Let's be thankful that we get to GO to WDW!!

ggeorgiagirl

Valdosta, GA
I love reading all of these stories...here is one of mine!
I am a teacher and for my first few years, I taught in one of the poorest towns in Georgia.

This particular year, I had 100% minorities in my class. I was the field trip coordinator and we had been going to Atlanta for soooo many years so, I wanted to change it up and take them to Epcot. Most of the older ladies DID NOT want to take 150 5th graders to WDW! I had to BEG and PLEAD (and since I was coordinator...I would be more than will to pass off the job to someone else...NO ONE wanted it)...so, I won the battle! I GOT TO PLAN THE ENTIRE TRIP MYSELF!!!! I loved every minute of it, too! Unfortunately, most of my own class could not afford to go :sad2: I just did not know what I was going to do! The others said "Just leave them with a sub". My grandfather stepped up to the plate and paid for my entire class to go! Can you believe that? It STILL brings tears to my eyes! THEN...right before the trip...he sent each one of my kids $10! I can honestly say, it was the best WDW trip of my life. These kids had never been out of the county MUCH LESS to the most magical place on earth! When we pulled up...the entire bus was SILENT! And best of all, they were soooo appreciative!

I know how the CM's feel when they grant those Magical Moments!

Beautiful pic and beautiful story. As a fellow teacher, I have to ask: "do you also have any pix of the kids?" I would love to see that.

While the trip was a great story, I'm finding your grandfather the even better story. What an absolute treasure. You are a fantastic person for getting the ball rolling and he is amazing for picking it up and running with it. My sons will never believe that I am using a football analogy. :sad2:

What an inspiration your family is and what a caring and wonderful teacher you must be. Thank you for giving teachers a good name!! :thumbsup2

I'm absolutely floored by your determination and your grandfather's generosity.

:grouphug:

That is so incredible. Your grandfather earned crowns in heaven for that one. What a wonderful thing for him to do and for you to coordinate it and fight for them.

It is great to know there are people in the world with such big hearts ~ sharing the magic of Disney is one of the best gifts!!!

:tinker:

Well you didn't have to go and make me cry like that. Bless you and your grandfather. What a wonderful story!!!!!!!!

I love you all! Thanks for the kind words! My Grandparents ROCK! They always do generous things like that!

I do have some of the BEST pictures but I can't post them...liability and all! My FAVORITE picture is one with a fellow teacher, myself, and 3 girls from my class. We are standing in France with our Minnie Mouse Ears on...the Mime was right behind us! The girls had never heard of a Mime much less seen one in action! He pulled them into the "show" and the entire crowd LOVED it! It was incredible...really!

I am very blessed by God to have such wonderful memories and such wonderful Grandparents!

boy your grandfather is pretty wonderful!!!

I bet you are pretty wonderful teacher too - as well as a wonderful person.

and yes everyone should be appreciate even going to WDW - when so many children can't.

No, kidding. Bless you and your grandfather. The tears started when I read the sentence about the bus pulling up to the entrance and the entire bus being silent. Sacrificing for children is certainly what I consider the Disney spirit. The other day there was a thread about people who had not paid the fee for MVMCP staying in the park after it was closed. There were so many very angry people who had paid and were outraged about others being there for free - and being angry that the fireworks they were paying to see were then being shown to the "general" public. They were there. They had been blessed with the money to attend the party. I guess there must be the feeling that those who cannot afford something are somehow undeserving... Although my circumstances have changed drastically - and I can now afford to stay in deluxe resorts - I remember working my bottom off when I was very poor, a single mother of two sons, going to school full time, working a part-time job mowing gthe grass, cooking, cleaning, taking out the garbage, overseeing the homework.... Working hard is not just the provenance of the middle class and children are deserving regardless of their parents' incomes. Bless you and your family for caring so much.

You and your grandpa both earned your wings for that. What a fantastic story. You just made my morning. :thumbsup2

So now I am at work trying to hide my tears...that is an absolutely wonderful story and I am so glad you shared it.

Not only is that the essence of Disney, but it is exactly what humanity needs more of... more caring, loving and giving people. You & your grandfather not only gave these kids a cool trip to Disney, but you also showed them that people, who aren't even their family members--who don't have to care, do care about their education, their well being, their future.

I have always believed that new & different experiences open a whole new world of imagination & opportunity. That is a big reason why I may have an average house, wear average clothing and eat out at average restaurants, but I make it a priority to find money to spend on travel. :) My parents were very working class (aka poor), but I too have grandparents that ROCK...and they always found a way to help me (an sometimes my friends) go places and experience life outside of our relatively poor, rural Wisconsin community. I am all the better for it.

Maybe it is no coincidence that my grandma was a teacher...she too knew what was important in learning for life. i suspect you are a great teacher too. :cheer2:

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful story!! We really do sometimes take things for granted!! You and your grandfather are both angels!!

Trish

OMGOSH! I think you are all are very kind...but it SURE wasn't me! It was my grandfather! I just did what EVERYONE reading this thread would do!!!!! I was just doing my calling! I love Disney with all of my heart and I just REALLY wanted to share it with those kids! They DESERVED it! I am just blessed, thats all!

I think about that trip often (it was 3 years ago) when I read these boards! So many people get caught up in their own lives and forget that sooooooo many kids NEVER get to enjoy the magic! I know that everytime one of my kids see the YOMD commercial....they know exactly what it is! By the way, we live 3 hours away! You would have thought that at least ONE of my kids could have gone. I would say that out of 150 students, AT the MOST, 10 had been to MK...NONE to Epcot! My grandfather paid for every student in my class and every student that could not afford to cost that were in other teachers rooms!

One neat thing that I did was bring in my Passport to show the kids. They really got a kick out of it because I WAS AT LEAST 20 LIGHTER in the pic! I made the whole student body a blue "Passport". They got it stamped at every country! They were SOOOOOO proud!

I am actually taking a year or so off to be a SAHM! Y'all are making me miss my job!

Thanks for all your kind words!

Beth

You have a wonderful, generous family. Thanks for a story that puts everything in perspective. :thumbsup2

I just read your beautiful story to my own two children. God Bless you and your grandfather!! I'm sure those children will remember that trip for the rest of their lives! :goodvibes

We are always telling our chldren how fortunate they are to have what they have (and yes, get to go to WDW). I took my DD9 to work with me yesterday and there she met one of my coworkers who is from Africa, and he told her how in his village, people must choose between educating their children and feeding their cattle. The cattle win, since they are needed for food, leaving the children uneducated. He was there this summer and it saddened him so, that he's starting a campaign to fund an education system for the children of his village. My DD, who wants to be a teacher, was amazed. He drew her a map of Africa, she was talking about it today so I know it made an impact.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts