don’t use Rays as often, but but sure is good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter