Let's speculate... what will the new (Disney) normal look like?

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
So, let's fast forward to sometime 2022 (which is realistically the earliest things will be "back to normal"). What do you think the new normal will look like for Disney? What cuts do you think will be permanent? What will return? What, if any, of the current measures in place (masks, distancing, reduced capacity, virtual queues, temperature screens, barrier screens) do you think will stay? Do you think fireworks and parades will return to the old normal of jam-packed crowds, or will they try and put distancing measures in place? And if so, what would that possibly look like?

As an aside, has your town/province said anything about what their "new normal" will be? I know in New Brunswick they have already said that even once the province has returned to green, and Covid is no longer an issue, from now on, it will be mandatory for all people to wear masks in public when sick.

I think this will entirely depend on the vaccines and how soon they will be prevalent. Alternately if there were a way for there to be a way to test guests to ensure that they truly not affected (not false negative) and covid free before entering the park --- so easy, fast, smart and reliable early tests will be key.... (temp checks, 3 day ago tests, etc... are essentially worthless really.)

Once it's possible to have a crowd without worry then that will be when fireworks/parades come back. That only happens after the majority takes vaccines.... At this point who knows.... only 60% are saying they'll take the vaccine.

I'm in Ontario, I work in a long term care home and while we have remained covid free at my workplace the whole time I'm feeling pretty hopeless that things will ever "go back to normal" but I think that's just fatigue talking... as for Disney I really hope parades and fireworks return...we were hoping to go to Disney this year but we are waiting til it's safer and more of the "magic" is back, I would not be surprised if plexiglass barriers remain in place in the parks and if during normal cold/flu season parks run at reduced capacity for at least a few years, I can see things like the requirement for park pass/theme park reservations staying and mobile ordering for food becoming the norm.... I'm praying Magical Express returns even if it's no longer free, I hope fastpass comes back as well, I can handle having to wear a mask in the parks...it honestly feels weird to me during the odd time when I'm not wearing one these days lol it feels like forgetting my glasses... I feel like even if covid numbers have decreased dramatically a year from now.... it's going to take the world as a whole several years to recover from this...not just in terms of the economy but psychologically as well

I think as more and more Americans get vaccinated, Disney will start opening more in Fl at least . I would guess by summer you will see fireworks and parades . A lot of people that have gone once seem to say it was great but they won’t go back until..and Disney loves the return visitors ( bounce back offers, dvc etc )
I do think a lot of things that were free will come at a cost. I think they will go to a max pass system like DL. I don’t know we will see dining plans again, at least not at a cost where it can be a cost saver.
I think they will add more after hours events and maybe those will be fireworks nights. Can control crowds and make more money . For them win -win.
I think masks might be around a lot longer than we think/hope. Whether that happens in FL or not ??personally I know my family will remain vigilant for a while, while traveling . Maybe I’m vain but I can’t be the only one who wonders what mask tan lines look like ? I’ve always gotten some colour even in December .
Just my guesses .

Maybe I’m vain but I can’t be the only one who wonders what mask tan lines look like ? I’ve always gotten some colour even in December .
Just my guesses .

I wondered that too... Now mind you I burn so a part of my face shielded from the sun might work out? But then I'd better be on my sunscreen game for the part that is in the sun.

I don’t know we will see dining plans again, at least not at a cost where it can be a cost saver.
Think the dining plan - at least counter service - will be back this summer. Then free dining - again at least counter service - will be offered for some limited Sept and Dec dates for value and mods. A money maker for Disney as most families can't maximize the true value and volume of all the credits. Also pushes guests to pay full rack rate at the values and moderates. Whether table service plan will be offered this year uncertain because of COVID. But possible for late fall depending on vaccine roll out. They need to open up those socially distanced tables safely to make it profitable esp for 3rd party food companies.

I def agree with you that many of our perks that were included in our premium WDW priced vacation packages will now cost. The polite term is pricing a la carte. More honest term is nickle and dime. Like many, I presently don't see the point in staying onsite. Will see how WDW evolves in 2022. Otherwise, offsite or Universal is the logical choice.

I hope FP comes back especially with what they are doing with the 1/2 hour early entry for onsite guests. We love onsite but will need 2 rooms next couple of trips if both kids come with us. Our trips were going to transition to offsite after a few onsite days. But will we ever get to ride headliners without a long wait if we're offsite? We are rope drop, rest in afternoon people. We love evenings in the parks too. They were already cutting hours before COVID. I think they will also bring back paid events, which we would consider if staying offsite. Could do that with the savings. Especially if onsite perks like EMH like they used to be are gone.

I think that the mask are there to stay .

Disney is not going to keep masks in place if they don't have to. I personally will not be going back to Disney until you no longer have to wear a mask. I find breathing in a mask to be annoying, so I am not going to be spending a ton of money on a vacation were I have to wear one, I'd rather just stay home.

Disney is not going to keep masks in place if they don't have to. I personally will not be going back to Disney until you no longer have to wear a mask. I find breathing in a mask to be annoying, so I am not going to be spending a ton of money on a vacation were I have to wear one, I'd rather just stay home.

100% this.

On the topic of what Disney will look like, I thought I had heard that Bob Chapek said during the earnings call that masks and social distancing are likely to continue until the end of 2022. END OF 2022. :scared:

So we are waiting until that happens. As is everything with Covid, the goal posts keep getting moved, so we pretty much don't trust anything that anyone says at this point. We won't book a trip back to Disney until we see with our own eyes that Disney is Disney again (NO masks, fireworks, parades, fast passes back, etc.) Until then we are planning on vacationing elsewhere and potentially not returning until 2023. Feels like a LIFETIME away (I had a good cry about it last night, lol) :crazy2:

As an aside, has your town/province said anything about what their "new normal" will be?

I'm in Alberta and we are on a phased reopening again based entirely on hospitalization numbers. 150 or less means amusement parks open, indoor concerts, festivals, wedding ceremonies, sporting events (indoor and outdoor), indoor play places and indoor entertainment, workplaces can go back to being in the office and not from home anymore, etc.. as close to "normal" as we have seen. (No mention of masks.) Right now we are at 387 people in Alberta hospitals so if things continue most likely spring/summer we should hit that magical number of 150.

Last edited:
the truth is, it all depends on how full the hotels are. We all know the less money they can spend and still have full parks and full hotels the less they will spend. I expect there to be a huge surge in demand so it may be a while before Disney brings back any of the things they have cut. Magic express being cut will have a direct impact on hotel occupancy so I expect that will be one of the first things to return assuming Mears still will be interested in running it. I assume that no fireworks and having to book a park both reduce ticket revenue from park hoppers so I would think those will return quite quickly also. Especially the park booking part because while the fireworks cost money, dropping the park booking is free.

100% this.

On the topic of what Disney will look like, I thought I had heard that Bob Chapek said during the earnings call that masks and social distancing are likely to continue until the end of 2022. END OF 2022. :scared:

So we are waiting until that happens. As is everything with Covid, the goal posts keep getting moved, so we pretty much don't trust anything that anyone says at this point. We won't book a trip back to Disney until we see with our own eyes that Disney is Disney again (NO masks, fireworks, parades, fast passes back, etc.) Until then we are planning on vacationing elsewhere and potentially not returning until 2023. Feels like a LIFETIME away (I had a good cry about it last night, lol) :crazy2:

I'm in Alberta and we are on a phased reopening again based entirely on hospitalization numbers. 150 or less means amusement parks open, indoor concerts, festivals, wedding ceremonies, sporting events (indoor and outdoor), indoor play places and indoor entertainment, workplaces can go back to being in the office and not from home anymore, etc.. as close to "normal" as we have seen. (No mention of masks.) Right now we are at 387 people in Alberta hospitals so if things continue most likely spring/summer we should hit that magical number of 150.

Hey there's hope. He actually said he expects masks and social distancing to continue throughout 2021, and said absolutely not to expecting masks and social distancing in 2022.

I don't see festivals, etc here this summer. Sure we might get to the point that we could have them, but these kinds of things need so much prep work to get off the ground I doubt too many resources are going into getting things together when it's a crap shoot.

Also, I saw a couple of articles about the CDC suggesting you don't need to quarantine if you've had the vaccine and you are exposed to someone with Covid-19. I'd suspect if they are coming out with this, it won't be too long before they say you've got the vaccine, you've got a negative covid test, you're good to travel and not quarantine. Hopefully!

https://www.phillyvoice.com/cdc-quarantine-guidelines-covid-19-vaccine/

100% this.

I am hoping this was him just trying to set low expectations and that they are really looking at removing those restrictions ASAP.

What will be interesting to see is what happens once most of the US is vaccinated, what kind of testing/controls will they still have in place given that a large number of WDW guests are from outside the US.

If it is till the end of 2022 I will be :scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared:

I am hoping this was him just trying to set low expectations and that they are really looking at removing those restrictions ASAP.

What will be interesting to see is what happens once most of the US is vaccinated, what kind of testing/controls will they still have in place given that a large number of WDW guests are from outside the US.

If it is till the end of 2022 I will be :scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared:

I guess we can expect the worst case scenario then be pleasantly surprised if it's sooner than that.

It will all depend on further studies ongoing. Doctors and Scientists still don't know how effective vaccines are in terms of transmissibility. We know the effectiveness of how well it helps the vaccinated individual not get sick, but they're still trying to figure out how well the vaccine protects from the person being able to still spread and harm a non-vaccinated individual, hence why vaccinated people are still supposed to wear a mask and practice social distancing.

Although some early research out of Israel (the highest % vaccinated population) looks potentially promising on this front.

Me too. I only wear one when I need to grocery shop (and can't wait to rip it off once I leave the store). Other than that I'm only going to work (our workspace is huge and only 2 of us so we don't mask as we are very socially distant), and outside jogging. I certainly don't mask up for outdoor exercising.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter