Let's Rediscover the Magic! - New TR 7/26

afwdwfan

DIS Dad #460
Hi! My name's Andy. Long time Diser, but I'm a bit of a stranger here lately.

I'm currently halfway done writing a TR that I started in 2017. I will get it done... maybe with an update dump sometime, but I have begun writing some of what I have left to post. I tend to be on top of getting my TR's done right after a trip, but something happened.

Our trip in 2017 was fun. I enjoyed it. But I was the master planner for a large group and I felt like I was herding cats and constantly had my nose in my phone changing FPs for people.

And I got kind of burned out.

I still remember the way I felt our last day leaving MK. I usually drag my feet and move as slow as possible because I just want to savor every last moment. But that afternoon, I was ready to go. I was done.

I tried to write a TR as I always do... There were plenty of highlights from the trip and I don't mean to take away from that. But it just didn't leave me feeling the magic the way most trips in the past have. It was our youngest son's first trip so it will always hold a special place in my memory. It was also the trip that our oldest was able to ride some of my favorite big kid rides with me and that's something special too.

But I think I just hit that Disney wall. I've always enjoyed planning our trips, but it seems almost as if it has gone from you "plan to get the most out of your experience" which incentivized me and challenged me and I really enjoyed it. And now it is almost a case where you "plan because Disney makes you schedule everything and you're screwed if you don't." In other words, it's work. And that's how it felt at the end of the week coordinating everything.

In addition to that, my absence was spurred by some added responsibilities at work. I just didn't have time for everything I wanted to do and that included time perusing the Disboards.

So that leads me here. I'm back and I'm planning a trip again.

This time a much, much smaller trip.

If you asked me a year ago when I'd be going back to Disney World, I'd have told you no sooner than 2022. That's where my mindset was. I wasn't super eager to get back. The parks are more crowded, the prices just keep rising and there's a ton of new things coming in the next few years, so why go now? To me, it just made sense to save up for a few years and go after some of the shine wears off of Galaxy's Edge (as if) and the big anniversary has come and gone.

So I guess I should introduce our cast. We don't always dress this nice, but we were at my cousin's wedding a few weeks ago and this is the most current picture of all of us together.

33800203098_715b344961_b.jpg

I'm the big guy with the beard. As I mentioned, my name is Andy. I'm 37 and I've been a lifelong Disney fan and have been helping plan trips since I was a kid. The magic dissipated a bit, but getting back to the Dis, reconnecting with Disfriends and doing some research for our trip has helped recharge my batteries a bit and I'm eager to dive in!

DW was a reluctant Disney fan at first. She had been a couple of times before we were married, but they had been quicker trips and I think she felt like the week long trips that my parents and I like to go on were a new level of crazy. But she has since come around and is now probably just as big of a Disney fan as I am, if not bigger. She's actually the one that suggested this trip and got us looking into going back.

DS, our oldest, is 9 years old and in third grade. He enjoys all things Marvel and Star Wars and is pretty disappointed that we're going before Galaxy's Edge opens. He enjoys playing basketball and soccer. He loves animals and is old enough to participate in 4-H now so we have 2 calves and 2 pigs that he's going to show at our county fair a week before our trip. He still must like the Lion Guard because he chose to name one of his pigs Kion. He's become my thrill ride junkie and has listed his favorite rides in each park as:
Splash Mountain
Test Track
Tower of Terror or Rock n Rollercoaster
Flight of Passage.

DD is 6 (7 at the time of our trip) and is still somewhat in the princess phase. But don't let that innocent look fool you. Her favorite hobby is antagonizing her brothers and seeing just how much she can get away with. Her favorite movie right now is still Moana. I asked her favorite ride in each park and it was a bit of an adventure getting answers...
Splash Mountain - no, Goofy - no, the space ship one - Space Mountain, the indoor rollercoaster? - That one!
Test Track - no, Frozen.
Flight of Passage - you hated that - Oh, what else is in AK? - Kilamanjaro Safari, Expedition Everest, Dinosaur - Dinosaur!!!! - Really? - No, what was Expedition Everest? - The one with the Yeti - Yeah, that one! I like going backwards but I don't like the Yeti!
Tower of Terror - Really, or did you just say it because your brother did? - Not really... Rock n rollercoaster - you've never ridden that - oh... Slinky Dog - you've never... ok, fine.

LG, Little Guy, is our youngest and he's 2 (3 at the time of our trip). He's going to be our challenge. He was born with a hole in his diaphragm and given 50% chance of survival before he was even born. He spent the first 3 months of his life in the hospital and has undergone quite a few surgeries. He's doing well right now, but we do have to monitor him for some potential problems. He's a bit below the normal growth curve and he's not as verbal as most kids his age, but other than that he's doing great and hitting his developmental marks. We are a little concerned though in that he's very headstrong, stubborn, ornery... well, you get the point. I have to think that this side of him is part of what has helped him through all the challenges he's faced, but it sure makes being his parent a challenge. He doesn't like riding in his stroller, he doesn't want to hold your hand, and after he walks a short distance he wants to be carried. And if he doesn't get what he wants, when he wants it, the way he wants it... meltdown. He's a challenge and I do worry about how it will be in the parks with him. When he gets in those moods, we really haven't found any type of stick or carrot that will get his attention or can calm him on a consistent basis. My response is usually to deny him whatever it is that he's throwing a fit about and just grabbing a hold of him and letting him kick and scream and get it out of his system, because I'm stubborn enough to show him that I can be more stubborn than he is. And usually when this happens I'm working on winning a parent of the year award laughing about whatever ridiculous thing it is that he's so upset about. But when he does that in public... well, I just don't want to be that family, you know?
He loves the Muppet Babies (or as he calls them Wuppet Babies) and he has confiscated every Maui toy and action figure from DD. If he hears music from Moana, he wants to watch it, now. He has been to Disney World before, when he was about 13 months old, so I think it will be interesting to see what his favorite rides are this time around.

And to show you what I mean about LG, here's a before and after picture of him in the IndyCar display at the Indianapolis Children's Museum. He didn't care that there were other kids waiting, he had no intention of getting out of that car. Cue the 10 minute meltdown.

47624280212_70c71e9219_b.jpg

47624280092_5ee24ee587_b.jpg

And here's the best Easter picture we were able to get. Obviously someone didn't want their picture taken.

46761756325_e54fa48484_b.jpg

So thanks for joining me here. My absence from the Dis really does have me feeling a bit lost as I plan. I know things are constantly changing and I'm not up to speed with everything, so I'll value and appreciate any and all feedback I can get to help me make the most of it!

I'll be back soon with the details with the when and how this trip came to be!

First!

I really hope you find the magic again. I've had to take breaks from WDW before and it really helps find the pixie dust again.

Can't wait to hear about your planning!

Jill in CO

Last edited:
Looking forward to following along as you plan. I've had that "done" feeling before and felt like I wouldn't need to go back for a while. But after some time passes, I always get the bug again. Hope you rediscover that Disney Magic!

I'm here too! Your kids have grown up so much. You have a beautiful family.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you plan with a 3 year old in tow since we'll have a 21/2 year old in December who is headstrong too. I think I remember you having to butt head with your daughter too?

Joining in!

I liked all the introductions! I'm not sure if I've seen many pictures of your wife before. And you all clean up very nicely when necessary! :)

I think I can relate a little to your burnout. I have a trip in October. I'm well past my 180 mark and I've only made one reservation.

I hope this trip gets you out of burnout and there aren't too many meltdowns!

Joining in! Glad that you've started this PTR! It was nice to read about the kids and what they are into these days :goodvibes

Yay PTR! I hope that planning this trip helps bring some of the magic back!

I had a fairly big gap between trips (January 2016 to July 2018, so ... 2.5 years), so I get that lost feeling. Hopefully everyone around here can help you figure things out! (I'm happy to help when I can, but I don't know how much help I'll be since my two recent trips were only lightly planned because work stress ... but I have done Toy Story Land twice, so I can answer TSL questions!)

Also ... your kids are so big! Still cute ... but much bigger than the previous pictures of them I've seen.

Last edited:
Beautiful family Andy, and I would have never guessed you were the big guy with the beard...SHOCKER! You know, the attitude LG has definitely helped him handle his medical issues. My daughter had the same feistiness and it helped her get through all her issues. I love the fact that you are holding him upside down out of the car! Too funny! (not so when you're there, I'm sure!)

Here! Looking forward to hearing your plans. If you need any good tantrum spots that are away from people, let me know

I'm here! Holy moly, your kids have grown up so much!!! I hardly recognized DS in the family pic. It doesn't seem like you were gone from the boards that long.

I'm returning to WDW for a real trip in the first time in about 3 years, and I'm discovering how daunting planning for everything has gotten. However, I have gotten so much help from the PTR board that I hope you get the same results with this thread. Everyone is incredibly helpful and offer suggestions that can really make life easier.

Hi Andy!!! Welcome back!!! And FYI, Disney just released FREE dining for the Summer... Go quick and grab it before it's all gone!!!! :car:

Joining in. We once traveled with a party of 11 and it was definitely different than other trips. I'm glad that you are going to give it another try with a fresh new outlook.

I'm here, Andy! :wave2:

Your family looks GREAT - what a nice picture! As others have mentioned, I can't believe how big your kids have gotten! You and your wife look great, too!

Your DS and I would get along quite well - what a great selection of favorite rides! I hope my daughter grows up to be a thrill ride junkie, too. :goodvibes

I think this PTR should be a great help on growing the magic for you. It's hard not to get more excited when you're surrounded by enthusiastic Disney fans! I also think many folks will be happy to help with your planning questions. I can't be of much help as you've been to Disney more recently than I, but I'll pipe in with tips I've read from others' reports if I can! If nothing else, I'll be an enthusiastic Disney fan for you! :thumbsup2

Joining in!

I completely get what you're saying about it starting to feel like planning Disney is work. I've been there (as I'm sure a lot of us on the boards have) and we had to take a total break from Disney in 2014 because of it.

Looking forward to your planning and rediscovering the fun and joy of Disney!

I am here!!!!! And ready to help out or judge your choices... Whichever comes first. ;)

Test Track - no, Frozen.
Flight of Passage - you hated that - Oh, what else is in AK? - Kilamanjaro Safari, Expedition Everest, Dinosaur - Dinosaur!!!! - Really? - No, what was Expedition Everest? - The one with the Yeti - Yeah, that one! I like going backwards but I don't like the Yeti!
Tower of Terror - Really, or did you just say it because your brother did? - Not really... Rock n rollercoaster - you've never ridden that - oh... Slinky Dog - you've never... ok, fine
I love this. This sounds like me, well, not with which rides or which but I have a hard time picking my favorite. I just love them all!

He has been to Disney World before, when he was about 13 months old, so I think it will be interesting to see what his favorite rides are this time around.
I think his favorite rides were being carried by anyone who wanted to carry him.

First!

I really hope you find the magic again. I've had to take breaks from WDW before and it really helps find the pixie dust again.

Can't wait to hear about your planning!

Jill in CO
Thanks for joining! I've taken breaks, but they've been longer than 2 years. I think I'll be fine. Getting back here has certainly helped give my inner planner a bit of a re-birth.

Looking forward to following along as you plan. I've had that "done" feeling before and felt like I wouldn't need to go back for a while. But after some time passes, I always get the bug again. Hope you rediscover that Disney Magic!
Thank you! Getting back here has helped bring some of that feeling back!

I'm here too! Your kids have grown up so much. You have a beautiful family.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you plan with a 3 year old in tow since we'll have a 21/2 year old in December who is headstrong too. I think I remember you having to butt head with your daughter too?
Thank you! Well, I'll certainly share what I can to help. Although I feel like planning will be one thing and reality another entirely. :rotfl2:

Joining in!

I liked all the introductions! I'm not sure if I've seen many pictures of your wife before. And you all clean up very nicely when necessary! :)

I think I can relate a little to your burnout. I have a trip in October. I'm well past my 180 mark and I've only made one reservation.

I hope this trip gets you out of burnout and there aren't too many meltdowns!
Thanks! I can easily see you getting burnout... I mean you guys go a lot, but at the same time, you've always got a more leisurely pace than my frantic one. You not making many ADRs though is a pretty big change from normal!

Joining in! Glad that you've started this PTR! It was nice to read about the kids and what they are into these days :goodvibes
Thanks! I'm glad you're here!

Looking forward to you rediscovering the magic.
Me too! :rotfl:

Yay PTR! I hope that planning this trip helps bring some of the magic back!

I had a fairly big gap between trips (January 2016 to July 2018, so ... 2.5 years), so I get that lost feeling. Hopefully everyone around here can help you figure things out! (I'm happy to help when I can, but I don't know how much help I'll be since my two recent trips were only lightly planned because work stress ... but I have done Toy Story Land twice, so I can answer TSL questions!)

Also ... your kids are so big! Still cute ... but much bigger than the previous pictures of them I've seen.
I've been longer than 2 years before. But things are changing fast these days... things that have a direct impact on park strategies. I've just got to get it all figured out.

So in TSL... I'm thinking FP Slinky Dog, RD Toy Story Mania and Aliens Saucers?

Beautiful family Andy, and I would have never guessed you were the big guy with the beard...SHOCKER! You know, the attitude LG has definitely helped him handle his medical issues. My daughter had the same feistiness and it helped her get through all her issues. I love the fact that you are holding him upside down out of the car! Too funny! (not so when you're there, I'm sure!)
His attitude has had to have served him well. And it wasn't so much that I was holding him upside down... he had a death grip and wouldn't let go. The kid is like a monkey and I had to get the feet/legs clear of the car before I worried about prying the fingers or it would have been a never ending battle. :rotfl2:

Here! Looking forward to hearing your plans. If you need any good tantrum spots that are away from people, let me know
We need all the "break glass in case of emergency" spots we can come up with!

I'm here! Holy moly, your kids have grown up so much!!! I hardly recognized DS in the family pic. It doesn't seem like you were gone from the boards that long.

I'm returning to WDW for a real trip in the first time in about 3 years, and I'm discovering how daunting planning for everything has gotten. However, I have gotten so much help from the PTR board that I hope you get the same results with this thread. Everyone is incredibly helpful and offer suggestions that can really make life easier.
You're coming back to the World too? Awesome!!! It is a lot to take in. Things have changed drastically in just a short amount of time.

Hi Andy!!! Welcome back!!! And FYI, Disney just released FREE dining for the Summer... Go quick and grab it before it's all gone!!!! :car:
Thanks! We actually already grabbed free dining. Honestly, that's the only reason we've made ADRs. But I'll get into that a little later...

Joining in. We once traveled with a party of 11 and it was definitely different than other trips. I'm glad that you are going to give it another try with a fresh new outlook.
::yes:: Our last few trips have been "extended family" trips. And don't get me wrong, I love those. I have a blast with BiL. When we can go off and just be "big kids" its a lot of fun. But when you're planning for such a big group, some of which want to do everything but don't know the first thing about Disney planning... man it wears on you.

I'm here, Andy! :wave2:

Your family looks GREAT - what a nice picture! As others have mentioned, I can't believe how big your kids have gotten! You and your wife look great, too!

Your DS and I would get along quite well - what a great selection of favorite rides! I hope my daughter grows up to be a thrill ride junkie, too. :goodvibes

I think this PTR should be a great help on growing the magic for you. It's hard not to get more excited when you're surrounded by enthusiastic Disney fans! I also think many folks will be happy to help with your planning questions. I can't be of much help as you've been to Disney more recently than I, but I'll pipe in with tips I've read from others' reports if I can! If nothing else, I'll be an enthusiastic Disney fan for you! :thumbsup2
DS definitely has my taste in rides! I'm glad he can be my ride buddy.

I appreciate any and all enthusiasm and support I can get!

Joining in!

I completely get what you're saying about it starting to feel like planning Disney is work. I've been there (as I'm sure a lot of us on the boards have) and we had to take a total break from Disney in 2014 because of it.

Looking forward to your planning and rediscovering the fun and joy of Disney!
Thanks! I'm already starting to feel more motivated about it by just getting back here and cruising around the boards.

I am here!!!!! And ready to help out or judge your choices... Whichever comes first. ;)

I love this. This sounds like me, well, not with which rides or which but I have a hard time picking my favorite. I just love them all!

I think his favorite rides were being carried by anyone who wanted to carry him.
:rotfl2: Judge away! It may or may not change anything, but I always appreciate another point of view to make me think about things differently.

How Did We Get Here???

Well, that's a good question.

Last fall, DW and I were talking about what we wanted to do with the kids this summer. Every summer we do some type of family vacation. Often times with her family or my family on some type of extended family trip. Disney World is usually in the running for those, but Gatlinburg is a frequent destination too. This summer, we didn't have any plans with any extended family. We kicked around a few ideas for things we hadn't done as a family before but nothing just really seemed to stick or get us excited.

DW suggested Disney and while I'd normally say yes before she could finish talking, I was a little more hesitant this time... for reasons mentioned above. I mean the plan wasn't to go back yet.

But we started thinking about it from a money perspective. DS is 9. After this year he'll be an "adult" in Disney's eyes. LG is 2... after June 16, we'll have to pay for him.

Maybe we can plan something where we check in right before his birthday???

Well, that's how it started. We honestly spent several weeks looking at options, pricing things out, but never pulled the trigger. Again, the magic wasn't there. I've been known to book trips that I knew there was a 90% chance they wouldn't happen just on that slight chance that it might. This time, I just never got there. We kept circling back though and as we looked at our summer activity schedule and what the kids had going on, it became clear that this idea just wouldn't work anyway. We really couldn't justify being away for a week in mid-June with so much going on.

So we started looking at July. The biggest pro, from a schedule perspective, we didn't have any obligations at home that we'd be missing out on. But the downside... it was July in Florida. Which might only be marginally hotter than June, but it's the mental block of it being July. Also, LG would be 3. We'd be paying for a kid who is not going to be able to ride anything with a height requirement and eats probably less food in 1 day than most kids eat at 1 meal. Again, just not feeling the magic.

We couldn't completely drop the idea and some things started to fall into place to make it more palatable. We have a Disney Visa card and I've taken on a new role at work in the past year (which led to a big part of my Dis absence.) This position has basically put me in a situation where I have had to make some purchases and host some events on behalf of the company... but I don't have a company card. I just put these expenses on my Disney Visa card and get reimbursed. I had accumulated enough points to pay for a significant portion of the trip.

Still didn't sit well with me that we'd have to pay for LG, but ok... we'll do it.

We looked at several different options, but decided a moderate resort might be our best bet. We've done Coronado Springs before... not my favorite. We've done Port Orleans Riverside before. We really liked it and came close to pulling the trigger on it. But we've never done Caribbean Beach Resort. The price was a little bit better than POR, it has just been refurbished... and it may or may not (probably won't) have a skyliner running this summer. So we decided to give it a go!

Since we'd be paying for LG at meals on this trip, we decided we weren't going to get the dining plan and we weren't even going to schedule ADRs. It was just going to be a Quick Service trip and really, we'd have more than enough food just sharing a few meals.

But we wanted to do something special for the kids. DS and DD are old enough that they can contribute some to the planning. They knew we'd been talking about going to Disney World, but we'd never said anything to them to confirm that we'd go.

It was 1 week to the day before Christmas when we booked the trip.

We decided that what we'd do to help defray the outlay of cash during the trip was that we'd get some gift cards over the coming months to pay for our meals. We went ahead and got 3 of them to put in the kids' stockings for Christmas to let them know that we are going to Disney World. They also had a note that they'd each get to pick 1 restaurant where they wanted to eat and we would use that gift card to pay for our meal.

Since LG is a little too young to give his input and it has been a staple that our kids enjoy, his default choice was Chef Mickey.

DD bounced back and forth between several options, but finally settled on Cinderella's Royal Table.

DS also bounced back and forth between a few options before picking Garden Grill.

So that was the plan... 3 ADR's spread out over the week. Otherwise, we aren't over planning this trip!

At least that was the case until January 2 or 3... whenever Disney dumped free dining on the world.

Luckily enough, we managed to get in on that offer. We qualified for free QS dining with our stay at CBR. But doing some quick math, I could upgrade us to the regular dining plan for about the same cash outlay that we'd have just at Cinderella Royal Table. It was a no brainer.

So with that, here's the rough outline of our plans:

Drive down, stay 1 night offsite using hotel points in Orlando area and hit Magic Kingdom bright and early to start our Disney time.

6 nights at Caribbean Beach Resort checking in on a Sunday, with 7 day park hoppers. I know hoppers aren't necessary, but we tend to hop a lot later in the week to see things we missed or we'll just get the sudden urge to go to EPCOT for a couple of hours for a snack or to eat somewhere.

Sunday: Magic Kingdom, ADR-Lunch at Chef Mickey
Monday: Hollywood Studios, ADR-Breakfast at Hollywood & Vine - Fantasmic Package
Tuesday: EPCOT, ADR-Lunch at Garden Grill
Wednesday: Animal Kingdom, No ADR
Thursday: Magic Kingdom, ADR-Lunch at Cinderella Royal Table
Friday: Either EPCOT or DHS, maybe a sleep in day, no ADR
Saturday: Possibly EPCOT or DHS in the morning, then MK, ADR-Lunch at Crystal Palace

We'll check out Saturday and stay offsite again, locally, that night using another free hotel night. We might go to Disney Springs the following morning if we feel the need to and then we'll drive to Hilton Head for 3 nights there (not at the Disney resort, unfortunately) before driving the rest of the way home.

I haven't given much thought to FPs yet. I've got a couple of weeks to get that finalized, but right now here's what I'm roughly thinking:

Sun: 7DMT, BTMRR, Splash - the mountains would be late afternoon when we return to the park after lunch and a break
Mon: Slinky Dog, RnRC, ToT
Tue: FEA, MS, who cares-rope drop is what matters-insert random group B here.
Wed: FoP, KS, EE
Thur: Space, Splash, JC
Fri: If we decide to do Epcot, probably TT and 2 random group Bs. If DHS, probably TSM if we were able to get Slinky Dog the first day.
Sat: BTMRR, Splash, Space

I don't know. I might completely scrap that plan. We're pretty heavy on the mountains, which is what the older kids want to do, but I know we'll do a lot in Fantasyland too. I guess I'm banking on our ability to do RD for things like PP and Pooh.

Hehe... PP and Pooh.

Maturity is overrated.

Anyway, I guess I'm hoping for RD to work in our favor to get a lot of the Fantasyland attractions knocked out so that we can have FP for the Mountains as we make our way around the park. Tell me I'm right or tell me I'm wrong... that's why I'm here!

Also, tell me if you've had any experience with the mermaid school? I've done some searching, but information seems to be very scarce on it. We're looking into getting DD in on that one morning at the pool at Caribbean Beach.

So that's the framework for this trip and how it came to be. Next order of business will be hammering out the day to day details and getting those Fastpases booked!

Your plans sound good! It's great that you were able to get free dining and upgrade it for a cost that made sense!

I think it's smart to do FPs for the mountains. You should be able to do PP and Pooh :-)rotfl:) and rope drop!

So in TSL... I'm thinking FP Slinky Dog, RD Toy Story Mania and Aliens Saucers?

Yep, that's probably the best plan. If I'm remembering correctly, Aliens and TSM usually have similar length lines. Slinky Dog line gets very long very quickly, so if you can't get a FP+, plan to be there early for rope drop.

Plans look good! Fantasyland stuff can usually be done with decent lines at rope drop ... and something like Pooh you can always get a 4th FP+ for later in the day if you miss it at rope drop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter